Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
MissE
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-12-2009, 12:46 PM

Sometimes I despair..

In my road we have a gorgeous ebt.. the nicest, friendliest one I've ever met.
Sadly when he needs to go outside, his owners open the door and let him go. Their garden is open to the road , so the boy goes on a wander.
When he was a young pup he'd only come as far as my house, to see Missy. We could carry him back
Now he's grown we couldn't lift him, and it took months to persuade them to get him a collar. At no point have they listened to pleas to stand outside with him and pop him on a lead.
Now the lad is walking further afield and has gone three quarters of the way down the road. At the end of our cul de sac is a country road - so cars and lorries use it at a high speed.

I am so worried for him. I fear one day he be splatted.
Tried telling his owners yet again as I took him back, they just say he won't go that far.
They can't ask the landlord to put a gate across the garden, because their terms say they shouldn't be having a pet .

Sometimes I despair of people.. and I feel desperately for the danger I can see for the dog
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

17-12-2009, 12:57 PM
Its horrible too see other people being neglectful of their pets.

Sounds like you have done everything possible Pat to try to make his life a longer one. Doesn't sound like they are taking much notice.
MissE
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-12-2009, 04:59 PM
They're not Lynn.. nothing I say or any neighbour says seems to get through...
I really don't know what else to do
*SJ*
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-12-2009, 05:05 PM
Can you not ring the dog warden and get him to go round for a 'friendly chat'.

Failing that ring the Police next time and tell them you're worried the dog is about to cause a road traffic accident, should hopefully have the desired effect when they speak to them.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-12-2009, 05:10 PM
the next time you take him back I would tell them a little white lie, just say he was nearly hit by a car, the car had to skid to a halt, the owners of the car may or may not turn up at there door to complaine? it may just be the shock they need.
sometimes little white lies are ok??
MissE
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-12-2009, 05:13 PM
I'm loathe to involve the police or dog warden, in case they do a bit of digging and the couple have to move as they've broken the terms of their lease by having him there.

I might well try the white lie, though, Shona. Thanks *hugs*
*SJ*
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-12-2009, 05:51 PM
Originally Posted by MissE View Post
I'm loathe to involve the police or dog warden, in case they do a bit of digging and the couple have to move as they've broken the terms of their lease by having him there.

I might well try the white lie, though, Shona. Thanks *hugs*
In that case I think sadly it's only a matter of time before they're found out. Not exactly a stable enviroment to bring a dog into, I'm not really suprised they're the sort of people that let him wander TBH.
I don't think the dog warden would worry about the terms of a lease anyway and I think it's still a better option than the poor dog really being involved in an accident.
Lou
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-12-2009, 05:53 PM
Poor dog Sounds like you've done all you can now, Shona's idea seems a good one. Lets hope they listen x
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-12-2009, 05:58 PM
I would either do as Shona suggested, or in all honesty if he is wandering I would get him in the car and take him to the kennels -( obviously keeping a, eye to ensure he isnt PTS if unclaimed) but I think they obviously need a kick up the proverbial to realise they just cant let him out himself, why cant they take him out on a lead for a pee??

As harsh as it sounds perhaps they might realise that, if he is "lost" when he doesnt come back it will scare them into making sure they keep him safe in future.

It angers me actually as its irresponsible for the road users as much as anything else - I know how horrified and traumatised I would be if I knocked over a dog - its just really really selfish on their parts and if thats the case they shouldnt be allowed to have a dog.
liverbird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-12-2009, 07:16 PM
it doesnt sound to me that they are that bothered about keeping him safe makes me wonder if he was lost would they go claim him back
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >