Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
melsgems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-09-2007, 09:15 AM

is my GSD giving me presents?

Everytime me or my OH come home Zak our GSD always picks up something be it a sock, shoe, glove or his toy and bounces around with it saying hello etc. Is he just trying to say welcome home and heres a treat? or does it mean its mine and your not having it? no aggression shown at all just pure delight we finally come home....

Just a query not a problem as I think its quite cute but it would be nice to understand what he is doing

Mel
Helen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-09-2007, 09:28 AM
Harvey, my gwp will do this. He will search round for something to bring me and keep nudging me until I've taken it off him. I've always assumed it was his pleasure at seeing us and his retrieving instinct.

Helen
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-09-2007, 09:34 AM
My gsd Georgie always does this when I have friends round! He never does it for me, but he will for my friends that he loves, so I'm guessing he wants to reward you for coming home to him so soon, he's pleased to see you
Stormey
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

20-09-2007, 09:34 AM
All my labs do it, jake does not. Star has a fave cushion, Skye picks up any chusion handy and Storm would pick up anything and I mean anything.

They do it when someone enters the house and also to smack with when its tea time.
boobah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-09-2007, 09:37 AM
Nero's Smeags does this all the time with them and any visitors,trouble is she wont give you what she has lifted.She just parades with whatever as much to say look what I've got and you aint getting it,:smt044 :smt044 :smt044
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-09-2007, 09:41 AM
Wilson is completely lost if he isn't carrying something to say hello with, he always has to go and find something. I find it very sweet!
Becky
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

20-09-2007, 09:56 AM
Ollie does this but we have taught him to do it because he is a very mouthy breed he would grab our arms and hands,so we taught him get a toy he does it automatically now.
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-09-2007, 09:58 AM
My English Setter Charlie has always done this - none of the Gordons bother - too busy trying to jump on us!!! But Charlie loves to find a toy to have in his chops when saying hi!

No idea what it means - but like it
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-09-2007, 10:55 AM
Probably partly because he wants to play now that you're home, so is bringing a toy for you to play tug or fetch with and partly because each time he does it you grin and say 'aww' or praise him for bringing it etc so now he thinks it's really clever to bring it because it gets him fuss!!

Neither of mine would ever bother but T will bring me toys if I'm not paying her enough attention in attempt to get me to play with her
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-09-2007, 11:12 AM
Fudge does this when she wants attention. She goes and finds something she knows she shouldn`t have and then trots around like a dressage pony!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >