Our sister sites
Our sister sites
tinatweedale
New Member!
Female 

24-11-2010, 06:50 PM

Colitis and Tina medication not working

Hi all
After reading some of the post regarding Colitis...my poor pooch has suffered with going back and forth to the vets.
Had her anal glands emptied more times than I can remember...before colitis was finally diagnosed?
She is now on medication full time and lives on a diet of chicken and potato or fish...some days are better than others. Tina was a bouncing lovable pooch until she started with colitis...she’s lost weight and become very withdrawn.
Some times with medication she is sick and hates taking tablets...we have to ram them down her throat as she is far too clever to have them in any food.
I hate seeing my pooch like this any ideas or indeed any thing that will give her a better quality of life.
nddogs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-11-2010, 07:27 PM
Our dog had colitus a couple of times breifly and we had him on only cooked chicken and rice (fish sometimes upsets him). We normally put tablets in butter or soft cheese / cheese spread but if that won't work for your dog, could you crush them up and mix up with a small ammount of very tempting food?

It's horrid when they are like that, I hope your dog gets better quickly.

Sophie
nddogs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-11-2010, 07:27 PM
ps If things are really still very bad I'd say go back to the vets. How long has this been going on for
tinatweedale
New Member!
Female 

25-11-2010, 07:27 PM
Hi
The problem has been going on for 6 months or more...and believe it or not Tina is at the vets more or less every week she has been on medication for three months or more.
After a couple of injection this evening I am glad to say she’s perky than normal…we are now going to try the Hills I/D and hope we see a result.
We are back at the vets again tomorrow to see if all is well…thank you Sophie I hope she get better… (Colitis) in dogs is horrid and I just hope we can find the correct diet for her
Bev
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2010, 07:38 PM
Hi, sorry about your poor dog. My lurcher has recently been poorly with a tummy virus, the vet says it may be colitis. I have had a hell of a time trying to find a food that doesn't give her the runs and she is like a bag of bones. Like your dog she has had AB injection, Promax paste and AB tablets. Her poos have never been the same since.

Have you had a stool sample done ? your dog could have campilobacter or another bug. If its ongoing your vet will probably suggest you have it done.

The thing that helped believe it not was Chappie dry dog food and the tinned food is good too, it might be worth a try for your dog.

Hope your dog is feeling better soon.
Alf
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-11-2010, 10:09 PM
Your dog sounds as if it has IBD.
Our Chessie had this very bad and nearly died from it. The only food he can tolerate, even now 3 years later is Chappie tinned original.
The dry Chappie is not the same in any way.

Do you give anything else like treats or titbits?
nddogs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-11-2010, 04:10 PM
Thats a long time, I wouldn't know what to suggest but I hope the hills improves things.

Sophie
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-11-2010, 06:07 PM
I have heard that Burns pork and potato food is great for dogs with bowel problems .
tinatweedale
New Member!
Female 

27-11-2010, 05:28 PM
Thanks all for the advice she has had another 2 injections and is now on antibiotics.
We have started the Hills canned wet food so crossing fingers hope it works...she has also got an abscess on her anal glands so we are now trying to get her back on tract.
Vet wants to do a biopsy but we have to see how she is and if she gains weight the good news is after the injections she has been like a spring chicken will keep you all updated.
Thank you once again for all the advice.
Ps Its nice to see her up and about again thought I had nearly lost her...if the Hills is not right will try Chappie.
Beverley