View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-07-2006, 03:19 PM

European Health Insurance card help please.

My 15 year old son is going to Italy with his school in October and I have to apply for a European Health Insurance card. I have got the form here, but didn't have a black pen so it said I could do it online which I did but then when I filled his details in it wouldn't accept them because he isn't 16 years old On the form that I have got it also says the applicant must be over 16 years old - so I don't understand it because one of the teachers at school said he has to have one of these before he can go on the trip and he won't be 16 till January 2007 - so has anybody any ideas what I can do Can you not have a Europeon Health Insurance card unless you are 16?
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

14-07-2006, 03:58 PM
Don't know unless someone on here knows you may have to contact the School.
When my Sons went abroad with the School they had a collective health card so all the children were on it and it was under the School.Few years ago now though.
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-07-2006, 04:01 PM
Originally Posted by Lynn
Don't know unless someone on here knows you may have to contact the School.
When my Sons went abroad with the School they had a collective health card so all the children were on it and it was under the School.Few years ago now though.

Okay thanks Lynn - I will have to try and phone them on Monday - but the teacher I spoke to who is going on the trip definitely told me to apply for a separate one
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

14-07-2006, 04:02 PM
the rules may of changed now,but if you can't apply till he is 16,what are you meant to do.
Berger
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-07-2006, 04:26 PM
My son went away with his school in April. He was thirteen at the time. I had to apply for a family health insurance card (am I right in thinking this replaces the old E11 form) but I still got individual cards delivered for each of us. Just filled in one family form for all of us.

Hope this helps as I don't know if it is the same in the UK
ceiron
Almost a Veteran
Male 

20-07-2006, 09:22 PM
You can apply for an EHIC for your spouse/partner and any children up to the age of 16 (or 19 if they are in full-time education) at the same time as applying for your own. If you are a foster parent or guardian (including boarding school teaching staff), you can apply on behalf of any children you are looking after. You must be over 16 to apply as a main applicant.
ok from reading it i think you have to apply as the main person and then add your son as an additional he will then be issued his own card.

as its free you might aswell do it for everyoen as it says its valid for 3 - 5 years.

however also upon readin it i assume your granting the school guardianship therefore they should be applying for it for the kids no ?

or dont i understand it.