Female 

01-03-2011, 01:08 PM
How is Zena today H?
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2011, 01:22 PM
Originally Posted by madmare View Post
I've had a couple of dogs that got worse on chicken. I would pop her on tinned chappie as its good for tummies and easier to digest than kibble.
Oh what a brilliant idea there Bev, why didn't I think of good old Chappie!!! I'll go and get some now, thanks for that, coz the vet mentioned the Hill's I/D which I know she hates and won't go near it and Ireally do want to get her off this chicken now.

Originally Posted by girliebiker View Post
Hope the beautiful Zena is soon back to normal.
They do like to worry us dont they!!

hugs from me and mine
xx
Thanks girlie, and it's still ongoing

So now I'm worried coz she HASN'T pooped since the last lot of yellow mustard we got at 6 pm last night Admitted, she must have been all pooped out, BUT, she had 4 small feeds from 10 am yesterday morning and now 2 today plus her pills, so what's going on now then??!! Is this normal then after diarrhea I wonder?

She's still happy and healthy, hungry and drinking so I'm not unduly worried, and if I ring that vet they're gonna think I'm a right worrier aren't they I might have to later though knowing me lol! Thanks for asking, but that's the latest today! Oh for a nice, firm poo.... maybe tonight then!!!
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2011, 01:32 PM
Do you boil her drinking water when she's"loose"I know that dogs can & do drink from anything, but it may or may not help & it definitely will not harm her.

I also give "slippery elm"

Holistic advice

* L-Glutamine - L-Glutamine is an amino acid which serves as a source of fuel for cells lining the intestinal tract. It is often recommended for pets with diarrhea and chronic inflammatory bowel disorders.
* Slippery Elm - An herb that contains mucilage which provides soothing protection for the mucus membranes of the gastrointestinal tract. Slippery elm neutralizes stomach acids and soothes inflammation.
* Saccharomyces boulardi - a beneficial yeast that is classified as a probiotic. In numerous clinical studies, this probiotic was found to significantly reduce the symptoms and frequency of diarrhea related to colitis, inflammatory bowel disease and irritable bowel syndrome as well as antiobiotic-associated diarrhea.
* N-acetyl-glucosamine - Helps heal the inflamed bowel lining by supporting glycoprotein synthesis. N-Acetyl Glucosamine supports the integrity of the mucosal lining and has been used to treat IBD, ulcerative colitis and Crohn's Disease. N-Acetyl glucosamine is derived from the outer shells of shellfish. Pets (and people) with shellfish allergies are allergic to the meat of shellfish, not the shell and so N-Acetyl Glucosamine does not usually cause an allergic reaction.
* Lactobacillus sporogenes - A probiotic that has been shown to help treat diarhea caused by bacterial overgrowth.
* DGL (deglycyrrhizinated licorice) - supports the healing process in the intestinal lining by increasing blood flow and reducing muscle spasms.
* Digestive Enzymes - Enzymes are often lacking in commercial pet foods yet they are essential for proper digestion and absorption of nutrients. They also have anti-inflammatory properties.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2011, 01:46 PM
Thanks Dyane, I've printed that lot off!!! Definitely be trying some of those remedies in the future. She doesn't normally suffer with this type of problem, hence my worry.

Talking of water, I'm just wondering, because this giardia can be found in stale water, I'm wondering if leaving my bucket of water out in the garden for a couple of days, without filling it with fresh, I wonder if something "nasty" may have got in there and caused this? It's probably all my fault
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2011, 01:52 PM
In additon to what has been posted, add bananas, this is a useful prebiotic which has a synergistic effect with probiotics.

Giardia can be found in lots of places.......
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2011, 04:42 PM
Thanks for that Smokeybear, coz she likes bananas and I denied her a piece of mine last night She can have half all to herself tonight then!

Still nothing...
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2011, 07:25 PM
Don't you dare say that it is probably your fault, you bad old fossil

If any of us look hard enough we can blame ourselves for absolutely everything that befalls our animals, but really it is rarely the case.

Anyway, has the nice normal firm poop made it's entrance (or rather exit) yet?
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2011, 07:28 PM
Well, I rang the vet around 4pm today and the receptionist said she would get back to me at the end of surgery which would be 6.30, or maybe a bit later she said I wasn't to sorry if it was later......... nuffink!!!!

Nothing from the vet, and nothing from Zena Oh woe is me At least she's had another dose of pills without knowing it and she's full of beans with that squeaky ball, so hopefully, before I go to bed (pleeeeeeeeease!!! )
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2011, 07:29 PM
Sorry to see gorgeous Zena has had the terrible squirts - and I know from past experience quite how explosive GSD's do these

Poor girlie - hope her tum feels better soon. Totally agree about Chappie, it's fab stuff for dicky tummies. Perhaps she hasn't done a motion yet because she is firming up and feeling less loose? Hope so.

Gentle squishy hugs to one of my faves xx
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2011, 07:31 PM
thanks AM

Looking back, I remember she had the exact same thing after her spey when she'd been in the vets for a check up, 4 am the next morning, we had yellow projectile diarrhea and vomiting It wasn't giardia then, it must have been something she picked up, so hopefully, it's the same again this time and she'll do me my usual 4 normal poo's in the morning instead of yellow pancakes!
Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »