Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2011, 12:34 AM

And they say animals are dumb

Ever talked to these people that say...awww animals are dumb....or they are just an animal, well dogs certainly are not.
It crossed my mind tonight just how much they do know/get to know.
For instance just a few things I can list...

When we 1st got Mojo, as she was having 4 meals aday I felt sorry for the others and gave them each half a biscuit from the biscuit barrel.....now everytime Mojo is fed....4 others wait patiently by the side where we keep the biscuits.
When Im ready for bed I say..OK bedtime...all 5 run to the backdoor, have wee, three settle on thier bed in the kitchen...2 make straight upstairs...Mojo and Reah.
Reah never lies down at night till I lay her blanket at the side of the bed once lay down she keeps staring at me till I cover her over and give her a pillow....then her head goes straight down she's snoring in 2 mins flat
Skye greets Patrick every night at the door if he doesn't speak to her 1st she runs in the kitchen and turns her back on him
Bruce got so used to me making a drink in the intervals of Corrie.....that now when the program is half way through he runs into the kitchen and sits by the side looking at the kettle but he never does it at the start or the finish of the program
Every night at 6.30 all dogs leave the living room and wait by the food cupboard....I dish out for the cats 1st, shout ''cats'' and all dogs move for the cats to pass
I dish out thiers...shout ''Mo and Skye'' as they are first and before I even finished Tess Bruce and Reah move to one side, Reah then up's and moves to the right side, Tess and Bruce up and move to the left side of the kitchen...although they could be programmed on that one but they are all in thier place before I down dishes
9pm I give them a last walk, no matter what I am doing or watching on TV they are up and ready dead on the dot waiting at the door....always wondered how they tell the time
Each one knows thier own leads thats something they never get wrong when asked ''where your lead''
And they know way before Pat has even got near the drive that he coming home, always standing by the door (he must be way down the road) whimpering and tails wagging
Reisu
Almost a Veteran
Female 

12-03-2011, 08:57 AM
Blimey.. They must keep you on your toes
Luthien
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-03-2011, 09:17 AM
Mine are certainly not stupid when it comes to food! They both know the names for meals (breakfast, dinner,tea etc.), and also specific foods, like sausages, scratchings, chicken. Simon also looks excited if we mention foods like sprouts, which he has never had, but seems to realise it is edible. it makes discussing what we are going to have for dinner interesting!

They also know to the minute when it is 5.30 (tea time), and OH says Jake will go and sit by the door exactly 5 minutes before I get home.
Stormpants
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-03-2011, 10:12 AM
Awww, what lovely stories.

Animals definitely aren't dumb and have a lot more intelligence than people give them credit for.

We have two pet rats, as well as Storm and every evening they come out for a couple of hours to free range and Storm has to go into the kitchen and lay on his bed while they are out. One of our rats is called Autumn and whenever we say "Autumn's coming out!", Storm will get up immediately and go straight to his bed without us even having to ask him. Also, we have a silly voice for Autumn and if we speak this voice in front of Storm (when he is in with us), he will usually associate it with the rats coming out, and again, go straight to his bed.....Love him!!
k9paw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2011, 01:24 PM
On the contrary, they are far from it (as we all know ) n bet they have a real good chuckle listening to such misinformed opinions x
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2011, 01:35 PM
I know how clever Collies are (have friends with them) and I was expecting you to say your dog goes to the kettle and makes you a drink in the Corrie break!! Seriously though they do sound bright dogs.

Parker surprised me the other night. I had a risotto and couldn't eat it all so I had left some on my plate. When I looked down Parker had put his empty Kong toy next to my tray! He's never done this before, I think he was saying he wanted some so I went to the kitchen and put some in his and some in Cherry's Kong (we don't usually have leftovers).

I have to say I do think Parker is a bit dumb normally, we think of him as "nice but dim" but obviously not where food is concerned!
Lou
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2011, 03:56 PM
Bless 'em

Diesel knows when it's 6pm too If he wants to go out inbetween his walks, he'll get my slippers And he also knows when someone's coming to my door before they even step foot down the path If me or hubby goes out seperately he won't settle while we're out...He lies on the landing, or half way down the stairs watching out the window

He also gets me his tinned food out the cupboard

They really are sooooo clever
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2011, 05:44 PM
yep that sounds like ours. Routine is definitely something that collies pick up on really quickly. I guess Mojo is an honorary collie
lore
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2011, 05:49 PM
My Grandads Cockers used to sit on the chair which looked out their living room window at 1pm on the dot every day. That was when both my uncles would be home for lunch

Not daft in the least.
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2011, 06:06 PM
We have central heating but knock it off at night when we go to bed as it's too warm with it on and neither me or Sid can sleep otherwise.

Every morning after letting the dogs out, Lola finishes her tiddles first and hurtles in like a bat-of-of-hell, pelts to the electric fire and literally starts shivvering and shaking like it's Siberia (she even does this when it's too warm to put on like in Summer!!) . If I press the switch & it doesn't come on - she then 'points' (stands and stares, sometimes paws) the plug socket as if to say "come on plug it in dummy"!!

Not only does this impress me that she understands why the fire isn't working when the switch is pressed but that she could win an Oscar with the performance of her showing how cold she is so she needs the fire on!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >