Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-04-2013, 05:59 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
MUST be a wind up. Totally UNBELIEVABLE.
My thought was not 'wind up' but that this was VERY SAD.

The OP's words 'spoiling his lovely face'.

There are mothers whose children have REAL facial abnormalities and they love them regardless.

It's very sad indeed that you seem to have gone for a dog based purely on what it looked like or how you thought it would look when it grew up.

You've been told enough times this is not unusual. I'll say it again - it is not unusual.

Even to contemplate paying to have needles jabbed into that adorable dog (tattooing) or putting boot polish on your perfectly healthy dog?

Good grief. Consider this - your dog will love YOU no matter WHAT you look like. If this is really going to spoil your enjoyment of your dog I think you should return him and hope he gets a more serious dog lover.

When I think there are people on here who own or have adopted dogs who have legs missing, are blind, have cancer, diabetes, epilepsy and other big problems or 'deformities'. They'd probably give anything to swap their dog's disability for a slightly thinning patch on the top of his nose.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-04-2013, 06:45 PM
Goodness this is UGLY! The OP is misguided but telling her to give the dog back to the breeder is overkill IMO.

To the OP, please listen to everyone. Dogs change as they grow, your dog is normal... there is nothing wrong with his face! His pigments are making it look as if there is a lot of fur missing.

Please don't tattoo the dogs face or *sigh* put boot polish on his nose... as neither are necessary. I know you love your dog and want him to look great, but don't do anything dramatic.

His issue isn't caused by a health problem, so there is no point in making it a huge deal. He's a great looking dog.. and if you don't ZOOM in on his face (like you did with the camera) then nothing can be seen anyway.

As for the humping, are you going to neuter him? If so, at 6 months.. this is about time to do it. It'll cut down on the humping and you won't have to separate him and the female dog.

On another hand.. the dogs third eyelids can be easily seen in your photos.. so he might need to be seen by a vet anyway. But it has nothing to do with his pigment issues... I also see splotches up and down his forehead.. maybe he's dirty or stained something as well?
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-04-2013, 07:13 PM
Originally Posted by mjfromga View Post
Goodness this is UGLY! The OP is misguided but telling her to give the dog back to the breeder is overkill IMO.

To the OP, please listen to everyone. Dogs change as they grow, your dog is normal... there is nothing wrong with his face! His pigments are making it look as if there is a lot of fur missing.

Please don't tattoo the dogs face or *sigh* put boot polish on his nose... as neither are necessary. I know you love your dog and want him to look great, but don't do anything dramatic.

His issue isn't caused by a health problem, so there is no point in making it a huge deal. He's a great looking dog.. and if you don't ZOOM in on his face (like you did with the camera) then nothing can be seen anyway.

As for the humping, are you going to neuter him? If so, at 6 months.. this is about time to do it. It'll cut down on the humping and you won't have to separate him and the female dog.

On another hand.. the dogs third eyelids can be easily seen in your photos.. so he might need to be seen by a vet anyway. But it has nothing to do with his pigment issues... I also see splotches up and down his forehead.. maybe he's dirty or stained something as well?
If I had bred that dog and read the OP's comments, he would be back in my living room by now!!
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

14-04-2013, 07:35 PM

Actually it's all about the pigment , the reason the dogs third eyelid is seen ( or looks pink) is due to it being unpigmented it does not need treatment from a vet....
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

14-04-2013, 07:36 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
If I had bred that dog and read the OP's comments, he would be back in my living room by now!!
Me too
susannah92
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-04-2013, 09:16 PM
I admit I am no expert but I think your dog looks beautiful Katilea. Please don't put boot polish or black marker on his lovely face, but if you are really worried about this aspect of his appearance please contact your vet and I am sure he will be able to reassure you.
Hope you have many many happy years with your gorgeous boy.
katilea
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-04-2013, 09:40 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Actually it's all about the pigment , the reason the dogs third eyelid is seen ( or looks pink) is due to it being unpigmented it does not need treatment from a vet....
by third eyelid do you mean bottom of his eyes where they look pink?

they have always been like that and his right eye always has lot of sleep..they both used to run alot to be honest but after changed to grain free they haven't been as bad. He's had eye drops too for conjunctivitis...I didn't know it was part of a pigment issue!...I thought it was allergies as he's had problems with food intolerances since I got him and his nose fur was not thinned like it is now.

my comment was not meant as an insult to breeder but again brings me back to if it's obvious to someone who knows what they're talking about.. why wasn't it mentioned that the pup may have this condition? ..it would have saved me going through some many foods thinking he was allergic to them and had conjunctivitis if I'd been told that 'pink eye' was a sign of pigment issues and that he might lose fur off his nose!

He's on his 5th food since I got him thinking all his symptoms were symptoms of allergies to what he was eating!! .I would probably have stuck with food for longer if I'd have been told before now that its not allergies/conjunctivitis but an inherited pigment issue!! .. He's also been treated for giardia a few times by my vet thinking thats what could be causing the 'allergies'.

How many of these treatments and changes of diet were on fact un-necessary and could have been avoided, had I been told when he came to me?

I've noticed recently the pigment on his gums is changing so now its obvious after research, but makes me wonder how bad it's going to get? ..is he going to lose pigment all over his nose or is this little patch as bad as its going to get?
katilea
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-04-2013, 09:46 PM

if by splotches you mean the yellowy bits, that was dermacton cream. I'd used it before when my older dog had to have fur shaved to remove a lump and it helped her hair grow back faster. I thought the hair loss was allergy to his food as it seemed to be getting worse the longer it was taking me to find a food that agreed with him.

He could have been spared so many changes if I'd have known the pink eyes was not allergy (or conjunctivitis he was treated for) and neither was his thinning fur!
Beth17
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-04-2013, 09:58 PM
Katilea he could have been spared all of those food changes had you just listened to people on the other forum and got him properly tested.

I really don't think it's anything to worry about but if you are then please just take him to the vet and get it sorted once and for all.
katilea
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-04-2013, 10:33 PM
Originally Posted by Beth17 View Post
Katilea he could have been spared all of those food changes had you just listened to people on the other forum and got him properly tested.

I really don't think it's anything to worry about but if you are then please just take him to the vet and get it sorted once and for all.
I was following the vets advice. they said he was allergic to first food cos of spots and it was cereal based so switched to wafcol which vet recommended! ..then he got liquid squits they said to go on rice & chicken or fish cos he probably had a bug then go back on wafcol ..I did and diarrhea came back..was told he couldn't stay on it..he was already underweight having only gained half a kilo so changed again.

I consulted with vets every time he had bad reactions i was told it was allergies or giardia..if the vet doesn't know, how am I expected to?..at NO point did the vet ever mention pigmentation issues in the last 6 months! ..neither did my breeder! ..until I sent photo of his nose and was told it was normal...though I'd never seen it on any collie I'd met or seen on TV several people with their pups seem to have it and consider it 'normal' it seems!

Both the breeder and the vet should have knowledge of inherited conditions of a collie and could have said something but didn't!
Closed Thread
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >