View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-08-2009, 08:38 AM
probably going to cause friction here but everyones entitled to an opinion....

whether you agree or nor pitbulls(and their types), should be banned is not for you to decide - laws the law - like i said whether we agree or not....

so as the law stands - they are banned so in this case im on the side of the police woman -

nuff said on that...

as for the rest of the programme.. i found it really intresting as always....
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-08-2009, 08:51 AM
Both looked like Pit Bulls to me.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-08-2009, 08:53 AM
Originally Posted by suze View Post
probably going to cause friction here but everyones entitled to an opinion....

whether you agree or nor pitbulls(and their types), should be banned is not for you to decide - laws the law - like i said whether we agree or not....

so as the law stands - they are banned so in this case im on the side of the police woman -

nuff said on that...

as for the rest of the programme.. i found it really intresting as always....
But there in lies the problem.

A pitbull type could be a boxer cross, some collie/lab crosses have that look about them....who decides....

At the moment it is up to the indvidual in charge of the situation (policeman/woman usually) to decide.....if you get one who happens to not like dogs then woe betide you.
**Leanne**
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-08-2009, 09:19 AM
It's always a sad situation, but they are illegal and owned by plonks! I don't think it's fair to tar any breed with the same brush, every dog is different. Wasn't impressed by the police officer but I liked the guy who caught the other and explained that a dog cornered will be more aggressive - I mean some people watching might not know that and think it's just an evil dog.
Plus I loved his dog Nelson, hopefully they do well in the Nationals! And diesel just seemed to absolutely loved his job which is lovely to see.
kobebear
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-08-2009, 09:24 AM
i watched the programme as well last night and it upsets me to think the poor dogs have to be PTS because of their owners making them fighting dogs, i wondered instead of putting them to sleep couldnt they be assessed by whoever assesses dogs and then maybe if they thought they wouldnt be dangerous after being trained maybe they could find a loving home with someone who would not breed and teach them to fight.
inkliveeva
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-08-2009, 09:28 AM
It is very sad, I felt so sorry for the dogs, did you see the police woman use her foot with the first dog to put it in the kennel, then they said good job, as if the poor thing had been going for them or sommit, I think these officers should be put on appropriate courses for awareness on dog breeds and handling them...
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-08-2009, 09:36 AM
What I didn't understand if if it is illegal to own these dogs, why were the dogs just seized and pts rather than the owners being arrested as well as I am sure they'll just go straight out and get another?

Where is the deterrant to actually owning these dogs, not just using them to fight with, or as a weapon? The general public, educated and numpties, find it hard to see that owning one is illegal when they are seen and the owners just don't even get cautioned!

They did both look like pitbulls to me, and although one was young and had no signs of having fought (scars etc) and the other was clearly terrified they, under the law, could not be safely rehomed and may have made it back into the wrong hands so can't see an alternative to being pts, sad though that was for the dogs.

As usual the dogs are always the losers
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-08-2009, 09:40 AM
Originally Posted by kobebear View Post
i watched the programme as well last night and it upsets me to think the poor dogs have to be PTS because of their owners making them fighting dogs, i wondered instead of putting them to sleep couldnt they be assessed by whoever assesses dogs and then maybe if they thought they wouldnt be dangerous after being trained maybe they could find a loving home with someone who would not breed and teach them to fight.
They can't...the reason they are PTS is because the dogs are illegal. People should not have them full stop.
inkliveeva
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-08-2009, 09:47 AM
Dog attacks up 50% in last ten years
3 June 2008

The number of people hospitalised for dog attacks has increased by almost 50% in the past decade, according to a new report, commissioned by pet insurer LV=. Nine out of ten (88%) of these attacks required emergency treatment and the average hospital stay after a dog attack is two to three days.

Incidents involving children under the age of nine account for one in five (21%) of all attacks and children often suffer the most serious injuries. The LV= research has found the problem is particularly bad in urban areas. Over the last five years the number of patients under 18 treated for dog bites in London has more than doubled, and in the West Midlands it has risen by 80%.

According to vets the most common breed of dog in the UK that is inclined to be aggressive is the German Shepherd. This is followed by the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, Rottweilers and Jack Russells.

According to US data, Pit Bulls are the most likely dog to bite humans, however these are banned in the UK under the Dangerous Dogs Act so very few exist. The second most aggressive dog that is likely to attack a human is the Rottweiler, a common breed in the UK that is not mentioned on the Dangerous Dogs Act.

It's not only attacks on humans that are on the increase. One in three (34%) vets have reported an increase in the number of pet owners coming to their practice in the past three years as a result of their dog or other pet being attacked by a dog. Vets tend to an animal injured by a dog three times a month on average. According to the LV= research 33% of current dog owners said their pet had been attacked by another dog.

Practically all vets (96%) interviewed by LV= said they have been asked for advice on training dogs, showing that the vast majority of pet owners take their responsibilities seriously. 63% of vets said the number of owners seeking advice in the past three years had increased. Vets clearly take their advisory role seriously with more than half (56%) saying they have told an owner they need to muzzle their dog and a similar number (54%) have advised that a dog should be put to sleep because of its behavioural issues.

Emma Holyer, Spokesperson for LV= General Insurance, said: "If you are thinking about getting a dog you should do your research to ensure you get the right breed for you and your lifestyle. You should research issues like the amount of walking the breed requires, if the property you live in is suitable, if you have a garden or other pets, plus if you have children, whether the breed is suitable for a family environment."

The report has also highlighted pet owners' concerns about other owners with dangerous dogs. One in four pet owners admits to changing their dog's walking pattern to avoid someone with an aggressive dog and 23% said they worry about their own dog because other dogs in the area are not properly controlled.

It's not just pet owners who have noticed the changes. The report also found that, amongst the general population, 13% of Brits said there had been an increase in the number of ‘aggressive looking' dogs in their area and one in 10 (10%) admitted that some of the animals they see make them feel vulnerable.

The problem is particularly rife in London with a quarter of people (23%) reporting an increase in aggressive dogs in their area and 40% saying that some pet owners in their area don't take adequate responsibility for their animals.

Emma Holyer, Spokesperson for LV= General Insurance, said: "The fact that so many people are reporting an increase in aggressive dogs is worrying for responsible dog owners. This research shows that it's more important than ever to ensure you have pet insurance, so that if one of these dogs attacks your pet, you can ensure your animal has the very best treatment and you are not left with expensive vet bills. Furthermore if you wanted to go so far as to sue the owner of the aggressive dog LV= has a legal helpline staffed by experts that can advise on how you would go about this."
inkliveeva
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-08-2009, 09:53 AM
The thing is too, if my wee Toro was out in the streets running round lost, we've all seen dogs looking frantic because they don't know where they are...she would probably suffer the same treatment that the 2 dogs in the programme did because of her breed, they didn't have a clue, non mentioned the dogs were fearful, nervous, showing normal behaviour in a provoked situation which the police instigated...
How did you all think that Mallinois looked in the back of the police van ? scared nervous, frightened, she certainly didn't look at all at ease, wonder how she'd be treated out in the streets showing that behaviour ?
Page 2 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »