Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-10-2009, 01:43 AM

Histiocytoma

Two weeks ago, I took jake to the vets coz he had a wee lump on his side. The vet said it was a histiocytoma, and that it would get bigger (coz it must have come recently coz I had only noticed it that morning) but it should go down and if it hasn’t started to go down in 4 weeks, ive to take him back.

Well, its got bigger but it has also got very red, and now its got quite scabby looking with flaky skin and theres a black bit on it… its starting to worry me. He doesn’t seem to have any pain from it and I haven’t seen him scratching it, or anything. Although it looks very sore…

Is this normal for a histiocytoma?
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

09-10-2009, 06:41 AM
I have no idea but might be worth getting it checked out again.
moetmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-10-2009, 06:48 AM
I would take him back to the vet today.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-10-2009, 07:04 AM
hi,
histiocytoma's are common in young dogs,they are not dangerous in themselves but can get infected.if he was mine i would have it taken off and sent away for analysis if poss,as your vet will not know it is a histicytoma until this is done
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-10-2009, 07:31 AM
Teagan has had a few on her feet. Hers have never disapeared, and I've always got the vet to remove them
So it sounds normal to me.
Annajayne
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-10-2009, 08:04 AM
My last lab had one of these on his lip when he was 18 months old. The vet removed it because he said they get infected and messy. I was also told they are common in young dogs. He never had another. Might be best to have it looked at again.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-10-2009, 10:30 AM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
hi,
histiocytoma's are common in young dogs,they are not dangerous in themselves but can get infected.if he was mine i would have it taken off and sent away for analysis if poss,as your vet will not know it is a histicytoma until this is done
thanks. the vet said, that if it doesnt go away she wants to take it off as a precaution. i will try and get a pic of it to show you, if he stays still long enough

Originally Posted by Hevvur View Post
Teagan has had a few on her feet. Hers have never disapeared, and I've always got the vet to remove them
So it sounds normal to me.
thanks, i was hoping it would go coz i couldnt handle when he got neutered, worried so much, so this will be worse lol

Originally Posted by Annajayne View Post
My last lab had one of these on his lip when he was 18 months old. The vet removed it because he said they get infected and messy. I was also told they are common in young dogs. He never had another. Might be best to have it looked at again.
thanks, i think his might be getting infecting then...
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-10-2009, 11:17 PM
im going to take him to the vets in the morning, its got much worse over today i took pics but they arent very good coz of the flash when i tried to get a close up one.

its started looking very scabby now
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2009, 10:44 AM
took jake to the vets this morning... she gave me a steroid cream for him and apply it twice daily for 7 - 10 days. if its still here and hasnt got better, then she will remove it. surely they would just be as well to remove it?? saves all this stuff, with tablets and creams. how does it go away itself? what happens to it?
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2009, 11:26 AM
Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
took jake to the vets this morning... she gave me a steroid cream for him and apply it twice daily for 7 - 10 days. if its still here and hasnt got better, then she will remove it. surely they would just be as well to remove it?? saves all this stuff, with tablets and creams. how does it go away itself? what happens to it?
it wont go away by itself
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >