Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
k9paw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2011, 05:28 PM

Dog going back

When adopted my dog from rescue it was in the agreement that if anything happened n I could no longer look after her she would have to be returned to them. If another family member who knows the dog well would give her a home, what are the chances that the rescue would agree to the dog staying with them(family)rather than going back to rescue. Please does anyone have any experience of such a situation, I realise they would look into the circumstances and policies might vary(not sure).
Many thanks
H.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2011, 05:42 PM
Much will depend on the rescue and it's own policies.

I do know of a lady who was emigrating and the rescue centre agreed for the dog to go to her sister's family. They did, however, do a home check on the sister before agreeing to the arrangement.
Luthien
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-04-2011, 05:52 PM
TBH, if I needed to rehome my dog, and I knew of a home which would be happy to give the dog a loving home, I knew them, and knew the dog would be suitable for them and be happy, I doubt it would cross my mind to tell them.
HiHoSilver
Dogsey Senior
Male 

20-04-2011, 05:58 PM
If the new home passes the requirements of the rescues policy on rehoming I can't imagine them not approving it.I'd tell them.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2011, 06:00 PM
I am really sorry to hear you are having problems. Will this be a temporary rehome?
I hope things get better for you.
suecurrie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2011, 06:00 PM
I agree with Luthien. I have taken on a rescue from a family that couldn't cope and we didn't bother to tell the rescue society. The family knew me and knew the dog was going to a good home and that was the main thing. You are not rehoming Scoop are you?
Dolce
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-04-2011, 06:59 PM
I think i would tell them, everyone will have the dogs best interest at heart, if the friend ticks the boxes then it shouldn't be a problem.

We were told with ours that she will remain under the umbrella of our rescue for her life. A rescue contact number must be registered on her microchip. I appreciate that they all have their policies.

They won't want to see a dog back in kennels etc, I would hope they would be sympathetic if your friend is a good match. I hope it works out.
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2011, 07:04 PM
My Nephew needed to rehome and returned the dog to the rescue without telling anyone in the family.
When his brother found out he went to try and adopt the dog and the rescue wouldn't let him
I presumed that with one failed home in the family they wouldn't chance it again.

So sorry you are having to consider it. Hope things work out for you.
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-04-2011, 07:10 PM
I am sure that if a proposed new home was satisfactory in the eyes of the rescue centre then they would far rather take this course of action then insist on the dog being taken back to the kennels - after all, they would have to care for the dog once again and then look for another home.

The terms and conditions are obviously there for the protection of the dog - but they are thinking more of the possibility of a dog being dumped again, or passed on to less than caring owners.

If this is what you yourself are facing with your dog, then I truly feel for you.........don't worry, the rescue centre will be fine about it.
HiHoSilver
Dogsey Senior
Male 

20-04-2011, 07:30 PM
I am truly alarmed by how many here have so little respect for rescue organisations that they wouldn't tell them what they're doing with the rescue's dog.And that is what he is - the rescue's dog.You never really own them,you're a kind of superior foster parent.They're the ones who rescued and rehabilitated the dog to make him the lovely chap he is.They are the ones who suffer the worries of running a rescue,the horrors of the mistreated ones.
They go through a lot to have their dogs ready to be homed.
They deserve respect.
They deserve the final say in the dog's future.
They also know better how to measure a future home than you do.
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 > Last »