View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
CarlaAndgem
New Member!
Female 

13-04-2012, 02:12 PM
yes i agree gem due back at vets for check up thursday so will discuss changes with him then if the food dosnt suit gems in the mean time ill stop it but im sure it will b trial and error until i find one suitible for her
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-04-2012, 01:19 PM
Vets are not necessarily the best people to talk to about nutrition. For instance, far too many of them will loftily state that raw feeding is bad for dogs and show a woeful ignorance of diet in general. It is unfair to say that most vets fall into this category, but considering that nutrition is THE most important element of having a healthy pet, irrespective of species, in my opinion vets do not place nearly enough importance on diet.
CarlaAndgem
New Member!
Female 

16-04-2012, 05:18 AM
Yes will not take it as gospel vets advise as they really havnt been that helpful with gem when she wasn't well and they didn't seem to know what was wrong with her to start with and ended up havin a big costly operation for nothing
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2012, 06:50 AM
Vets may not be experts on nutrition, but they are medical experts which means that if they deem a change of diet during the recovery period from an operation or medical condition is unwise, then any advice in this respect should be heeded.

Once the all clear is given, there are a mountain of websites, forums and opinions available to research on feeding so that you can make your own, informed choices
zoeyvonne
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2012, 06:55 AM
did you manage to get some applaws or similar yet? And how is Gem doing now
CarlaAndgem
New Member!
Female 

16-04-2012, 01:09 PM
yes zoeyvonne iv been this morning so am going to start introducing it to her gem is very well in herself at the moment, it is just this trapped wind and sickness to certain foods
Iv raised her food bowls to see if this helps with the wind
CarlaAndgem
New Member!
Female 

26-04-2012, 08:44 AM
Thankyou everyone for all your replies and advise
im sorry to have to say that my gem died last night at 6.15 she had been absolutly fine and looked in good health and all day yesterday untill 5.15pm we didnt have time to do any thing for her this time im devastated as are every one else in our family. Im so very angry with springfield vets and am taking this further the last advie i got of them last week was to feed her yakult and watch her she has only been off antibiotics a week and half and must have had a serious problem the vet didnt pick up on she was only 6 and a half months old going to miss her loads
zoeyvonne
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-04-2012, 08:55 AM
OMG I am so sorry I really thought it was just food intolerance I am shocked, I bet you are in pieces Will they do an autopsy to find out what it was? If the vet said give yakult he obvs thought it was tummy upset only, I too would take it further that is a terrible misdiagnosis, so so sorry for your loss, run free little Gem so sorry the vets failed you
Mazza
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-04-2012, 09:45 AM
I am so sorry for your terrible loss,my thoughts are with you x

Run free at the bridge Gem. forever young xx
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-04-2012, 12:13 PM
Oh I am so sorry to read this. I didn't really have any advice except to say when my minpin was dreadfully ill as a pup my vet advised giving her just a spoonful of pro biotic plain yoghurt daily and she did manage to keep that down without it further upsetting her.
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >