Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
bint
Dogsey Senior
Female 

31-10-2006, 11:02 AM

Wish fireworks were banned!

Made the mistake of walking the dogs at 7pm last night. Five minutes from home an enormous firework shot up overhead & exploded. It was the type you would normally see at an organised display & you can imagine how shocked the dogs were (& me!). I turned calmly to walk in the opposite direction away from the area & another two of them went off. My young utonagan isn't normally scared of fireworks but he was absolutely terrified & it took me all of my strength to keep hold of him. For an hour after we got home he wouldn't even step in the garden & when he did spent the time glued to my side, nervously watching the moon & stars. I felt so sorry for him & sooo angry that these huge fireworks are being sold to the general public.
This morning he was very jumpy on our walk & spooked at things he would normally have ignored. It's going to take a lot of time & patience I think.
Wonder if the idiots who set these huge things off had animals of their own? What if one had gone off sideways? I'm still fuming.
IanTaylor
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

31-10-2006, 11:08 AM
Couldn't agree more...... at very least they should be kept for organised displays only.... and best they should get rid alltogether..... Strange country that celebrates a terrorist attack anyway eh....
rob
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

31-10-2006, 11:37 AM
Originally Posted by bint View Post
Made the mistake of walking the dogs at 7pm last night. Five minutes from home an enormous firework shot up overhead & exploded. It was the type you would normally see at an organised display & you can imagine how shocked the dogs were (& me!). I turned calmly to walk in the opposite direction away from the area & another two of them went off. My young utonagan isn't normally scared of fireworks but he was absolutely terrified & it took me all of my strength to keep hold of him. For an hour after we got home he wouldn't even step in the garden & when he did spent the time glued to my side, nervously watching the moon & stars. I felt so sorry for him & sooo angry that these huge fireworks are being sold to the general public.
This morning he was very jumpy on our walk & spooked at things he would normally have ignored. It's going to take a lot of time & patience I think.
Wonder if the idiots who set these huge things off had animals of their own? What if one had gone off sideways? I'm still fuming.
Sorry to hear about that bint the only problem we have is with Kitty Kat as Bob will sit in the garden and watch the fireworks
lovezois
Fondly remembered
Female 

31-10-2006, 11:45 AM
I too think they should be banned or at the very least only be used at an organised display on the night of the 5th not every night for weeks before and weeks after. Shops should not be allowed to sell them to the general public. Not only would this stop all our danimals being scared out of their wits, but it would also stop kids being hurt by fireworks.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

31-10-2006, 11:50 AM
I also agree that they should be for display purposes only and banned from sale to the general public.Our dog last year Zanta was fine with them till someone let one off and it came over our fence she was sleeping in the garden she was a total wreck.Ollie seems fine but we were walking the other night and he was on his lead it was dark and one went off near to us he did try to run as it was so loud and such a shock to him.
Moli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-10-2006, 11:57 AM
My Gypsy is terrified of any bang! not just fireworks, I Got tablets called Serene-UM. they are a natural food supplement, and calm dog and cats, she has been on them a week, and they have really helped...
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-10-2006, 12:14 PM
I would love to see them banned as well except for organised displays on the 5th or a compromise, just pretty SILENT fireworks (yes you can buy boxes of silent fireworks) on sale to the general public for home use only and only displays on the 5th allowed noisy ones.
That way people could have thier fun and our animals could rest peacefully without fear.
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-10-2006, 12:16 PM
Yes I would dearly love them to be banned - I can't for the life of me understand why explosives can just be sold wily nilly over the counter - its just not right I think organised bonfires only should be able to purchase them and end the misery of injuries to pets and children that occurs every bonfire time
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-10-2006, 12:17 PM
i hate, loathe and despise fireworks and think there should only ever be organised displays.
I know so many dogs who's lives have been ruined by them.
I'm afraid at this time of year we cut right back on our walks and there are never any after 3pm on most nights. The thing is, you could have a dog that is fantastic around them...but it won't be fantastic for long if it has one explode very close to it or even worse, hit it. Better safe than sorry.
I hate this time of year.
bens mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-10-2006, 12:28 PM
we are going to a display on the 4th nov, but ill be putting the dog n cats in our hallway, shutting all the doors but leaving a radio on to help cover the noise,ill also have to put the cat food away or ben will help himself LOL
we have a garden center thats selling all those big fireworks across the road, so of course the erberts around here get their older mates to go in and buy some for them, so then we have bomb blasts going off in the street.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >