Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2006, 11:29 PM

Children and discipline

Has anyone ever watched Supernanny? What's the deal with the 'naughty chair'? Anyone actually tried this with their kids? I

can't see that working on me when I was a kid - I think I'd just have refused to sit on it. I was a bit stubborn - I remember being told I couldn't leave the table until I ate all my dinner so I just sat there for ages and still didn't eat it. Luckily my parents didn't serve it up cold for the morning's breakfast .
ceiron
Almost a Veteran
Male 

09-06-2006, 11:39 PM
lol, its the naughty step :P

but a chair or corner works equally as well, its jsut a technique that isolates the child and doesnt give them attention, thus no attention no point of misbehaving, then when good behaviour is praised its positiive reinforcement, what are yo ulikely to do next time, misbehave and be ignored or behave and get attention.lol

i stil lthink child and dog training is identical.lol

as for nto obeying wel lthen your forced their, and held their by your parents and still ignored.
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2006, 11:43 PM
but I have always thought, what makes the kid sit on the step / chair...I mean it only works if it will sit there?...ummm I would have just not sat there, then what?
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2006, 11:47 PM
Originally Posted by myschievous
but I have always thought, what makes the kid sit on the step / chair...I mean it only works if it will sit there?...ummm I would have just not sat there, then what?
Exactly - that's what I thought. Doesn't it defeat the object if the kid has to be dragged there and held there by force?
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2006, 11:54 PM
I would have had to of been super glued...lol

I guess the has to be other things it is backed up with like you wont get to watch whatever (fave programe) for a week if you don't sit / stand there...I dunno...can't work out what the power of the step / chair is other wise?
ceiron
Almost a Veteran
Male 

10-06-2006, 12:22 AM
lol, no forcing them their does enforce the rule, seriously does as it shows no matter theirdefiance they wont win and slowly the kid realises, hey im not going to win.

i guarenteee it does work
BrandieSnap
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2006, 12:50 AM
Apparently if you put them back there everytime they get up they will eventually get the point and stay there. You're meant to carry on even if it takes an hour or something
I didn't think you were meant to force them to stay there though Just carry them there if they won't go!
ceiron
Almost a Veteran
Male 

10-06-2006, 01:09 AM
yead thats what i ment hun.lol

although in extreme cases you can sit and hold them there
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

10-06-2006, 06:46 AM
I had to sit on the stairs in the hall if I was naughty, I didn't dare move,if my Mum or Dad told you off there was no argument and no answering back and why.
We didn't know about Childrens rights in those days,you were the Child, Parents were Parents and that was it,it has certainly done me no harm.I was never smacked though.In fact I didn't end up on the stairs very often either.
Berger
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2006, 08:12 AM
I agree with this I have three children. There is no one more stubborn or more strong willed than me. I have used the bottom step on my two youngest. My eldest was a child sent from heaven and even at 14 still is. With my younger two no matter how much they got up off the step they would be put straight back on it.
At first this would take a while to set in. They would try their luck, but would be put back on the step very quickly (I'm a stubborn cow) I wouldn't say a word, no matter how much they fought me. As soon as they calmed down I would let them get up. They soon got wise to it and hardly need to be put on it now.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >