View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
zoeyvonne
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-04-2013, 10:48 PM
I don't think you understanD the word pigment??? It is simply colour of skin, not a genetic fault, he could have had an allergy to cereal based foods, to be honest I think the reason his nose has a pink tinge where you think it is thinned may be due to you pestering the area putting creams on he may also have allergies to, leave it alone and stop fixating on it, it is fine of hair in that area and a bit pink, so what!!!
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

15-04-2013, 05:53 AM
Originally Posted by katilea View Post
I was following the vets advice. they said he was allergic to first food cos of spots and it was cereal based so switched to wafcol which vet recommended! ..then he got liquid squits they said to go on rice & chicken or fish cos he probably had a bug then go back on wafcol ..I did and diarrhea came back..was told he couldn't stay on it..he was already underweight having only gained half a kilo so changed again.

I consulted with vets every time he had bad reactions i was told it was allergies or giardia..if the vet doesn't know, how am I expected to?..at NO point did the vet ever mention pigmentation issues in the last 6 months! ..neither did my breeder! ..until I sent photo of his nose and was told it was normal...though I'd never seen it on any collie I'd met or seen on TV several people with their pups seem to have it and consider it 'normal' it seems!

Both the breeder and the vet should have knowledge of inherited conditions of a collie and could have said something but didn't!
Were these consultations actual vet visits or just telephone consultations?
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-04-2013, 06:51 AM
I can't believe you are still fretting over this, despite everyones' assurances that your puppy has no issues! Look at your own hair - if you have a parting, do you worry that you are going bald because you can see your scalp? Anywhere that hair goes in different directions will look thinner for precisely that reason - as it does on all dogs' noses.

I expect your puppy has pink splodges on its tummy - are you going to colour those in as well? My photos were of three different dogs ranging in age from 18 months to 9 years and, yes, they all look like your dog. If you keep rubbing different concoctions into your puppy's nose, he will grow up with a problem as the skin is very delicate there.

Please just look into his eyes and not on his nose and just enjoy him!
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

15-04-2013, 07:36 AM
I was following the vets advice. they said he was allergic to first food cos of spots and it was cereal based so switched to wafcol which vet recommended! ..then he got liquid squits they said to go on rice & chicken or fish cos he probably had a bug then go back on wafcol ..I did and diarrhea came back..was told he couldn't stay on it..he was already underweight having only gained half a kilo so changed again.

I consulted with vets every time he had bad reactions i was told it was allergies or giardia..if the vet doesn't know, how am I expected to?..at NO point did the vet ever mention pigmentation issues in the last 6 months! ..neither did my breeder! ..until I sent photo of his nose and was told it was normal...though I'd never seen it on any collie I'd met or seen on TV several people with their pups seem to have it and consider it 'normal' it seems!

Both the breeder and the vet should have knowledge of inherited conditions of a collie and could have said something but didn't!

T hats because the pigment issues are not worth bringing up, and probably never entered the vets head .

Your vet will know that lack of pigment (colour ) is NOT the reason your pup suffers from allergies .

You can do one of two things to be honest, return this reject to its breeder or get over the fact your pup has a bit of hair missing where you think he should have it.
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-04-2013, 12:25 PM
There is nothing wrong with the dogs pigmentation.
White hair on pink skin can sometimes give the impression of thin hair.
The dog is likely teething which sometimes results in a bit of hair thinning.

The hair may thicken up once teething has finnished, if not believe me no remedies other than dye or tattoo will change the skin colour and in my opinion that would be a foolish thing to do for vanity.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-04-2013, 04:00 PM
If you were so fretted about this thinning fur on the nose why on earth didn't YOU ask Vet or Breeder about it?

You seem to think they should have told you - why would they tell you about something that is perfectly normal?

I'm beginning to feel really sorry for your dog with all this stuff you are doing to it and trying on it in an effort to get it to look the way you wanted it to look.

You've now been told so many times that there is nothing wrong but you seem to be persisting in trying to find a 'cure'?
muddymoodymoo
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-04-2013, 04:27 PM
My cross breed has a patch like that on her nose, never thought of questioning it. It's part of her, doesn't present a health problem so why worry. I've never put anything on it either and the weather does not effect it.

Was your dog bought as a show dog?
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-04-2013, 04:52 PM
if by splotches you mean the yellowy bits, that was dermacton cream. I'd used it before when my older dog had to have fur shaved to remove a lump and it helped her hair grow back faster. I thought the hair loss was allergy to his food as it seemed to be getting worse the longer it was taking me to find a food that agreed with him.

He could have been spared so many changes if I'd have known the pink eyes was not allergy (or conjunctivitis he was treated for) and neither was his thinning fur!
I see. So you were trying to treat the missing fur and that's what the yellow stuff was. I was wondering what it was. I thought the third eyelids meant some type of eye problem too, but if the vet said nothing is wrong.. I'd let it go.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-04-2013, 04:58 PM
Originally Posted by muddymoodymoo View Post
My cross breed has a patch like that on her nose, never thought of questioning it. It's part of her, doesn't present a health problem so why worry. I've never put anything on it either and the weather does not effect it.

That's what I was going to ask. If the dog is show quality, then there might be an issue with the breeder as lack of fur there or odd pigmentation might be a show fault.

I'm not sure as I don't show dogs.. but her anger at the breeder is extreme and I don't really see why. If her dog was purchased as show quality dog... there might be grounds to return the dog to the breeder.

Personally, I'd just get over it.. even if it was a show quality dog with faults that I purchased and love my dog and don't buy from that breeder again. It also doesn't seem like she's consulted the breeder with her anger at the quality of her dog... but rather only the vet, which isn't making sense either.
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-04-2013, 05:26 PM
Originally Posted by muddymoodymoo View Post

I think he was bought to train as an assistance dog - which makes it all the more frustrating that the OP is so wound up about his poor little nose!
Closed Thread
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >