Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2009, 04:01 PM

Police dog petition

Below is the link to a petition to hopefully change legislation resulting in persons who assault/stab/kill police dogs being charged with an offence similar to that of assaulting an actual officer, as opposed to the current situation which results in them only being charged (at most) with criminal damage to property

please sign and forward to all your contacts

http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/policedogassault/
talassie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2009, 04:11 PM
Have signed
Reisu
Almost a Veteran
Female 

15-02-2009, 04:15 PM
Signed too
Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2009, 04:38 PM
Signed it, hope it makes a difference
5dog
Dogsey Junior
Male 

15-02-2009, 07:21 PM
Signed it, we will see!
JanieM
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-02-2009, 07:39 PM
Have signed too!

Gosh, this never even crossed my mind and I would have thought that it would be a way more serious crime, what those dogs do is amazing.
5dog
Dogsey Junior
Male 

15-02-2009, 08:25 PM
unfortunately when a police officer is assaulted, alot of the time it is dropped before it gets to court the defence will plea bargin, drop the police assault charge and my client will plead guilty to the theft, type thing, so the chances of a police dog getting treated any better are almost nil.
sounds a bit harsh but its true.
Most dog sections are run by officers who have never been dog handlers and are only there for their next promotion, (not all but most). The police dog is a tool the same as a baton or CS spray, if its broken get a new one. If the handler retires or wishes to leave and the dog has still got a working life in it, just take it from the handler their family and home and give it to a new handler, its just a dog!!!.

If this sounds harsh , I am sorry but it is the reality of most of the UK police forces.

My personal opinion is a police dog is for life and not for an officers tenure.
Think I strayed a wee bit from the original thread soz, wee rave
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2009, 08:43 PM
Originally Posted by 5dog View Post
unfortunately when a police officer is assaulted, alot of the time it is dropped before it gets to court the defence will plea bargin, drop the police assault charge and my client will plead guilty to the theft, type thing, so the chances of a police dog getting treated any better are almost nil.
sounds a bit harsh but its true.
Most dog sections are run by officers who have never been dog handlers and are only there for their next promotion, (not all but most). The police dog is a tool the same as a baton or CS spray, if its broken get a new one. If the handler retires or wishes to leave and the dog has still got a working life in it, just take it from the handler their family and home and give it to a new handler, its just a dog!!!.

If this sounds harsh , I am sorry but it is the reality of most of the UK police forces.

My personal opinion is a police dog is for life and not for an officers tenure.
Think I strayed a wee bit from the original thread soz, wee rave
Totally agree and I think (and hope) most police dog handlers would strongly agree with you - (that is a police dog handlers, and not just policemen with a dogs )