Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tarimoor
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-09-2012, 05:49 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
I wasn't getting stroppy; perhaps it came across that way as I was a little busy settling current foster in! I wasn't sure what your point was. I spoke about my lack of faith in intelligence testing and you started to talk about ethics

My friend has lived in the area for 50 years. He absolutely knows what he is doing. Saved by quick thinking but it was close.
We have many predators, we as a species carry a lot of weight! As a species with many predators we cannot be top of the food chain.

Yes I know it was but it isn't what you said

As I said to Tarrimoor, better scientists than us will continue with the 'who is top of the food chain' debate but I am very firmly on the 'not us' side ( as you can probably tell), given,should they really feel that way inclined my dogs could eat me and I would be able to do very little about it.
I'm just about to dish tea up, and am too tired at the moment to respond properly, will try and come back to you tomorrow with why I mentioned ethics. It wasn't a direct go at anyone, more a general comment.
chaospony
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-09-2012, 01:37 AM
Just read through this whole thread. And only have one thought to add....

What would this conversation have been if it had been two pet dogs killed by the fox instead of rabbits????

In the States Coyotes are going urban just like the fox in the UK, the difference Coyotes can and do take small dogs and cats as food items. Would you feel the same sharing you area with a wild animal that would kill your dog or cat? Just a hypothetical question to throw into the mix, as many people do love their small furries as much as others love their dogs.
And personally I would defend my animals by any means possible.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-09-2012, 11:36 AM
Originally Posted by Tarimoor View Post
I think what's getting mixed up (not by you but just generally) is intelligence and ethics, someone can be intelligent but lack ethics to use that intelligence wisely, which for me includes lacking the motivation to actually use their own intelligence in a way which beneifts them and possibly others, not just having intelligence and using it in a way that is obviously detrimental to others and our surroundings.

Depends which field you stand in, considering the ritual for a Masai male is to go out and kill a male lion with nothing more than a spear, if you were stood in a field in Kenya/Tanzania, you may well find lions are fearful of man, and will run away. If you did the same in Botswana or other southern African countries, you'd find them less fearful, as they are not hunted in the same way. Snakes generally slither away as quickly as possible, it's only when they feel cornered they resort to other methods of intimidation, it's only a handful of snakes world wide that are actually considered to be *aggressive*. So it depends what you call a predator really, having lived in Africa I've come across snakes, scorpions, poisonous centipedes and spiders, and all sorts outside my back door and always came off the best, I've sat next to lions on a fresh kill less than six feet away, in an open topped vehicle, because lions don't recognise us as possible prey in that instance. I'm not a scientist btw, just a slightly intelligent human being

I have to disagree about foxes and rabbits, I've seen rabbits sunbathing, and pigeons, both ideal snacks or a myriad of predators, just as I've seen foxes sneaking off at the sign of something they find evokes a sense of fear, even if they don't understand why. That aside, neither the fox or the rabbit would feel any different if they were actually pursued, I think both would feel the same way, it's a natural part of the flight mechanism for all animals, not just prey animals.

I apologise but my understanding of blow fly is the one that lays it's eggs on clothing, which then transfers to your skin where it hatches and burrows into your skin and actually pupates under the skin beore emerging as an adult. I've never referred to bluebottles as blow fly or heard them referred to as this name, but it seems the term 'blow fly' refers to a whole family of these insects. Hence the confusion
I think you are thinking of bot flies? Round these parts, blow flies and bluebottles are the same nasty large fat flies, which lay clusters of tiny yellow specks on mainly meat or fish, and which hatch into maggots. Both the eggs and the maggots will make you extremely ill ... yuck!!

Sorry for the confusion
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-09-2012, 12:00 PM
Originally Posted by chaospony View Post

What would this conversation have been if it had been two pet dogs killed by the fox instead of rabbits????

In the States Coyotes are going urban just like the fox in the UK, the difference Coyotes can and do take small dogs and cats as food items. Would you feel the same sharing you area with a wild animal that would kill your dog or cat? Just a hypothetical question to throw into the mix, as many people do love their small furries as much as others love their dogs.
Yup ... and I do. My daughter has 3 chihuahuas, one of which is a little devil for looking down holes. We have a badger's sett down the bottom of our field, and we have to remember when we have little man with us not to let him stick his head down because Mr Brock is more than capable of taking it off with one snap. Badgers are even more vicious than foxes when defending their cubs, their homes and their territories ... so what? It is the instinctive behaviour of all life on earth to live long enough to be able to breed, to pass on their genes and to ensure if at all possible that their young live to maturity to do likewise. It is NIMBYISM in the extreme to get all crinkly if you choose to live in the countryside, and lose a beloved pet to Mr Brock or Charlie Fox. I can accept that if one lives in a city it would be slightly more irksome to have a fox take your pet, but again the fox is only following his instinct to survive and pass on his genes in the best way possible. If that means he has to move into the city to have an easier living, then don't blame the fox, blame nature!
Kerriebaby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-09-2012, 12:11 PM

