View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

10-06-2010, 02:31 PM

Some of the visitors to our front garden. Birds.

I can never remember if this is a Chaffinch or a Bullfinch, I do know it is the male though.

Now this one is my favourite and I think this is the greater spotted Woodpecker. We also have the greens near us but they have stayed away from the gardens this year. We are lucky if we catch a glimpse of the spotted ones usually. These started visiting early morning and evening and now they are popping in and out all during the day and they love the suet block. Sometimes we have 2 in at once so must be the male and female.

I feel very privileged. Hope you enjoy.

scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2010, 02:41 PM
Absolutely beautiful Lynn, I love to see the birds but don't know what many of them are.

Since we got rid of the bird table we don't see so many, there was a gorgeous one out there the other day, I would imagine it was a Tit of some sort, almost lime green on its chest, and then speckled elsewhere, it was quite small too.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

10-06-2010, 02:51 PM
I love too see the birds, they make my day.

You need one of the little pocket books then you could identify them thats how I learnt many of them.
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2010, 10:07 PM
Great pictures, I could sit in the garden and watch birds come and go all day! We dont get many as the dogs must scare them. But my grandma gets loads, She always puts food out for them. I find it so relaxing sitting in her gardening listening to them..
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

11-06-2010, 06:29 AM
Originally Posted by DevilDogz View Post
Great pictures, I could sit in the garden and watch birds come and go all day! We dont get many as the dogs must scare them. But my grandma gets loads, She always puts food out for them. I find it so relaxing sitting in her gardening listening to them..
Its lovely isn't it ?

Even when you are having a down day they seem too cheer it up.

How is your gran by the way ?
Penry
Dogsey Senior
Male 

11-06-2010, 06:35 AM
Gorgeous photo's hun, I do love seeing birds in the garden. We used to get a lot of Gold Finches and Green Finches but Sasha has put pay to those days. Nevermind though at least we get to see some Blue Tits and Great Tits that grace a bush in my neighbours garden.

Thanks for sharing those photo's with us.

x x x
CLMG
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-06-2010, 06:45 AM
Fantastic I only gets Sparrows, Collared Doves and Wood Pigeons in my garden

The First one is a Chaffinch and you're right it's a male, the Greater Spotted Woodpecker is a female, the male has a large red mark on the back of it head, neck area

I love going to my mums to see the birds she has in her garden, she has anything from a Nuthatch to a black Pheasant
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

11-06-2010, 06:52 AM
Originally Posted by Penry View Post
Gorgeous photo's hun, I do love seeing birds in the garden. We used to get a lot of Gold Finches and Green Finches but Sasha has put pay to those days. Nevermind though at least we get to see some Blue Tits and Great Tits that grace a bush in my neighbours garden.

Thanks for sharing those photo's with us.

x x x
Thanks Shane Ollie is very good he is happy snuffling the bits up that they drop, so sees' them as a bonus. Not as daft as he makes out sometimes.

Originally Posted by CLMG View Post
Fantastic I only gets Sparrows, Collared Doves and Wood Pigeons in my garden

The First one is a Chaffinch and you're right it's a male, the Greater Spotted Woodpecker is a female, the male has a large red mark on the back of it head, neck area

I love going to my mums to see the birds she has in her garden, she has anything from a Nuthatch to a black Pheasant

Thank you for that information. We have been getting the male woodpecker too then I thought the male had the red on the back of his neck and so he was around the other day occasionally they come together.

We use to get a nuthatch as well but that was a few years ago not seen one in a long while. We get a lot of cheeky sparrows here and we are lucky living very near to the nature reserve, woods and meadows. We also have a lot of native hedging and tree's too. I think that makes a difference.