Our sister sites
Our sister sites
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2011, 07:40 PM
Originally Posted by Reisu View Post
Blimey.. They must keep you on your toes
hee!hee! collies are known for thier ''switched on times'' I love the way they are so....come on dummy get it together
Originally Posted by Luthien View Post
Mine are certainly not stupid when it comes to food! They both know the names for meals (breakfast, dinner,tea etc.), and also specific foods, like sausages, scratchings, chicken. Simon also looks excited if we mention foods like sprouts, which he has never had, but seems to realise it is edible. it makes discussing what we are going to have for dinner interesting!

They also know to the minute when it is 5.30 (tea time), and OH says Jake will go and sit by the door exactly 5 minutes before I get home.
Saying about names, when I walk Reah being as she is slow we get left behind so I always say ''quick Dads coming'' and she speeds up then I have to get Pat to make a big fuss, but saying ''theres Dad''
Originally Posted by Stormpants View Post
Awww, what lovely stories.

Animals definitely aren't dumb and have a lot more intelligence than people give them credit for.

We have two pet rats, as well as Storm and every evening they come out for a couple of hours to free range and Storm has to go into the kitchen and lay on his bed while they are out. One of our rats is called Autumn and whenever we say "Autumn's coming out!", Storm will get up immediately and go straight to his bed without us even having to ask him. Also, we have a silly voice for Autumn and if we speak this voice in front of Storm (when he is in with us), he will usually associate it with the rats coming out, and again, go straight to his bed.....Love him!!
awww bless him, what a lovely boy xxxx
Originally Posted by k9paw View Post
On the contrary, they are far from it (as we all know ) n bet they have a real good chuckle listening to such misinformed opinions x
I bet they do
Originally Posted by Kerryowner View Post
I know how clever Collies are (have friends with them) and I was expecting you to say your dog goes to the kettle and makes you a drink in the Corrie break!! Seriously though they do sound bright dogs.

Parker surprised me the other night. I had a risotto and couldn't eat it all so I had left some on my plate. When I looked down Parker had put his empty Kong toy next to my tray! He's never done this before, I think he was saying he wanted some so I went to the kitchen and put some in his and some in Cherry's Kong (we don't usually have leftovers).

I have to say I do think Parker is a bit dumb normally, we think of him as "nice but dim" but obviously not where food is concerned!
Know you see Parker is intelligent, he knows those leftovers need a place....the place being the kongs I love to see how they work these things out Pat does shout to Bruce.......''put the kettle on son'' wish he could
Originally Posted by Lou View Post
Bless 'em

Diesel knows when it's 6pm too If he wants to go out inbetween his walks, he'll get my slippers And he also knows when someone's coming to my door before they even step foot down the path If me or hubby goes out seperately he won't settle while we're out...He lies on the landing, or half way down the stairs watching out the window

He also gets me his tinned food out the cupboard

They really are sooooo clever
How clever he is....Reah walks around with her dish in her mouth after meal times and shows us it....think she feels it needs filling again
Originally Posted by Hali View Post
yep that sounds like ours. Routine is definitely something that collies pick up on really quickly. I guess Mojo is an honorary collie
Mojo thinks she is a very small BC....that travels at speed by holding onto Tess's tail when Tess takes off, Mojo is practically flying
Originally Posted by lore View Post
My Grandads Cockers used to sit on the chair which looked out their living room window at 1pm on the dot every day. That was when both my uncles would be home for lunch

Not daft in the least.
My Gran had a working BC, and when my Dad and Uncle were working the fields, Gyp would be with them as soon as mid-day came he would lie down....that was when Dad and Uncle Mark had lunch.....Dad used to make us all laugh by saying...''Down tools time then Gyp''
Originally Posted by Anne-Marie View Post
We have central heating but knock it off at night when we go to bed as it's too warm with it on and neither me or Sid can sleep otherwise.

Every morning after letting the dogs out, Lola finishes her tiddles first and hurtles in like a bat-of-of-hell, pelts to the electric fire and literally starts shivvering and shaking like it's Siberia (she even does this when it's too warm to put on like in Summer!!) . If I press the switch & it doesn't come on - she then 'points' (stands and stares, sometimes paws) the plug socket as if to say "come on plug it in dummy"!!

