View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
suecurrie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-05-2011, 05:29 PM
My three are only on the lead for a few minutes before we reach the fields so they don't sniff/wee etc as they are totally focused on where we are going They don't all walk to heel but don't pull either and I have total control.
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-05-2011, 05:33 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
TBH I would and have remonstrated with people who allow their dogs to urinate on my garden fence. Why do people let their dogs do it?

This is not urinating it is marking and IMV unacceptable. My fence/gate is not a toilet!

And then of course ANOTHER dog comes along and wants to mark over it until you have a garden reeking of pee!

I never allow my dogs to pee outside people's houses, up their fences or gate posts or on lamp posts. The former because I would find it equally unacceptable if a male human peed outside my house and the latter because I do know of dogs (and owners) who have been electrocuted doing this.

So I am a strange person (but you knew that)
Er but I didn't (and don't) let my dog wee up anyone's fence! It was an elderly man with a Lhasa Apso! Parker was 6 feet away from her fence and he hasn't got legs like a giraffe!
Our local PCSO went and had a word with this lady about shouting at innocent people in the street-anyone listening may have thought I had not cleared up after my dog and that is abhorrent to me.
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-05-2011, 05:42 PM
I agree with Smokeybear about dogs weeing up people's 'property'. I dont allow my dogs to wee up people's rose bushes, fences or walls etc simply because I wouldnt like another dog to do it to mine. Flynn has taken to peeing up the plantpots in the back yard and I dont like that neither.

One of my neighbours has a springer and I often chat to him whilst me and mine are out on the side lawn. Obviously mine have wee'd on there and he allows his dog to scent mark on there too. It's rude IMO and not on - got enough brown patches without his dog adding to them!

I much prefer dogs to bitches but I have to say that scent marking and urinating up everything is a behaviour that I dont like about males.
valandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-05-2011, 06:49 PM
My dogs are hardly ever on a lead. But when i do put them on i just dont want them to pull. I dont mind them stopping for a sniff or what ever.

BUT if im coming from a long free run with them, then put them on the lead i see no reason why they should stop all the time for a sniff. So we practise heal work
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-05-2011, 06:59 PM
Originally Posted by Kerryowner View Post
Er but I didn't (and don't) let my dog wee up anyone's fence! It was an elderly man with a Lhasa Apso! Parker was 6 feet away from her fence and he hasn't got legs like a giraffe!
Our local PCSO went and had a word with this lady about shouting at innocent people in the street-anyone listening may have thought I had not cleared up after my dog and that is abhorrent to me.

I was making a general observation as both a dog owner and a fence owner!
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-05-2011, 07:02 PM
[QUOTE=Leanne_W;2270542I much prefer dogs to bitches but I have to say that scent marking and urinating up everything is a behaviour that I dont like about males.[/QUOTE]

I share your pain!

But you don't have to LET them scent mark up everything; I would be mortified if my dogs went up the road, stopping wherever they liked and peeing up everything they liked!

So like you I do not allow it. I often wonder how these people would react if a bloke came down the road and watered every other garden/fence/gate.........
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-05-2011, 07:24 PM
my worst 'scent marker' (if allowed) is my oldest bitch!

original question... next to me,(isnt that heel?) i walk everywhere! we go on all public transport,Tupac even went to the marathon last year.they cant be scent marking and taking as much space as they want.

i hate and dread seeing owners with dogs on flexis or walking infront on the end of a lead whilst pavement walking.
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-05-2011, 09:24 PM
I was making a general observation as both a dog owner and a fence owner!
Oh that's ok then! I had a stray Staffie follow me home once (fortunately that was a morning when Cherry had decided she would rather go back to bed than come out for a walk) and he peed all up my porch so I was not pleased!!

We did see an older male child (10?) peeing up a hedge on a main road bordering fields last week-not nice!
Jenn~n~Luke
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-06-2011, 05:09 AM
For me, it depends on where we are. In my neighborhood we have a ton of dogs, new ones coming every day and almost all of them are either human and/or dog aggressive. Luke is the only dog we see who actually knows how to walk properly (I'm always kind of proud of him for that when it's' mentioned whenever we go out )) So when we're on the sidewalks and in a heavy traffic area he is to stay at my side. Not the techncial heel work where he stops and sits everytime I stop or where he's constantly staring at my face...but loose leash at my side.
He is a marker...it's his thing, and since these walks are for HIM, not me, he can stop and sniff and pee on every tree and pole and bush that he wants to. Does it get annoying at times?Sure..but again the walk is for his enjoyment more than my own. He's gotta check his pee mail ya know. that being said if we're in a hurry to get somewhere he is perfectly ok with being told to not stop every five feet.
In low traffic areas, I'm not as strict. If he happens to go a bit ahead of me I'm not freaking out about it or taking it as a sign he's out to rule the world and dominate me He's not allowed to pull. But he never really has so it's not a problem.
I just can't justify in my mind, taking my dog out and marchig along like we're in the army parade or somethng. There's no enjoyment in that for either of us.
Its still nice to see how he's the only dog around here who's walking at my side instead of dragging me around and lunging at everything that moves though
Jenn~n~Luke
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-06-2011, 05:15 AM
I share your pain!

But you don't have to LET them scent mark up everything; I would be mortified if my dogs went up the road, stopping wherever they liked and peeing up everything they liked!

So like you I do not allow it. I often wonder how these people would react if a bloke came down the road and watered every other garden/fence/gate.........
lol in my neighborhood? I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see it. But to me....comparing a dog's natural behavior and having expectations on that based on what we'd expect from human beings is a bit much. I don't expect a human being to come sniff me ars either, but Im not going to freak out about it if a dog happens to do it lol. They are dogs, and as much as we may acclimate them into our daily lives,they should still at the end of the day be allowed to retain some dog qualities.

ETA::Sorry I just read back a bit further..and realized you were talking about dogs peeing on your property. In that case, I agree..Luke is not allowed to mark people's fences or their lawns.

Now ask me if it bothers me when people don't scoop after their dogs...TOTALLY different story
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >