View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-05-2007, 12:08 AM
God I know what you mean, some people are just plain idiotic!

Take my walk this afternoon. Coming back from a nice walk I spot someone with what I think was a Staffy cross (more something else than Staffy though I think?). At first it looked like the dog was offlead, so I left Isla off (Pickles can just be left off lead cos he's deaf, blind and just a tad stupid! ). But then I noticed the dog was on an extending lead, so I called Isla to me and put her on lead. As I walked past this person and their dog, Isla was straining on the lead, frustrated at not being able to say hello. No barking, no noise whatsoever, just straining on the lead and this bloke shot me the most evil look ever!!!!!

So as I walked away I said to Isla, in the most babyish voice possible "You can't play with that doggie, no you can't, his Daddy's miserable, yes he IS!" :smt043
God I love doing that! You can get your point across without actually having a confrontation!
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-05-2007, 01:55 AM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd View Post
God I know what you mean, some people are just plain idiotic!

Take my walk this afternoon. Coming back from a nice walk I spot someone with what I think was a Staffy cross (more something else than Staffy though I think?). At first it looked like the dog was offlead, so I left Isla off (Pickles can just be left off lead cos he's deaf, blind and just a tad stupid! ). But then I noticed the dog was on an extending lead, so I called Isla to me and put her on lead. As I walked past this person and their dog, Isla was straining on the lead, frustrated at not being able to say hello. No barking, no noise whatsoever, just straining on the lead and this bloke shot me the most evil look ever!!!!!

So as I walked away I said to Isla, in the most babyish voice possible "You can't play with that doggie, no you can't, his Daddy's miserable, yes he IS!" :smt043
God I love doing that! You can get your point across without actually having a confrontation!
love it must try that the next time someone gives it, "those things are ment to be muzzled in public its the law " where is it the law on mars?
CockerMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-05-2007, 06:12 AM
unfortunatley it seems to be a trend we all have to deal with "stupid owners". I wonder if they take their kids to play school and tell them "NOT" to play with the other kids? it amazes me on a daily basis how many people won't let their dogs mix. i understand if there's a real problem but most of these dogs are afraid because the owners have made them this way.
Maddie's well bahaved & uncontrol, let her run and play. it's up to the silly people to walk away if they don't want their little angels to play with the other dogs.
duboing
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-05-2007, 01:43 PM
Big hugs Random! Bongo would just love to play with Maddy, if only you lived near here! In fact, I reckon we could get together a pretty substantial pro-Maddy gang here on Dogsey!!!
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

25-05-2007, 02:30 PM
Maddy is just fine its everybody else that has the problem,Ollie would have great fun playing with her the barking is their way of talking Ollie plays with a Westie she usually spots him first and hops up and down in the long grass barking to him I am here I am here.Its hard but try to ignore them,I feel sorry for their poor dogs.
elmac13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-05-2007, 02:44 PM
it usually turns out it's the owner who is scared of other dogs not the dog itself. Dogs usually just get on with it don't they without much harm done. Aye it's a sair fecht for a half loaf. (Ian will know what I mean!)
Colin
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

25-05-2007, 03:09 PM
I know only to well what you mean. I get it all the time from people who don’t know my 3 Dobes.

When I take them anywhere new I’m sure people automatically come to the conclusion that I have got three killers on the loose, which couldn’t be further from the truth.

I’ll tell you something else that really gets up other people noses, and that is when I shout out “Ruby, Onyx, Max here” and they come back and sit in front of me while the other dog owner are running around the park or field trying to catch there dogs.

Just remember you should never feel guilty about other people ignorance. It is for them to gain knowledge.
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-05-2007, 03:25 PM
I used to get it all the time Kel, especially with Storm and Luca. If one was playing with another dog, the other used to bark because she was being left out of the game

I've had my dogs called all sorts. I just used to shake my head at thier ignorance, and carry on with our walk. I've seen a field cleared when there was 9 GSDs playing, barking and growling at one another (in a playful way)

Bring her here Kel, my Luca will run her legs down to stumps
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-06-2007, 09:27 PM
I just wanted to thank everyone who has posted here, I really really appreciate it and I just wished we all lived closer, Maddy would do well having a day out with your lot I know that for sure.

I just wanted to add that I really had my spirits lifted yesterday. I met a lovely man who must have been in his late 40's, and he had with him a little black mongrel and a HWV. I automatically put the dogs onlead, he had his onlead and I didn't know him so it was just the normal thing to do, but he saw me shouting them back and shouted 'it's ok leave them off'.

I put Maddy on anyway knowing what she is like, and he came over to us and we had a proper chat for about 10 or 15 minutes about our dogs, I told him about Maddy and he was telling me about his Vizsla who he works. He was 11 months old and an absolutely gorgeous dog.

It turned out he was visiting family near where I live and he lives about an hour from here, but he brought his dogs with him and obviously they needed a walk, so there he was! I doubt we'll see him again but it absolutely made my day that someone 'understood' for once.

On a seperate note, just yesterday the wee timid dog who is 'not allowed' to associate with Maddy was crossing us on the field with her owner, I put Maddy onlead as per usual, and she called her dog back, but she was too busy playing with Charlie and another dog we walk with (who Maddy gets on great with). Her owner saw I had Maddy onlead and carried on walking, and as soon as she was about 50ft away from her dog, the dog ran up to Maddy who had her back turned to her and sniffed her up the bum! Maddy didn't even flinch and just carried on walking. Not so timid after all it seems when her owner isn't 'babying' over her. I think that just proves my point 100%, but I wouldn't want to say 'I told you so'. Said owner is still totally oblivious to her dogs 'encounter' with Maddy.

In the same walk we met a gorgeous red and white staffie bitch, Millie. Maddy didn't even bark at her and I was more pleased than ever before as it was a staffie that attacked her way back in the first place and she's always seen them and breeds of a similar size and build as the biggest threat, so that was a big deal for her.

A very good day. I'm really pleased!

Thanx again everyone I really don't know what i'd do without you all. I need more reppies to give out!
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-06-2007, 10:52 PM
result well done, the more things like this happen the better things will get, your confidence will grow and it will rub off on her, mabey confidence is the wrong word, but you know what I mean, if she behaves well you relax more she relaxes more and it gets out of the nasty circle and into a good one,,,,,,so pleased for you both hope it continues,,,,,shona x
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >