View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
TangoCharlie
Dogsey Senior
Male 

17-11-2010, 08:55 AM

Can high protein food result in more unwanted behaviour/energy?

I have just changed my puppy onto Orijen Puppy Complete which is listed as 40% protein. It is good quality protein however.

But can a high protein diet produce more energy and therefore more unwanted behaviour? For example 40% protein in Orijen for my puppy or a high protein working dog food for a family pet Labrador?
Also, I think there is some research that by lowering the protein content can help aggressive dogs but i haven't looked into that yet.

Orijen
http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/dogs/d...d/orijen/44954
k9paw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-11-2010, 09:10 AM
I always thought that the higher protein foods were for very active dogs ie working dogs as they burn it off quicker(something like that). Know of some aggresive dogs who's behaviour was imroved a lot just by them being fed lower protein food. If any of that makes sense(sorry not very good at explaining).
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

17-11-2010, 10:24 AM
Hi TC

But can a high protein diet produce more energy and therefore more unwanted behaviour? For example 40% protein in Orijen for my puppy or a high protein working dog food for a family pet Labrador?
Also,I think there is some research that by lowering the protein content can help aggressive dogs but i haven't looked into that yet.
Dogs undoubtably need a certain level of protein if they are to be healthy and for working dogs, to work efficiently. I have never really understood the whole don't give dogs too a high a protein diet argument, it doesn't seem logical to me. I wonder sometimes if this is a myth put out by the multinational pet food companies along with the notion that 'eating red meat makes dogs aggressive' .

If a high protein diet led to unwanted behaviour and contributed to aggression, all those feeding a high protien raw/barf/prey model diet would have big problems and I don't think they do.
On the contrary I would say that dogs fed on foods full of chemical additives/poor quality ingredients/very low protein are more likely to have behavioural problems than those fed on a natural high protein diet.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-11-2010, 10:28 AM
Many people seem to think high protein means a mad dog! Thats not true at all. A BALANCED diet is what a dog requires, proteins need to be balanced with fats etc to maintain a healthy animal. Its far more likely that a cheap complete food with colours and additives will send your dog a bit loopy!
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-11-2010, 10:30 AM
Fat & carbs are used for energy more than protein is.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-11-2010, 10:37 AM
Agree with labradork there, proteins are for body building which is exactly what you need for a growing dog imo!

I know with the horses, we are always guided by the protein content in the food, because the higher the protein the more fizzy the horses, sometimes you can't sit on them if the protein level is very high, we called it rocket fuel lol!
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-11-2010, 10:40 AM
My dogs are all now on raw meat and I don`t think you can get higher protein, can you? I`d be more concerned about sugar from beet, maize etc and the effect of additives etc.
zoe1969
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-11-2010, 10:43 AM
I thought that puppies need a high protein food for growth for muscle development etc. I don't think it's the protein that has an effect on behaviour but I may be wrong.
TangoCharlie
Dogsey Senior
Male 

17-11-2010, 10:44 AM
Thanks for your replies.

Even a respected site like [mod edit ]remarks on the 40% protein,
"The only caution we would make on this food is that the high protein content may make it suitable for adult dogs only, particularly in the case of large breeds."

What happens to excess protein?

[link removed]
k9paw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-11-2010, 10:51 AM
Agree about the additives,sugar etc. balanced diet, didn't think about the raw feed aspect I have been told that protien is slower release energy in humans, making them feel fuller for longer, is it same for dogs? This is very interesting because a lot of the dog foods for older or less actives dogs are generally lower protein. If you raw feed do you just give older dogs less? I'm well confused now(sorry no help, but interesting thread).
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »