labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-11-2010, 10:52 AM
Originally Posted by TangoCharlie View Post
Thanks for your replies.

Even a respected site like dogfoodanalysis.com
remarks on the 40% protein,
"The only caution we would make on this food is that the high protein content may make it suitable for adult dogs only, particularly in the case of large breeds."

What happens to excess protein?

[link removed]
Sorry to say it but that website is BS. Nowhere are the credentials of the authors listed. That whole website is purely one persons opinion of what makes a good dog food and what does not.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

17-11-2010, 10:56 AM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
Hi TC
Dogs undoubtably need a certain level of protein if they are to be healthy and for working dogs, to work efficiently. I have never really understood the whole don't give dogs too a high a protein diet argument, it doesn't seem logical to me. I wonder sometimes if this is a myth put out by the multinational pet food companies along with the notion that 'eating red meat makes dogs aggressive' .

If a high protein diet led to unwanted behaviour and contributed to aggression, all those feeding a high protien raw/barf/prey model diet would have big problems and I don't think they do.
On the contrary I would say that dogs fed on foods full of chemical additives/poor quality ingredients/very low protein are more likely to have behavioural problems than those fed on a natural high protein diet.
post continued..

I have been thinking about this and wonder if when concern about a 'high protein diet' is mentioned it is actually in the context of manufactured complete food.

Dogs fed on complete foods may be getting a concentrated form of protein when eating only a small amount of food where as those fed on a varied raw diet are getting protein which is in a less concentrated form because it is mixer with fats and moisture.

I will give you an example, this is a product made by one of the newer natural raw food companies..

Moisture 67.2%, Protein 18%, Fat 13.8%, Ash 0.9%, Fibre 0.3%
  • Ground British beef breast (40%)
  • Tripe (40%)
  • Heart (10%)
  • Liver (10%)
...we can see that the meat content is 100% but the protein level is only 18% because the meat being body tissue contains moisture and fat .

In order for a dog too eat too high a protein diet when fed a none manufactured/concentrated varied diet it would need to regularly eat very large quantities of food.
When fed a concentrated food/a none varied diet a dog could be getting a high level of protein in a relatively small amount of food making overfeeding and getting too high a level of protein more likely.

ETA of course I am not a nutritionist and am just using logic here .
TangoCharlie
Dogsey Senior
Male 

17-11-2010, 11:28 AM
I have found this information which is interesting

"Excessive intake of proteins promotes the excretion of calcium, which depletes the bones of minerals and may also cause fluid imbalances. A dog may begin to drink a lot more and therefore house training may break down. Bone or joint pain may result in lameness and a reluctance to exercise. However, the pain may cause the dog to become uncharacteristically aggressive or anxious when approached or handled."
- Val Strong.
TomtheLurcher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-11-2010, 11:45 AM
My hounds have high protien working dog kibble , I dont think it affects their behaviour but may be wrong ! Bonus is its VAT free ! They seem to enjoy it but think the important thing is as in humans feeding the right balance and treats in moderation .
TangoCharlie
Dogsey Senior
Male 

17-11-2010, 11:54 AM
Originally Posted by TomtheLurcher View Post
My hounds have high protien working dog kibble , I dont think it affects their behaviour but may be wrong ! Bonus is its VAT free ! They seem to enjoy it but think the important thing is as in humans feeding the right balance and treats in moderation .
Surely if you feed pet dogs working dog food there will be excess energy which may manifest itself in unwanted behaviour?
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-11-2010, 12:01 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Many people seem to think high protein means a mad dog! Thats not true at all. A BALANCED diet is what a dog requires, proteins need to be balanced with fats etc to maintain a healthy animal. Its far more likely that a cheap complete food with colours and additives will send your dog a bit loopy!
Its a first! This is so right, you need to look at the propotion of fats etc. Knocking colourings and additives on the head makes a huge difference to behaviour in some dogs.

rune
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

17-11-2010, 12:05 PM
Ozzie and Snoop had orijen puppy food growing up i was worried about the protein levels after reading the same info you did .Only issues we had was wind . ..Swapped to Solid gold and issues went away ...
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-11-2010, 12:50 PM
Just to add, I was once told by a pet food company that the ONLY reason they do a working dog food is the fact that they can supply a cheaper version because it's vat free, and that's ALL they do it for, there is NO difference in the food they tell me?! This was the company who do those frozen slabs of tripe and fish etc. that you see in P@H, Prize Choice is it?
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-11-2010, 12:52 PM
I thought growing dogs needed calcium.
And I also thought dogs can`r digest carbohydrates?
It sounds like an excuse to use certain brands of manufactured kibble. Is the research independant?
TomtheLurcher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-11-2010, 01:40 PM
Originally Posted by TangoCharlie View Post
Surely if you feed pet dogs working dog food there will be excess energy which may manifest itself in unwanted behaviour?
Not sure maybe it depends on the amount of exercise they have to use up the energy , I know the usual thing with these hounds is they require a minimum of 2 x 20mins walks per day but mine always do more than that and have a run in the field every day too practising recall and having fun with the ball, they certainly dont exhibit behaviour that suggests excess energy perhaps they run it off ?
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >