Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

28-05-2013, 12:21 PM

Was she good or was she good?

I had a sudden and unexpected mad desire to go downtown to the old covered shuk, and not wanting to leave Pereg or for her to go to the Pension for a couple of hours, I phoned David, one of my taxi drivers, and off we went!

I took Tontoo, my little foldable scooter which David had not seen before so did not know how to dismantle and - umm, what is the word for putting back together - [but he does now] and off we went and are only recently back from nearly two hours of sheer magic!

David walked Pereg around on her leash while I buzzed around the old covered shuk - meeting up with him at the end of various aisles, and until we met up he walked her around in the crowd-filled, noisiest, full of interesting smells ever, and she was as good as gold.

He said she ignored the crowds, ignored the noise, and when he said "lo Pereg" [no Pereg] she left the interesting smells, and was as good as gold, even though the whole situation was new and strange to her. Apparently some people who knew him asked if Pereg was his, and he said no, she was his sister's dog! Methinks I have a brother now!

It is really impossible to describe the old covered shuk, suffice it to say that it is far from clean [although the individual stalls are, and boy does it pong. And in most of the aisles if you do not speak Russian you get everso nasty words spat at you. I mean all I did at one stall was ask how much a summer tunic was, was told and I said sorry, I will give you x amount, and you really do not want to know her response.

But Pereg, oh my Pereg, oh my beloved Pereg, wandered around the crowded, stinky ancient shuk, and just stayed happily on her leash with David.

Did I get what I wanted? I still have to sort things out but I am extremely satisfied with what I came home with.

And Pereg, bless her, spent nearly two hours being walked by David through a people-full noisy, stinky, not much room to move, ancient shuk - happy and quiet and apart from being a wee bit nosy about the miriads of smells, just enjoyed herself.

Was she good or was she good?
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-05-2013, 12:58 PM

She was excellent
I take it a shuk is kinda like a market?
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-05-2013, 01:01 PM
What a good, good girl Pereg is I bet she really enjoyed it getting to sniff all the strange smells and have a walk around somewhere she hadn't been before (my two love a different walk). How good that she was happy to go with your new 'brother' ....... what a lovely man to wander round with Pereg .... however, who wouldn't want to after how good she's been.

What a lovely outing for you too Malka. You'll have to start learning Russian though before you go back. I am so pleased you've had a great morning.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

28-05-2013, 01:28 PM
Yes, sorry - shuk means market, and the old covered shuk is was, and still has, the spice stalls, the main ones now being modernised and glassed in. But it is old and so many of the stalls are empty and there are few left of the originals. Very crowded and very primitive, but so lovely to be able to go there again.

But there are modern-poultry stalls and fish stalls, a few which have some beef but that is diabolically expensive. There are also fruit and vegetable stalls - but basically it is still a bit of a mess and old and pongy and - well - it is what it is and it had been such a long time since I had been there, and yet there were still some stall holders who remembered me.

And it was Kef. Fun. David was walking around with Pereg, because no way can I leave her at home and still do not want to leave her at the Pension, and I she is far too strong for me to cope with on he was great with him while I was buzzing around on Tontoo searching out where I could get bones and stuff for her. And all sorts of other things, including a couple of kilos of "head meat" but what head? Beef, I reckon. No bones, just meat, some fat, and some hairy skin.

But Pereg, oh my Pereg, who is not used to being out, not used to being in crowds, not used to being in such a place with so many different smells - she did not even look for me when I went one way where David could not.

She is a good girl really.
Lynne
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-05-2013, 01:52 PM
Well done Pereg. She is a good girl. Now you know that your new brother enjoyed walking her as well you'll be able to go again soon. I'm sure it did you the world of good getting out as well.
Meg
Supervisor

28-05-2013, 01:56 PM
...I would say Pereg was very good
It sounds as though she enjoyed her outing
Cath
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-05-2013, 01:58 PM
She did very well, good that you have a new family member too
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

28-05-2013, 01:59 PM
Sounds like you have both had a lovely day and a massive change from routine, it has really taken you out of yourself and Pereg has had many new experiences, so all good.
She is a very very good girlie, and Keshi sends her puppy love.
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-05-2013, 02:13 PM
Wow she was good. Did she sleep well when she got home? The stimulation wears them out doesn't it.

Whenever you describe parts of where you live I want to see pictures! It's sounds so colourful and exotic! What is the Pension?
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-05-2013, 03:16 PM
Pereg was very controlled in among all the crowds and smells. I guess the reason for not leaving her is in case she has an epileptic episode in your absence?

The word, by the way, you were looking for is - reassemble!

There is a famous 'Shuk' in Jerusalem, Machane Yehuda market apparently takes up a whole neighbourhood! Has a website devoted to it and tells you here a bit about them. I haven't been myself but have heard about it from lots of pals and neighbours who've been. Jerusalem is a popular quick break destination from here in Cyprus as it isn't far away.

http://www.machne.co.il/en/

I'd like to see it one day - just as I am determined to get to the Grand Bazaar in Istanbul (last planned trip was cancelled at the last minute when I was taken off with burst appendix).

I will of course be destitute and penniless once I've visited these two places as I have NO control when in markets or bazaars!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >