Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

02-02-2008, 09:58 PM
Originally Posted by sjpurt View Post
hi i would wait if you can till you see the vet, if really worried can you call a diffrent near you and see if they could see you both quicker..
Hi Lotsofus I too would wait to see the vet, it is only two days away and trying to treat the condition yourself may only half do the job while masking the symptoms.

Also as Joedee says some preparations contain Invermectin to which some breeds have an intolerance and it can produce a severe reaction.

Some canine skin infections are not species specific and can affect humans, so it is a good idea to wash your hands well after touching your dog.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-02-2008, 08:56 AM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
May I ask why Jodee?? Just that it sounds quite a profound statement, but you haven't said why? I'm only interested that's all, sorry if I appear abrupt, it's just that you've left me at least hanging in the air so to speak??? I'm assuming here that Hibiscrub has invermectin in it???? Perhaps not
Sorry we had a power cut so couldn't get back to finish off my post

Invermectin(or any derivative-like Advocate, Imodium etc)as well as certain other drugs can cause a severe & even fatal reaction in all herding breeds.

I've just had all my BC's tested for the gene that governs this reaction-MDR1(multi-drug resistance 1)

Nothing to do with the Hibiscrub, but using Advocate on an untested dog that might have herding breeds in the background(this includes some lurchers of cause as they often have BCs behind them)could have a worse result in a worse situation than the one the drug is used for

Better safe than sorry-BTW it applies to ALL herding breeds not just the collies
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-02-2008, 09:15 AM
as its a old dog id work on boosting its immune system, thats why the mites can get over active
lotsforus
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-02-2008, 10:43 AM
Hi thanks for the replies. Haven't had the time to get back online. I took him to the vets this morning and they have given me stronghold to try and keep washing with the hibiscrub then if there is no improvement in a week or so to come back for further tests.

So hope the stronghold does the trick. I have been feeding him oily fish live yoghurt and vit E to try and help his skin does this sound ok?
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-02-2008, 11:38 AM
To me it does, they all help to improve the skin. Just do what the vet says and you'll just have to see how it goes I'm afraid. I've got a terribly itchy dog, but he's on ab's almost permanently! I hope you sort it out.

Thanks for getting back to me Jodee, a lot of the wormers have that in don't they? Can you imagine how many dogs they just treat with those wormers without questioning the Ivermectin danger? I dread to think!
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-02-2008, 12:57 PM
Originally Posted by lotsforus View Post
So hope the stronghold does the trick. I have been feeding him oily fish live yoghurt and vit E to try and help his skin does this sound ok?
You could also look into giving a Zinc Supplement , & also Garlic (which helps everything)
lotsforus
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-02-2008, 01:46 PM
Thanks I will try the garlic and zinc as well.
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-02-2008, 02:32 PM
As an aside. Fudge had a reaction to the wormer she was first given. Drontal I think . She is now given Panacur for that very reason.
leodgreat
New Member!
Male 

19-07-2008, 04:38 AM
Hi to all Dogsey members,

My name is Leo, I am happy to become a member of this group of dog lovers whose primary concern is the welfare of man's best friend.

Thanks,

Leo
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-07-2008, 06:29 AM
How do you know it is demodectic mange, has the vet already done a scrape? In my experience none of the normal preparations used on other parasites works with demodex. Normally it will not cause itching unless there is a secondary infection and if it is demodex it will need the correct insecticide to deal with the problem.

If the dog is able to be treated with Invermectin and is elderly that is the way to go as continual bathing of a 12 year old dog is very distressing and in its self will increase the likelihood of the immunity system becoming compromised. However as stated the dog must have no herding blood in its makeup.
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >