View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Emma
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-11-2010, 10:49 AM
That is terribly sad, and as you said you may have got away lightly if it is something to do with that area, that poor man must be shattered losing a dog so young
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-11-2010, 11:28 AM
Yes I know Emma, she was a gorgeous dog too, I can't quite get my head around it I've been Googling now of course, and the most likely cause of kidney failure apparently is poisoning! Of course, being the pheasant shooting season, some of those b*stards that raise them, put out poisoned bait for the foxes, I do know this, as they were raising them behind my horses field once and that's how my previous dog managed to get hold of some poisoned bait they had put in the middle of a field! You just never know do you, even though it's obviously illegal to do this on public land, sometimes I have my doubts!

No,I won't be walking up there again, I've got loads of places to walk, just that it's such a nice area with woodland, but we can do without it for a while, just to be safe. I know my imagination sometimes runs wild with me, but then again, sometimes it's paid off! Thanks Em, I should have given him a hug shouldn't I, but I didn't want to set him off, he was doing really well telling me all about it, but I could see how upset he was.
Emma
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-11-2010, 11:41 AM
They do the same here, the posion is suppose to be highly regulated and signs put up and all property owners notified, but I know of so many cases where no one has any idea that there is baiting going on in adjoining properties. Plus birds can pick the bait up and drop it who knows where. It really is terrible stuff
Elaine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-11-2010, 11:49 AM
I managed to miss this thread as I've not been online much last couple days.

I'm so pleased the gorgeous Zena is feeling better!!

So sorry for your mates GSD.

Give Zena and Georgie gentle hugs from me and mine.

xx
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-11-2010, 01:49 PM
Sorry to hear about your friends dog. That was the exact same thing that happened to my first GSD puppy Rebel. He ate something poisonous whilst out walking through the fields and the toxins spread throughout his system so quickly he couldn't be saved.

It's a real worry as everyone knows how quickly dogs can gobble something up on a walk, you never think it could be poisonous do you?

On a lighter note, am so thrilled to hear Zena is back to herself now xx
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-11-2010, 04:30 PM
Originally Posted by girliebiker View Post
I managed to miss this thread as I've not been online much last couple days.

I'm so pleased the gorgeous Zena is feeling better!!

So sorry for your mates GSD.

Give Zena and Georgie gentle hugs from me and mine.

xx
Thanks girliebiker I think we can safely say Zena back to her normal self!She's pestering the life out of me to go out into the garden, but it's p*ssing down, blowing a gale, so she'll just have to put up with playing indoors with me! xxx

Originally Posted by Anne-Marie View Post
Sorry to hear about your friends dog. That was the exact same thing that happened to my first GSD puppy Rebel. He ate something poisonous whilst out walking through the fields and the toxins spread throughout his system so quickly he couldn't be saved.

It's a real worry as everyone knows how quickly dogs can gobble something up on a walk, you never think it could be poisonous do you?

On a lighter note, am so thrilled to hear Zena is back to herself now xx
Thanks AM, and I didn't know about this happening to a puppy of yours too! What a terrible loss, I'm so sorry, but as you say, anything tasty lying about, well, gone isn't it!

Yes, Zena is fine now, back to her old self, and I hope she doesn't scare me again like that for another year or more! Still no after affects from the other end, so I will never know, but at least it's over now.xxx
katandcolin
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-11-2010, 04:44 PM
Im so happy Zena is on the mend, you must have been so scared.
this thread brought back memories of my mums westie Bonnie. She passed a couple of months ago, throuh poisoning. We live in a town and have no idea what it was. The house has been checked top to bottom so it must have been something on a walk. Heartbreaking and I really feel for your friend.
We are so helpless in situations like these. i have to try to reassure my mum that there was nothing she could have done.
big hugs to zena xxxxx
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-11-2010, 05:47 PM
Oh no, not another one I'm so sorry to hear about your mum's poor Bonnie, it must have been so devastating and so unnecessary to lose a beloved pet like that, quite horrific.

the more I'm hearing on here, the more worried I'm getting, but as you say, what can we do!

Zena is absolutely fine thank goodness, but I'm going to be watching her like a hawk when she's out in my garden now, as I just spoke to a friend who lives locally and she said a gsd was poisoned up the other end of the village last year when some b*stard threw something over the fence which it ate I suppose some people could get a little p*ssed off the way my dogs bark when they walk past the 6ft fence, but then it soon stops when they've passed and they're quite safe, but it's certainly got me thinking now.xxxx
Benzmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-11-2010, 06:18 PM
Oh H that is so terribly sad, and to all those who have lost dogs in similar circumstances. Ever since Ben was a pup he has been like a hoover so we taught him "DIRTY" and he will immediately drop whatever he is eating.
he will still look at it but will drop it like a hot potato (no pun intended) I was so worried about people putting down poisoned stuff near my mums.
Ben still has no emergency stop command which would be really useful , but his "dirty" has saved him from eating old chicken carcasses in the park ( a local resident puts them down for foxes )
So glad Zena is back to normal give her an extra big hug from us xxx
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

12-11-2010, 06:29 PM
Pleased to hear Zena is back to her old self.

So sad about the other dogs, we once had a cat many years ago that got hold of rat poison. I worry about Ollie he is such a scavenger and he has normally swallowed something n seconds before you can get your hand down his throat to retrieve it.

Someone was asking me the other week if he had been ill since walking in our usual place as her retrievers have been sick several times in the past couple of months. Ollie has been ok bit of sickness here and there but nothing too worrying. Does get you thinking though doesn't it ?
Page 9 of 10 « First < 6 7 8 9 10 >