Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ella7500
New Member!
Female 

06-05-2012, 02:49 PM

Kibble in diaherra? HELP

I just got a German Sheperd from a breeder, and when I fed her, my cairn terriers and her were fighting for the food. They all ate her food, and now my dog has been pooping all night and my Sheperd has pooped in the kitchen TWICE today. I constantly take them outside, I just had her outside for a half hour, but then she came in, laid on the couch, got up and pooped in the kitchen as soon as I turned my head. As I was cleaning I noticed there was her food in it, but I didn't see the other dogs and I don't even no if my other cairn terrier has diarrhea, but I don't think he does because he hasn't pooped in the house yet, like the other two did. (the older cairn terrier got diarrhea over night, so that's why he pooped in the house... the sheperd is trained too though..) can this be from (a) changes in food (b) over eating (c) they have a disease (d) stress? If you think it's stress, what can I do? Because I cant give any of my dogs up, but they don't really get along real well all the time... please help, I thank you soooo much!!
DoKhyi
Almost a Veteran
Female 

06-05-2012, 03:10 PM
I'd go for change in the food and it not agreeing with them, hence coming out of the other end undigested and previously house trained dogs not being able to hold themselves. Stress may be contributing to it too. Of course, the GSD bringing in a bug is also possible.

Hope it clears up soon.
3dognight
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

06-05-2012, 03:13 PM
stress of a new dog in the house ,will cause this.and feed changes as well,please dont over look that there may be more to it.keep an eye on there stool,if it goes one for more than a few days ,have them checked out.understand that there are new changes and the dogs will need to get use to one another,dont panic,its all normal.i would get right on the food bowel isssues right away, be paitient and have fun...congrats on your new dog...pics pleas
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-05-2012, 03:25 PM
Feed a new dog separately. Also, find out what she had been fed by the breeder and put her back on that.
When she`s settled, change the food gradually.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-05-2012, 05:37 PM
Most people focus on food as the cause of diarrhoea, it is my belief that it is often the change of water.

When I get a puppy I always take several empty containers to fill with water from the home in order to minimise this risk.

The diarrhoea could be caused by any and all of the triggers you described.

I never feed my dogs together as I like mealtimes to be relaxing stress free times, not a competitive event, especially where breeds predisposed to bloat are concerned.
nickmcmechan
Almost a Veteran
Male 

06-05-2012, 07:49 PM
and do you soak the kibble for the pup before feeding it?
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-05-2012, 07:53 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Most people focus on food as the cause of diarrhoea, it is my belief that it is often the change of water.

When I get a puppy I always take several empty containers to fill with water from the home in order to minimise this risk.

The diarrhoea could be caused by and and all of the triggers you described.

I never feed my dogs together as I like mealtimes to be relaxing stress free times, not a competitive event, especially where breeds predisposed to bloat are concerned.
Good advice. Same is true for HUMANS. Often they blame it here on the local Kebab shop but it is the change in the water that is mostly responsible. (esp. when they are drinking SO MUCH MORE of it due to the high temps)
Ella7500
New Member!
Female 

07-05-2012, 12:03 AM
ok... I kind of just wing it and throw all the food in the bowls at the same time, thus causing 2 dogs who self-feed and a dog who eats when its there to have runny poop. The GSD pooped in the afternoon and it wasn't runny, just squishy. The older terrier is no longer pooping everywhere. Many suggested to put the GSD on what the terriers where eating, so we did and so far so good.. thanks for your help!
mastines33
Almost a Veteran
Female 

07-05-2012, 05:45 AM
Yes, main reason is normally the water and the sudden change to a different kibble... could also be the kibble itself as mine get the poops after eating RC...
Ella7500
New Member!
Female 

07-05-2012, 08:09 PM
they are all good... no more diarrhea thanks so much