Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2012, 09:33 PM
Originally Posted by Niccie View Post
I didn't say being poor meant you can't look after a dog, but Julie mentioned her dog had problems and she couldn't afford to try a different diet.
I believe you get what you put into a dog and a good diet for the dog should be part and parcel of being a dog owner.
But she's doing the best she can with what she has. Steroids aren't cheap and if they work then it's better than switching and swapping foods.
Baileys Blind
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2012, 09:48 PM
Just sat and ploughed through the 48 pages of this. Can everyone just agree to disagree.

Each dog is individual to it's circumstances, which are created by us humans. If they're brought up in a certain way, they know no different so don't miss what they never had.

I had a gsd x akita dog which preferred to be outside, I tried to have him as an indoor dog but he didn't like it He spent all day and night in the back yard, he'd come indoors and say hello, have a cuddle, eat his dinner, go for his walkies etc but as the door was always open he would take himself off outside, I even watched him once when it was snowing laid outside, covered in snow playing catch the snowflakes I called him to bring him indoors, which he did but he prowled and whined until I opened the door and he happily went back outside. He was like that from being 8 weeks old However I enforced him being inside at night at that age but by 6 months he was outside almost permanently. I ended up turning my outhouse into a kennel for him but he rarely used it.

It was his choice to be where he was no-one forced him we had a great bond and I have some brilliant memories of him, certainly no less of a bond than I have my current indoor dogs
abbie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2012, 10:09 PM
I haven't read all of this but I do think that dogs are extremely adaptable and it is how I want my dogs to be.

Whilst I personally would never chain my dogs they live in the house and they also have kennels and runs outside. We have a mobile home where they all sleep in kennels and runs when we are there and they also spend nights in the van at shows etc.

My dogs are happy wherever. They get plenty of time spent with them, walking, training, playing, and just being with them.

If I had to say which they prefer I would honestly say the van. They all know that the van means they are going somewhere great fun.
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2012, 10:33 PM
Finally reached the end of this thread (it was on 25 pages when I left) an I didn't think this would be my bedtime reading! I'm not quoting every one because I'm on y phone and it takes too long.

I think that we are all going to have to agree to disagree.

Jackbox. SLB did text me asking for more info. I've been in work so haven't been able to get on. She isn't lying, and neither am I. The kennel is on raised flags, so it doesn't get any water in. And I'm sure if there house was flooding they would move the dog it's sort of ok between two farm buildings (not a tiny gap in between either, a small yard)

The dog in question in my eyes is well Looked after and loved, she is only really alone at night, and a bit in the day when there's no one in the yard. She is exercised well and eats well. Maye they could have her in a run but that's not my choice it's theirs and like moobli's dogs the dog has no issue with being on the chain, she sees her kennel as her "nest"
I will try and get some pictures of the dog either off my friend, or when I am next up at their farm, which should be some point this week as I'm handling their horses at the minute.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2012, 10:34 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
It is relevant to your comment because you said keeping dogs on chains is cruel. I don't happen to think, in certain circumstances, that it is.

You say you don't think one form of cruelty justifies or excuses another. So I am saying to you that I know of people who consider your keeping a border collie as a pet as cruel. No, it might not "justify" said persons from keeping their working dogs on a chain, but I am trying to show you that there are two sides to every story. What one person may consider cruel, the next may not.
Can you please quote a post where I said chaining dogs is cruel? Maybe I am having a complete memory lapse, but I cannot remember saying that, at all. I have no need to.
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2012, 10:58 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
What is ideal? And what is a long period?

rune
What do you want? Exact figures?

It, of course, depends on the size of dog and the size of crate. A small dog in the large crate would be able (IMO) to be in a crate for longer, than a large dog in a large crate...
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-07-2012, 07:01 AM
Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
Can you please quote a post where I said chaining dogs is cruel? Maybe I am having a complete memory lapse, but I cannot remember saying that, at all. I have no need to.
My apologies, you said you didn't agree with it, not that it was cruel.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

09-07-2012, 07:31 AM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd View Post
It is sad isn't it, just look at it as a mirror JB. A mirror in order to make a point, sometimes it's the only way to get through to people.....
I think there is only one reflection in your mirror, your own ,

Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd View Post
Shame that you've opted not to answer my post on the subject in question though eh? Nothing to say there then, no? You're not picking on a totally irrelevant point in order to avoid labouring your point on the subject at hand are you? No, no, you'd never do that, what am I thinking?!
What post
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-07-2012, 07:44 AM
Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
What do you want? Exact figures?

It, of course, depends on the size of dog and the size of crate. A small dog in the large crate would be able (IMO) to be in a crate for longer, than a large dog in a large crate...
Not really an answer but not really surprised.

What is a large crate? what is a small dog? how long is too long?

rune
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-07-2012, 07:49 AM
Originally Posted by Niccie View Post
I didn't say being poor meant you can't look after a dog, but Julie mentioned her dog had problems and she couldn't afford to try a different diet.
I believe you get what you put into a dog and a good diet for the dog should be part and parcel of being a dog owner.

If you think we haven't tried everything we could before putting him (at the vets advice) onto steroids you are wrong.

No diet will cure a dog of a grass allergy, we have taken care to provide a (not very cheap) diet that excludes his other allergents but unless we make him a prisoner and never take him out he will come into contact with grass and birch (his main problems).

I do wonder where you think the money would come from for an even more expensive diet though - we can't work longer hours it would kill us and I don't think that would help the dogs at all as it was obvious very quickly why Duncan was in a shelter waiting for adoption, not too many people will take on a dog that needs as much as he does IMO.
Page 48 of 50 « First < 38 45 46 47 48 49 50 >