Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2009, 12:55 AM

Disgusted with trainer tonight!!

Hi All,

I take Yiannis to his puppy class on a Tuesday from 7pm-8pm. The intermediate class starts at 730pm and runs until 830pm when the advanced class starts, which runs until 930pm.

After Yiannis's class has finished I go home, swap him for Zane asnd taken him to the advanced class. It gives me a chance for a quick drink, which I need at this time of year evne when training outside.

Anyway, the intermediate class I attended only a few times. Because the trainer has recently decided to follow CM (no this is NOT another CM thread) I decided to work hard with Zane to bump him up to the advanced class. It didn't take very long and now Zane is doing very well with his obedience, scent work, send aways etc.

Anyway, I got back early with Zane this evening to see the end of the intermediate class. There was a dog (Doberman X) called Thomas who used to be the best in the puppy class. He's a lovely dog, very friendly but also very boisterous. As we are on opposite ends of the field for the half hour overlap we can see the other class working and Thomas seemed to do quite well.

At the end of the class, Thomas tugged onm his lead to get to the large bowl of water that had been put out for the dogs. His owned dragged him back but once corrected, proceeded to let him drink. The trainer form that class walked over, took Thomas away from his owner saying he shouldn't let him pull, wrestled Thomas to the ground which obviously hurt the dog judging by the way he was almost screaming at one point and once Thomas had had enough, kept him there for almost 15 minutes.

I felt so sorry for Thomas. He didn't know what he was supposed to have done wrong.

I was sitting next to the trainer who takes the puppy class at this time and pointed out to her that that was one of the reasons I skipped the intermediate class. What concerns me is this - Thomas's owner just stood there. he didn't take his dog back, he didn't tell the trainer he would deal with Thomas, he didn't insist he let Thomas go or get up, he didn't say anything about him hurting Thomas - he did absolutely nothing. Idiot!

As if that wasn't bad enough, the trainer came over towards where we were sitting although a little way further down where his family were (what a great example to set his kids who were there with one of his dogs!) and I heard him say that was the way to deal with big dogs.

Yeah, right. try to hurt my dog you have to go through me first!

I knew this trainer had started to use these methods but as I wasn't in his class, it didn't bother me. As far as I'm concerned, I take my dogs to training so that I can train them, nobody else. So it's a mystery to me why anyoen would allow a trainer to take their dog and proceed to treat them like that.

Now, I'm not a nasty person generally and I don't wish bad on anyone. But to be honest, if I saw this particular trainer drop dead in the street, I'd walk round him and leave him there!

rant over.

Laura xx
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2009, 04:44 AM
Good grief! Honestly, CM has an awful lot to answer for.

Poor puppy......

I think I would be having a word with the owner...

x0x
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2009, 05:20 AM
I personally feel that the problem with some of these classes is that owners think the trainer knows everything, therefore although inside they may not like what is happening they go along with it.

The problem is when we are faced with those in authority (or they'd have you believe) Dr's, Solicitors, Trainers.....we assume that they know and we don't.

If that had of had been me just witnessing that, I'd of walked over and said something sorry but thats me.
Promethean
Dogsey Junior
Male 

10-06-2009, 05:52 AM
Thomas doesn't have the owner or trainer he deserves.
Lizzy23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2009, 05:52 AM
your dead right to rant, if he'd have done that to one of mine, i'd have tipped him on his back and kept him there for 15 minutes.

From what you've said thomas had been working hard for an hr and wanted a drink, to punish him for having one is cruel in my opininion
HannahCB
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-06-2009, 06:10 AM
ow thats disgusting poor Thomas!!! If it where my dog i would have had something to say and told her i didnt want that doing to my dog so she should be wrestled to the floor and made to submit!! I like CM and have never seen him do that to a dog just for pulling he stops corrects them and then continues. Its stupid people like this who give him a bad name by not having a clue what there doing and just doing what they think is right.

Poor Thomas i hope his owner doesnt take him there again xx
Lotsadogs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-06-2009, 06:36 AM
Originally Posted by youngstevie View Post
I personally feel that the problem with some of these classes is that owners think the trainer knows everything, therefore although inside they may not like what is happening they go along with it.

That is exactly right! Many people bow down to trainers (and rightly so in some cases - they are, after all, supposed to know more and be better at, training dogs, than the course attendee's.)

The problem is that some people lack the confidence to actually stand by what experince or beliefs they do have about their dog, or their dog training wants. Some people aso genuinely believe that they should follow ANY advice or instruction that a trainer gives no matter wht the affect on their dog. I dont think htis makes them a "BAD" dog owner, I think it just makes them either very inexperinced or very under confident. We all lack confidence in some arena's.

Personally, I think that handlign anyones dog should be on invitation only basis. And Man-handling any dog, should not occur at all.

Im guessing there will be less dogs in that class next week!

Id be curious to know who that trainer is ....?
MissE
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2009, 06:41 AM
Sometimes it can be the sheer surprise of the moment.. but a 15 minute hold down, I think I'd have been saying "pack it in" at the very least.
Personally if I witnessed it even, I'd be complaining to whomsoever runs the training club.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

10-06-2009, 06:44 AM
that is so sad poor thomas his owner had corrected him hen let him drink surely that was enough.

I would like to see some of these trainers get near Ollie and do that he would bite their had off. I hope Thomas's owner if they didn't have the confidence to step in last night and stop it have gone home thought about it and never return.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

10-06-2009, 06:46 AM
I like CM but if someone tried that with one of my dogs they'd get a swift kick in the B*ll*cks and would be told they're a total tw*t and knows naff all about CM or any other form of training. I'd also ask for my money back and take it elsewhere.
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 > Last »