Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
inkliveeva
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-11-2010, 05:39 PM

Inka was 4 past in June

I've always walked him coming up to fire works night to ease him into fire works going off ect, and hes never had a problem, but sommits changed this year, he is very timid at night and refuses to go toilet, very nervous out side in the dark, we have had a lovely walk today and hes spent the most of the rest of the day on my knee, looking worried...any one elses dogs change after a time with the fire works ?? xx
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-11-2010, 05:47 PM
Yes, my old Cassie changed at around 4 years old too! Up until that time, I could take her up to the horse's field with gunshots going off all around her and she wouldn't blink an eye, just like she wasn't affected by any fireworks. then something changed, and I really don't know what, and from about 4 yrs old she became petrified of loud bangs and fireworks she was a complete nightmare, it was awful to have to go through it.

I remember being up on our village green one day, and I heard a gunshot, and for the first time in her life, she actually panicked and legged it back to the car parked alongside the green This was totally unheard of before that day. I'm actually wondering whether something might have happened one day, when I was busy "doing" the horse in that field with all those gunshots going off around us, which made her like she was. Maybe something has happened with Inka can you recall?? Is he used to loud gunshots around him when you're out? Maybe they hear that one too many? I really don't know, but it's just something I never expected with a 4 yr old dog who had always been totally oblivious. I hope you're not going to be in the same boat as I was now! Good luck.
inkliveeva
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-11-2010, 06:09 PM
he seems to relate the fire works to dark o' clock thats the only connection I can see, there is fields around us and I have been walking him on a relatively new route near us with sheep n coos ect, with the ocassional shot sound for the crows but he didn't blink at that, he was on lead so I knew what he was doing...hes backing off at the back door afraid to go out, when its dark ?????obviously the fire works go off when its dark I know,I'm scratching my head her trying to think,fire works night I had the telly up full blast, walked them at 3.30, a good 3 miler, so they'd chill but he looked like a rabbit in head lights, staring at the curtains...I'm sorry for what you dog went through but glad its not just a breed thing, I've been trying to figure this out for days, my friends inuit changed when she was pregnant, it was new year she was due in a matter of days and had protected her self well before the birth,even from the very beginning she slowed down as if she knew she had to protect the pups, she gave birth 4 days after being terrified with the fire works and has never got over it...but at least theres a connection there ?????
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-11-2010, 07:13 PM
Awwww It's got to be something that starts this off I'm sure of it, just like that poor inuit when she was pregnant don'tcha think? I can possibly relate mine to the fact that some of those shooters were actually IN the field next to mine, very close, she could see they all had guns, but then she'd never bothered about it before, but maybe, just maybe, a shot might have skimmed past her ear, which of course, then set off her alarm bells, and consequently the episode the day after up on the green, where she heard the shot, then ran off, which as I said, she'd NEVER done before.

When you last let him out in the dark could there have been a very loud bang outside which you didn't know about! Well, I know you would have heard it, but maybe you didn't see his reaction coz you weren't out there with him? It might have been close. It might have actually been a dead rocket landing on him or nearby too?? Poor little mite, staring at the curtains like that..... I honestly don't know what to suggest you do on this one either?
Kalasin
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-11-2010, 10:23 PM
My setter was absolutely fine with fireworks until her old age. She hit 10 and then refused to go out in the garden or for her evening stroll if there were fireworks going off. Not scared to the point where she was hiding in the house or acting odd inside, but definitely did not want to go out.