View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Nicci_L
Almost a Veteran
Female 

15-11-2006, 02:28 PM
Actually the rescues both my dogs came from were quite well known rescues! One of which features on a dog rescue site! (Two rescues out of three that are in my area) people go to both places from all around the country as many are aware that there are no such policies in place - the one rescue one of my dogs come from is actually a rescue with a no destruction policy in place, yet they have no spay or neuter contracts, we were told we would have home check, when actually we were called the day after we saw her, rescue volunteer on the phone asking if we would take her as they were full we were told to take her and we would have a follow on check to see how our dog settled in - we've had her six years now and we're still waiting We've never had as much as a phonecall from them, even just to ask if she's okay (Of course she's okay, but how do they know that?)

I wasnt saying rescues assist puppy farmers, I'm just saying that some rescue's are actually worse than puppy farmers as more often than not (espcially with the two I have had dealings with) they re-home UNWANTED dogs to potential owners specificly looking just to take litters from those unwanted dogs.
spot
Dogsey Veteran

15-11-2006, 02:37 PM
Originally Posted by Zoundz View Post

oh for heavens sake stop twisiting my words!!! I said that that was what you seemed to be implying - ALL reputable breeders have homes lined up before pups are even concieved. I was simply saying that you seem to be implying throughout the thread that there is no such thing as a reputable breeder.

i'm thoroughly sick of this now actually - so I'm not plannign to read it any more - you make me so angry!!! pushing your opinions down everyone elses throat! It only ever seems to be rescues who are 'holier than thou' and insist that they are always right on every matter 'because they are a rescue'.

sorry if this upsets anyone - I know full well that it's not all rescues, and most are pretty sound and do their best to work with breeders for the animal's sake - those that don't - well, you don't deserve our bile quite frankly.

have fun bickering.

xx
Ok I do apologise if I appear to be pushing my opinions down peoples throats or have implied there is no such thing as a good breeder as this is not my belief I do think there is such a thing. Rescue is very dear to my heart and to see them compared to puppy farmers is very hurtful to me and thats why I became so involved in this thread.

I can only apologise to everyone I have upset by my attitude.
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-11-2006, 03:08 PM
This is a very emotive subject, lets not fall out over views which appear to differ on the surface when in fact we are all on the same side. Its always difficult to put things across well in writing [ it is for me anyway ] and all too easy for things to be taken the wrong way in the heat of the moment.

As everyone probably knows, I`m pro-rescue, but had someone come across a couple of instances I know of, they could easily be anti-rescue.
An example :
I know a Beardie breeder. She breeds only from good lines, every health check under the sun being done not just on hers but on all their ancestors. She has bred one litter and plans another from one of the litter she bred. The first dam was spayed after her litter.
Both dogs do Showing [ both having been to Crufts ], agility, Obedience, and have great lives.
Of the litter born, she had a waiting list of twice as many homechecked and reference checked potential owners as there were pups.
The planned litter from the daughter also has a waiting list with the same concerns met as the other litter.
She keeps in regular contact with the owners and is prepared to take every one of them back at any time should that be necessary for any reason, and did not go ahead with the mating until she felt able to fulfil that on the pups` behalfs for the future.
She also places endorsements and would go to court if those were breeched.

By comparrison :
I heard of a `rescue` who refuse permission for their dogs to be neutered [ a breed rescue ] and retain breeding rights on them.....

We all agree, there are good and bad in breeders *and* in rescues.
We can all agree that given the examples above, the breeder is far more reputable and ethical than that breed rescue.
I know, and many here know, that if one breeder or one rescue isn`t doing things right, you try another and another until you find the right one. A first time potential owner, if the two in the examples were the ones they first came across, which way are they likely to go in making thier choice ?

The only way to get anything done to sort the wheat from the chaff, among breeders *and* rescues, and to push for stricter legislations to protect the dogs, is to unite on this.

Please :smt001
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-11-2006, 03:48 PM
I`m just going to add something else I have noticed on the thread - Spot has been polite in putting across views but I think there may have been some misunderstandings because of Allbreeds more blunt approach, [ I do know how you feel Allbreeds, believe me ].
Perhaps a bit of misdirected ire going on here and there as a result ?

Lets all just chill guys, there is room for all opinions without hackles going up just because of what looks, [ to me ], like misconstrued comments.

I am not singling anyone out btw, its a general observation and just a polite request from one Dogsey member to all :smt001 ]
megan57collies
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-11-2006, 03:52 PM
Here, here Patch. Totally agree. I think sometimes on here, people can read the same thing and interpret in different ways not always in the positive I appreciate and understand where SPOT is coming from. She at least is someone that puts her view forward, respects other views and leaves it at that. A healthy debate is always good, getting personal isn't.
(AND NO BEFORE ANYONE REPLIES AND HAS A GO, I'M NOT HAVING A GO AT ANYONE, JUST GENERALISING)
megan57collies
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-11-2006, 03:53 PM
Okay Patch you're freaking me out now. We both posted similar posts at the same time
CAN YOU SEE ME RIGHT NOW!!!!
megan57collies
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-11-2006, 03:54 PM
:smt041 Patch. I'm here
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-11-2006, 03:59 PM
Originally Posted by megan57collies View Post
:smt041 Patch. I'm here

:smt044 :smt044 :smt044
Mayhew Animal Home
Listed Rescue on Dogsey

15-11-2006, 05:36 PM
Originally Posted by megan57collies View Post
How many breeders do pre home visits?
Not all breeders can, then again not all rescues do home visits either due to finance or manpower
How many do regular post home visits?
Not many breeders and not many rescues either
How many keep the microchips registered in their name?
Not many as some do not like to microchip 8 wk old puppies and some pups will go to the other side of the country so it is better the owner has it in their name. What happens if the breeder is away on holiday and the only contact is the breeder. If the owner looses their dog you can bet they'll be sitting by the phone waiting for it to ring. Trust me, been there. Rescues in the main will try and home dogs in a local area to themselves.How many breeders do you know that have taken a dog back because his/her care is not up to standard?
Again not many rescues have the resource to do constant post visits due to lack of manpower or funding.
How many ask for letters from landlord, councils etc?
How far do you grill someone?How many insist on seeing proof of receipt the new owner has paid for a course of training?
As I said in a previous post, once a puppy has been sold. The breeder has very little rights, even if they put things in a contract, legally the breeder doesn't have much of a leg to stand on
How many ask for proof the dog has been neutered or bred from?
How can you ask for proof when it's an 8 week old pup? How can you compare between a pup and a two year old rescue. Most rescues neuter the dog before rehoming, duh.What the breeder normally does is put endorsements on via the kc therefore stopping registration of any pups. It's the only thing that can be done.
How many would take the owner to court if the dogs was being bred from?
I really do not want to get into an argument on a public forum, however, I would like to point out that The Mayhew Animal Home carryout every single one of the above checks, as do most of the reputable rescues, including AllBreeds Rescue.
Mayhew Animal Home
Listed Rescue on Dogsey

15-11-2006, 05:37 PM
posted twice
Page 38 of 39 « First < 28 35 36 37 38 39 >