Not only does this impress me that she understands why the fire isn't working when the switch is pressed but that she could win an Oscar with the performance of her showing how cold she is so she needs the fire on!!
Awwww what a babe....she could be a Oscar winner, she sounds a real character
lore
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2011, 08:04 PM
Originally Posted by Anne-Marie View Post
We have central heating but knock it off at night when we go to bed as it's too warm with it on and neither me or Sid can sleep otherwise.

Every morning after letting the dogs out, Lola finishes her tiddles first and hurtles in like a bat-of-of-hell, pelts to the electric fire and literally starts shivvering and shaking like it's Siberia (she even does this when it's too warm to put on like in Summer!!) . If I press the switch & it doesn't come on - she then 'points' (stands and stares, sometimes paws) the plug socket as if to say "come on plug it in dummy"!!

Not only does this impress me that she understands why the fire isn't working when the switch is pressed but that she could win an Oscar with the performance of her showing how cold she is so she needs the fire on!!
Oooh that sounds really familiar...I have one of them. Dougal loves our fire and if it's cold will also run in and sit as close as physically possible and GLARE if you don't turn it on.

Although now we've shifted the living room his bed is next to the heater so he's getting on better with it
mcv
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-03-2011, 08:10 PM
Many many years ago, my gran used to tell me of a dog they aquired when my dad was in his late teens ( he is 70 odd now) the dog wandered the streets and latched onto my dad one day and became their family pet.
My gran swore the dog (to start) didnt understand a word any one said to him she assumed it was a welsh speaking dog. It very quickly settled in, and learnt a new language.
Every day at 4.30 the dog would go mad at the door she couldnt keep him in, the dog would go to the end of the road and sit at the bus stop and wait for my dad to arrive on the 4.45 bus home from the pit ( coal mines)
Apparently one day the dog followed him to the bus stop in the morning and tried to get on the bus with my dad, so my dad told him to go home but he wouldnt, so he was told to sit, much to my dads dismay the dog was still sat there when he returned many hours later... my gran told him that no one could budge patch from that spot.
My dad had a motor bike, and patch knew when he was going to go out on it, he would go and sit on the bike waiting.. thats how my dad won my mum over, he used to take patch on the motor bike to the shop where my mum worked. ( not very far)
No body in our family has ever doubted how inteligent dogs are. Toby is another fine example of how inteligent they are
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2011, 08:42 PM
Originally Posted by lore View Post
Oooh that sounds really familiar...I have one of them. Dougal loves our fire and if it's cold will also run in and sit as close as physically possible and GLARE if you don't turn it on.

Although now we've shifted the living room his bed is next to the heater so he's getting on better with it
ours have a oil heater in the kitchen, when the nights are really cold, they/or one of them pulls their bed across the kitchen floor....when I get up in the morning their bed is next to it
Originally Posted by mcv View Post
Many many years ago, my gran used to tell me of a dog they aquired when my dad was in his late teens ( he is 70 odd now) the dog wandered the streets and latched onto my dad one day and became their family pet.
My gran swore the dog (to start) didnt understand a word any one said to him she assumed it was a welsh speaking dog. It very quickly settled in, and learnt a new language.
Every day at 4.30 the dog would go mad at the door she couldnt keep him in, the dog would go to the end of the road and sit at the bus stop and wait for my dad to arrive on the 4.45 bus home from the pit ( coal mines)
Apparently one day the dog followed him to the bus stop in the morning and tried to get on the bus with my dad, so my dad told him to go home but he wouldnt, so he was told to sit, much to my dads dismay the dog was still sat there when he returned many hours later... my gran told him that no one could budge patch from that spot.
My dad had a motor bike, and patch knew when he was going to go out on it, he would go and sit on the bike waiting.. thats how my dad won my mum over, he used to take patch on the motor bike to the shop where my mum worked. ( not very far)
No body in our family has ever doubted how inteligent dogs are. Toby is another fine example of how inteligent they are
See this is what I love about dogs.......they really do have a sense of loyality and intelligence thanks for that story it was lovely
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2