Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
talassie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-02-2009, 05:41 PM

confused about 1 year vaccination

My dog is due her 1 year booster vaccination. I have read the various threads about vaccinations but am still confused. Is it recommended that a 1 year booster is given and then boosters every 3 years. Or is it the puppy vaccinations at 7 and 10 weeks and then boosters every 3 years?
Hope you can help!
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-02-2009, 05:55 PM
Boosters are every year but they don't get everything every year . However the dog does get a heath check at the same time and that can only be a good thing
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-02-2009, 06:45 PM
Most vaccines now last for up to 3 years, apart from Lepto which doesn`t last a full year. I`d be very wary of over-vaccinating a very young or an old dog, so why not discuss this with your vet...and ask questions.
talassie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-02-2009, 07:15 PM
ok thanks will discuss with vet but not sure I really trust vets' opinions about vaccinations.
Schip
New Member!
Female 

14-02-2009, 07:23 PM
http://www.canine-health-concern.org.uk/

Take a look here for some very useful information that might help.
EBMEDIC
Dogsey Junior
Male 

14-02-2009, 07:30 PM
Not this again - have you lot not learned from the MMR debacle on the human vaccination front?
The vets are probably the best to give you the advice you are looking for. Of all the boosters the first year is probably the most important as the primary course occasionally fails to give the immunity required. Probably a theoretical failing but as there is minimal risk and major benefits there is no problem.
talassie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-02-2009, 07:37 PM
Have looked at the link you gave me schip.
Oh dear it's very worrying. I had my previous dogs vaccinated every year without any obvious problems and they lived to a good old age. But now I just don't know what to do. Perhaps I could have a titre test to see what her immunity is and decide then whether to vaccinate.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-02-2009, 07:40 PM
Originally Posted by EBMEDIC View Post
Not this again - have you lot not learned from the MMR debacle on the human vaccination front?
What does that mean?
talassie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-02-2009, 07:41 PM
Originally Posted by EBMEDIC View Post
My GP advised me not to give my daughter the measles vaccination as I had decided not give her the whooping cough one. She did get measles but it was not a major problem and she has had no ongoing effects from getting the disease.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-02-2009, 07:44 PM
Dogs get measles?

ah..........I see.

At the end of the day it`s your dog. Don`t be bullied! Personally I don`t have the boosters done but if I were in an area where such diseases were common I might think again. We all do the best we can.....
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 > Last »