View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
suecurrie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2011, 07:46 PM
HiHoSilver - I have total and absolute respect for Dog Rescue organisations, particularly the Dogs Trust where all my dogs have come from. The dog I rehomed from an elderly couple (lady had a stroke) were really worried about their dog as it is so nervous of people and to go back to kennels would have destroyed her. I live round the corner and as they knew me and my current dogs it did not seem necessary to advise the rescue organisation, particularly as all my previous dogs had come directly from them. I am able to pop in to the elderly couple on a regular basis for them to have a cuddle of their dog and for them to see how well she is doing which they love. The dog has absolutely thrived while in my care and has put on much needed weight and is a very happy and much more relaxed pooch.
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2011, 08:01 PM
Hi H, Hope that all is ok with you and Scoop ? PM me if you need to chat.

Interestingly I went to a seminary with Trevor Cooper of DogLaw a while back and the subject came up about rescues and their rights to have the dog back. Despite this being written into the rescue's contract he felt that it could sucessfully argued against, particularly if the dog had left the rescue a while ago.
Luthien
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-04-2011, 08:06 PM
Originally Posted by HiHoSilver View Post
I am truly alarmed by how many here have so little respect for rescue organisations that they wouldn't tell them what they're doing with the rescue's dog.And that is what he is - the rescue's dog.You never really own them,you're a kind of superior foster parent.They're the ones who rescued and rehabilitated the dog to make him the lovely chap he is.They are the ones who suffer the worries of running a rescue,the horrors of the mistreated ones.
They go through a lot to have their dogs ready to be homed.
They deserve respect.
They deserve the final say in the dog's future.
They also know better how to measure a future home than you do.
I have the greatest respect for the work they do. I am not sure why you would think otherwise?

My lad came from a rescue.

If I could rehome him (not that I am!), I would re-home him to somewhere ! thought he would be happy. They may have had a week or to to assess him. I have had three years.

Why send him back to a rescue?
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2011, 08:38 PM
Originally Posted by HiHoSilver View Post
I am truly alarmed by how many here have so little respect for rescue organisations that they wouldn't tell them what they're doing with the rescue's dog.And that is what he is - the rescue's dog.You never really own them,you're a kind of superior foster parent.They're the ones who rescued and rehabilitated the dog to make him the lovely chap he is.They are the ones who suffer the worries of running a rescue,the horrors of the mistreated ones.
They go through a lot to have their dogs ready to be homed.
They deserve respect.
They deserve the final say in the dog's future.
They also know better how to measure a future home than you do.
I am not sure that anybody was advocating going behind the back of the rescue centre concerned. Unless I have missed something?! It is merely people discussing whether the rescue centre would go along with a prospective new owner isn't it?

I cannot see anything at all that is disrespectful towards these organisations - just understanding, and perhaps the hope that there will be no need for the dog to go back into kennels.

Oh, and yes I fully understand your passion re the work that the rescue kennels do - and yes they try to make them better pets for their new forever home. However, us "superior foster parents" are the ones that really take on the hard work in the ensuing years. Very hard work sometimes, with a great deal of love and care not to mention expense!

Please don't belittle those who take on these dogs.

You have made me quite cross actually!!! Will go and take a large measure of medicinal scotch.
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

20-04-2011, 08:41 PM
Originally Posted by Luthien View Post
I have the greatest respect for the work they do. I am not sure why you would think otherwise?

If I could rehome him (not that I am!), I would re-home him to somewhere ! thought he would be happy. They may have had a week or to to assess him. I have had three years.

whom said you would necessaily have to?

if yourself and suecurrie are as suitable as you say and would therefore fit rescue criteria, why would it not cross your mind to nod them the wink, just so they could simply meet you?

its only the right and fair thing to do, and often a contractual arrangement.
HiHoSilver
Dogsey Senior
Male 

20-04-2011, 08:51 PM
Of course the owner knows the dog better than the rescue does but they are the ones with experience of home checking.
Their legal rights are questionable to say the least,possession being 9/10ths and all that.I'm talking about moral rights.

I agree with Sue too,it would be stressful for these dogs to go back into kennels unnecessarily although the amount of stress caused by kennelling is nowhere near as great as many think.(I've had a few here,friends dogs, who's owners told me that they always lose weight in boarding kennels and exhibit stress behaviours when they get home.The dogs here don't.They take 2 days maximum to settle.)
But there's no need for them to.
The rescue is notified of the plan,the owner holds on to the dog until the proposed home is approved.No problem.

Bitkin,I'm not in any way belittling the people who bring these dogs into their homes and hearts.
That'd be silly given my situation!!After your soothing scotch look up some of my recent threads..
Just,clumsily obviously,expressing distress at the lack of respect for the rescues.

They have a MORAL right to be told.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2011, 08:53 PM
When adopted my dog from rescue it was in the agreement that if anything happened n I could no longer look after her she would have to be returned to them

You made an agreement or contract with the rescue society that you would meet certain conditions and it was on this proviso that you had the dog.

I wonder how YOU would feel if the positions were reversed?

IE the rescue society decided to renege on its contract with you and say take the dog back?

Would you think this was reasonable, fair or just?

I am struggling to understand why you would not be open and honest with the shelter; do you not expect others to be open and honest with you?

If so, should you not extend to them the same courtesy?
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2011, 09:17 PM
awwwww hun Im so sorry if you have to part with your dog, I hope things can be sorted xxxxxxxxxx always here if you need someone xx
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2011, 11:09 PM
Originally Posted by Luthien View Post

Presumably because like the rest of us who have adopted a dog from rescue, you have signed a contract to state that should the need ever arise, the dog is to go back to that said rescue

K9 - I really hope you dont have to rehome your own wee dog or are you hypothetically thinking? Hugs xx
Crysania
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2011, 12:15 AM
I have issues with rescues who believe they still own the dog even though you pay for the vet bills, you take care of the dog, you do everything for the dog. I'm not comfortable with that. For me, a good rescue says they will take the dog back if they need to or will help you find a new home for the dog if you need them to. I'm not some sort of long-term foster home. If I were, then I would expect the rescue to pay for everything.

I have the utmost respect for rescues and I work with plenty of them, but as in other areas, I think some rescues and the people who work for them are far too controlling. I don't think I'd adopt from one who was essentially retaining ownership and saw me as a glorified foster home. Therefore it wouldn't be a problem for me to rehome my dog with someone who I felt would give her the best home instead of trusting someone else to do it.

The rescue I got Dahlia from did not have a requirement of returning Dahlia to them. They only said that I COULD return her at any time if I couldn't or didn't want to find a new home for her.
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »