Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

18-07-2010, 09:12 PM

Breeds you don't expect to find in rescue

Am I wrong but seeing a year old Anatolian Shepherd in rescue is a shock to me,
I assumed they were a rare dog in the UK ...
lisa01uk87
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-07-2010, 09:59 PM
none, if you think about it, most breeds have a breed specific rescue, if you look around the rehoming centres or their websites you will see quite a mix of dogs looking for homes. sad but true
Crysania
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-07-2010, 10:01 PM
I would be surprised to find a Puli in rescue. They're pretty rare, especially here in the States.
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

18-07-2010, 11:25 PM
Its a breed I didnt think you would see in battersea ..
Kanie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-07-2010, 12:24 PM
I am one of the Irish Terrier Breed Rescue coordinators and I can report that despite them being regarded as one of the less familiar breeds, a few years ago a grand total of 26 came through rescue This does not account for those we know nothing about, who may have ended up passed around via the small-ads! We also speak a a fair number of owners who are at the end of their tether.

Too often it is because, although we have a dedicated and honest core of experienced breeders who are not afraid to turn potential owners down and make sure anyone buying an Irish knows exactly what they are taking on, there are also a minority of breeders who are just in it for the money and do not have the experience / patience / conscience / intelligence......to work with owners if there is a problem.

There is also a misguided idea that because they are so-called Heritage breeds (latterly known as 'vulnerable') that more and more should be bred. As a result, numbers are increasing, but when it is the same few stud dogs doing all the work (because their owners will let anyone use them, regardless of the quality of the bitch or the competance of the bitch's owner to find suitable homes and offer a proper back-up service) the gene pool isn't really deepening much at all

We have a lovely 18 month old dog looking for a home at the moment, but he needs an experienced home with a job to do; be it agility, trials, caniX, picking up, rabbiting, ratting or anything that makes him use his legs and his brain to good effect!

His previous owners are good and sensible people, but they were not cut out for a high-drive male Irish and the breeder was unable to offer any practical support. He is currently living happily with a behaviourist and enjoying extra exercise with a very successful CaniX competitor and her Irish. However, this is not a long-term solution and he desperately needs an experienced home. Whoever takes him on will have the full backing of the breed clubs, rescue and the behaviourist who is working with him now.

Sadly, most people who ring up wanting a rescue are just taken by the appearance of the breed and have no inclination to give a home to a dog that needs daily mental and physical stimulation.

This lad could be someone's absolute dream dog, but despite posting his details on several sites specifically for dogs looking for working homes - the sort of people who he would really suit probably have no idea what an Irish Terrier really is or have just heard all the old cliches about the breed and take them as Gospel!
Mother*ship
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-07-2010, 12:46 PM
Originally Posted by Murf View Post
Am I wrong but seeing a year old Anatolian Shepherd in rescue is a shock to me,
I assumed they were a rare dog in the UK ...
I guess that there are unethical breeders even in the more unusual breeds. Someone probably got this dog without doing their homework and then found they couldn't handle him? Conversely maybe the breeder doesn't know what the owners have done?

Affenpinschers aren't very common and all the breeders I know take back their dogs for whatever reason and they have an active breed club rescue but someone could dump a dog in rescue without telling the breeder.

My friend who breeds Elkhounds had a dog handed back to her (because it was barking too much!) anyway he has gone on to do really well in shows getting Best of Breed in his last few and becoming a champion so she is exceedingly pleased that she got him back!!! (And he barks no more than any other Elkhound )

J.
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-07-2010, 01:21 PM
Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever. I'd love one of this one day and ideally a rescue but it might be a looooong eait. There is one breed specific rescue that get sone in but I doubt one would pop up at Battersea any time soon! All they have at the moment it many many staffs and a few jack russels, so sad must be hard to home so many of the same breed.
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

19-07-2010, 01:36 PM
The amount of staffs ,staff crosses and bully crosses at battersea is amazing ..
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-07-2010, 01:40 PM
Originally Posted by lisa01uk87 View Post
none, if you think about it, most breeds have a breed specific rescue, if you look around the rehoming centres or their websites you will see quite a mix of dogs looking for homes. sad but true
I agree! Alot of people say their shocked to see Chinese Cresteds In rescue! Only If they knew!

I have never seen an Italian Spinone In a rescue shelter, although Im pretty sure they have their own breed rescue.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

19-07-2010, 01:51 PM
I would be very distressed to see a BMD in rescue as they really need to go to breed specific or better still back the the breeder although after 18 months they are hard to re-home as they become very attached to their family.

I hate to see any breed in rescue to be honest.
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 > Last »