Not really relevant, as we do not have coyotes in the UK. However, If I lived in a country where there was a risk, such as this then I would take every step possible to ensure safety.
chaospony
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-09-2012, 12:36 PM
Originally Posted by Kerriebaby View Post
Not really relevant, as we do not have coyotes in the UK. However, If I lived in a country where there was a risk, such as this then I would take every step possible to ensure safety.
Which is why I said hypothetically question, as in look at it from a different point of view to what others will experience. It is a bit like the rabies point that was brought up before, if there was rabies in the UK what would you think of foxes then? As they would be putting your pet dogs and children and family at serious risk if that were the case.

And just to point out the OP had taken those steps to try to ensure the rabbits safety, the fox still managed to break through.
Kerriebaby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-09-2012, 12:41 PM
Which is why I said hypothetically question, as in look at it from a different point of view to what others will experience. It is a bit like the rabies point that was brought up before, if there was rabies in the UK what would you think of foxes then? As they would be putting your pet dogs and children and family at serious risk if that were the case.

And just to point out the OP had taken those steps to try to ensure the rabbits safety, the fox still managed to break through.
Well, that would be something to be addressed. IE vaccinate dogs/cats/people. Take measures to ensure no access possible by wild animals (id imagine countries with dangerous reptiles/big cats etc do this!)

Ref the rabbits...its sad (sorry OP) but, its just one of those things. You have taken all measures, but, the fox is a wild animal, they were here before us.
chaospony
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-09-2012, 12:43 PM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
Yup ... and I do. My daughter has 3 chihuahuas, one of which is a little devil for looking down holes. We have a badger's sett down the bottom of our field, and we have to remember when we have little man with us not to let him stick his head down because Mr Brock is more than capable of taking it off with one snap. Badgers are even more vicious than foxes when defending their cubs, their homes and their territories ... so what? It is the instinctive behaviour of all life on earth to live long enough to be able to breed, to pass on their genes and to ensure if at all possible that their young live to maturity to do likewise. It is NIMBYISM in the extreme to get all crinkly if you choose to live in the countryside, and lose a beloved pet to Mr Brock or Charlie Fox. I can accept that if one lives in a city it would be slightly more irksome to have a fox take your pet, but again the fox is only following his instinct to survive and pass on his genes in the best way possible. If that means he has to move into the city to have an easier living, then don't blame the fox, blame nature!
And see it is also in our nature to protect what is ours (farmers and such as it is their livelihood and their survival depends on their livestock) just as much as the wild animals are, so even by your logic people do have the right to act in a natural way. So why is one animal worth more than another? And who decides, cull the fox? let the fox kill whatever he wants?
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

17-09-2012, 01:09 PM

I currently have a pup I can hold in one hand so when I'm standing in my densely planted garden at 2.30 in the morning in the dark I keep watch on her at all times. We have foxes that come into the garden regularly and have never had an incident with the cats or the pups. It doesn't stop me being vigilant but it's not something I fret about either. No one disputes anyone loves their rabbits or guinea pigs or chickens for that matter but you do have to accept the risks you run if you have foxes locally. That doesn't mean because my small animals could possibly be at risk I would want to shoot the foxes because I wouldn't.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-09-2012, 04:01 PM
And see it is also in our nature to protect what is ours (farmers and such as it is their livelihood and their survival depends on their livestock) just as much as the wild animals are, so even by your logic people do have the right to act in a natural way. So why is one animal worth more than another? And who decides, cull the fox? let the fox kill whatever he wants?
I couldn't agree more. I have never said though that one animal is worth more than another, just the opposite in fact. I would defend the right of the fox to kill for food as vociferously as I would defend my right to do so. Foxes, like us, will take the easy route to a meal where possible. Just like you and I will go the supermarket and buy everything under one roof, rather than traipse around the town all day going to different shops, so will a fox raid a chicken coop if he is lucky enough to find one he can break into and he will kill every last chicken. Left unmolested, he will come back regularly to collect another carcase. How can you blame him? To him, that chicken coop is Tesco!!
Page 18 of 31 « First < 8 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 28 > Last »