Our sister sites
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2012, 08:40 AM

Breed choice. Why and why not?

Following on from the thread "What will your next breed be" - see here

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...0_477827_n.jpg

For those who are changing breeds what are your reasons?
Maybe you just fancy a change?
You need a different breed for a specific purpose - ie to work or show?
Or is it down to the fact that your current breed doesn't tick all your boxes?

For those sticking to the same breed - what are your reasons?
Like what you know?
No other breed can match up?

etc etc.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2012, 08:44 AM
I have always had and will always have GSDs. The "type" I have chosen over the years may have been different ie first rescue, then longcoat obedience type, then longcoat WGSL type and now dark sable standard coat WL type, but the breed still suits me and my lifestyle perfectly.

Now I have found the WL type, they tick all the boxes I want in a dog and can see me sticking with them until I am no longer able to have dogs.

There are loads of other breeds I like and admire, but none more so than the GSD.

I have a BC and have had BCs in the past, but, even though they do suit my lifestyle, they just don't "do it" for me like the GSD, so I won't have any more BCs myself. Although hubby of course will always have them, so I can always dabble with his if I have the inclination
Insomnia
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2012, 08:45 AM
Sticking to same breed because:

*They suit my lifestyle
*I love their personalities and temperament
*Lower exercise/mental stimulation needs than some breeds
*Low shedding for husband's allergies
*Lots in need of homes so plenty of choice
*Low feeding cost compared to similar breeds of their size
*I just love them! They're beautiful and sensitive and oh so affectionate
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2012, 08:53 AM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
For those who are changing breeds what are your reasons?
Maybe you just fancy a change?
You need a different breed for a specific purpose - ie to work or show?
Or is it down to the fact that your current breed doesn't tick all your boxes?

For those sticking to the same breed - what are your reasons?
Like what you know?
No other breed can match up?

etc etc.

I am changing breed because a) I like the type of Malinois I am going to get b) I do not want another GSD directly after my current one in order to avoid "second dog" syndrome.

There are a few breeds that I would like to own but there only so many years left.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2012, 09:00 AM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
I am changing breed because a) I like the type of Malinois I am going to get b) I do not want another GSD directly after my current one in order to avoid "second dog" syndrome.

There are a few breeds that I would like to own but there only so many years left.
Do you mean that you may end up comparing the second to the first, and he may not match up?
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2012, 09:11 AM
I love border collies work ethic and temperament, and the fact that they are generally a good choice for my hobby(agility) hence why I will stay with them.

I also love the loyalty and devotion GSDs give, hence why I will stick with them too, though my next will be male to stop any comparisons with my current.

Both breeds fit in with my lifestyle too.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2012, 09:19 AM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
Do you mean that you may end up comparing the second to the first, and he may not match up?
Yes I made that mistake with my Weimy, I should have had A N Other breed between the one I lost unexpectedly at 4 and her (and in fact was offered pick of litter of A N Other breed).

I have never felt about her the way I feel I should, even though she is so accomplished and practically faultless.
Wyrd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2012, 09:53 AM
For now I will be sticking with Dalmatians
I like their funny ways, their expressive eyes, their floating trots and even though they can be challenging they do suit my lifestyle perfectly.

I looked at lots of breeds but non really 'do it' for me, and I must like the breed as I still went back to them after the woman on the discover dogs Dalmatian stand was a bit rude and dismissive after I told her my dog had a patch.

I do like the Large Munsterlander, and they sound practically perfect and love the look of them, but I don't know if I could go back to all that hair. The Dals shed a lot but mud just seems to fall off them, so they are pretty much always clean (which is a big bonus when you frequently trample around in mud up to your knees)
celli
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-06-2012, 10:01 AM
My first dog was a GSD, I'd never have another as he was such an exceptional dog I can't imagine ever getting another like him, and I'd just end up being disappointed.

Currently have an SBT and this is the breed I have most experience with, I'll always have one but next one will be a rescue. I think the affection you get from them can't be matched.

I am planning on a HWHV next, for me they seem ideal, friendly to all, smart, affectionate, healthy, love the look of them and a great option for agility. I also fancy trying field trials or similar, possibly even proper gundog training.
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2012, 10:03 AM
We tend to take turns in chosing the next breed, my husband chose Mollie (retrieverxcollie) and I chose Duncan (yorkshire terrorist) his turn next and he wants another chihuahua we had a long coat (Rosie) a few years ago.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »