Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
CrazyDogLady
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-11-2016, 07:51 PM

Breed Weights

Had Loki into the vets for her annual boosters and check up, vet said she's in good condition with a nice coat but she wouldn't want to see her any bigger.... Hmmmm..... I wasn't sure what to think of it. Loki is a tall but very lean girl of 36.1kg. Is that too big? Just wondering other people's experience with vets opinion on weights?

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2016, 08:30 PM
She looks great to me but without hands on I couldn't be certain.
CrazyDogLady
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-11-2016, 08:37 PM
Originally Posted by brenda1 View Post
She looks great to me but without hands on I couldn't be certain.
Thanks
She has a nice tuck to her stomach and you can feel her ribs when you apply light pressure. With her longer coat it is hard to tell but I was just surprised but after chatting to some other owners with some similar weights their dogs are a different build which can make them look bigger but I think Loki is just a taller build with muscle
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2016, 08:46 PM
This article helps evaluate your dog's weight and condition

http://www.dummies.com/pets/dogs/how...r-dogs-weight/
CrazyDogLady
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-11-2016, 08:49 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
This article helps evaluate your dog's weight and condition

http://www.dummies.com/pets/dogs/how...r-dogs-weight/
Thankyou
From looking the picture example she'd be between thin and ideal IMO as she is very active she burns off so much fat. I just was taken a back a bit that the vet might've been looking at the weight and the fact she's a female GSD instead of her individual build.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-11-2016, 09:00 PM
As long as you can feel her backbone by running your finger lightly down her backbone and her ribs by the same method, then she is fine. She looks perfect I must say in her pictures, so maybe the vet just meant to say she is perfect, I wouldn't want to see any more weight on her!
CrazyDogLady
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-11-2016, 09:07 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
As long as you can feel her backbone by running your finger lightly down her backbone and her ribs by the same method, then she is fine. She looks perfect I must say in her pictures, so maybe the vet just meant to say she is perfect, I wouldn't want to see any more weight on her!
Thankyou Gnasher. Maybe your right! Sometimes I'm a little quick to misunderstand people - obviously spending too much time with dogs! I just take condition quite seriously with Loki's exercise and diet a lot better managed than my own
LMost
Dogsey Senior
Male 

11-11-2016, 02:55 AM
A dog weight actually means very little, it all has to do with body condition.
As long as your dog hhas the proper body condition that is all that really matters.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-11-2016, 08:38 AM
Good point Losos - and I think this applies to us as well. I lost a lot of weight a couple of years ago and got down to 60 kilos, which is very light for me as I am 5 foot eight inches and built like a brick outhouse! However, I certainly was not emaciated, but had no end of hassle from a stupid nurse at our surgery who wanted to refer me to their Eating Disorder Clinic!! I went ballistic - I have now put back on 10 kilos through inactivity over the past year because of my hip, but as soon as I return to work I fully intend to dump the 10 kilos! Weight means very little, the finger test applies to not only dogs but us as well!
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-11-2016, 09:34 AM
I meant to add Loki looks absolutely fine as she is. With the coated shepherds it is harder to see their overall structure, muscle tone and condition but she looks in the peak of health. Like Gnasher, I wonder if the vet just meant she is the perfect weight as she is.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >