Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-09-2008, 09:40 AM
hugs and best wishes from me too x
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

25-09-2008, 11:00 AM
Thanks all off to see her today I haven't seen her since she fell. Taking her Friend, my Sister and my eldest Son to see her as well.
We are hoping she has learnt her lesson about doing things she shouldn't but I very much doubt it.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-09-2008, 12:23 PM
Good luck for this afternoon Lynn, and sorry I missed this original thread somehow.

When you say about her spilling her tea, I've bought my mum some of those plastic beakers, the baby ones, from Sainsbury's about £5 each and everything goes in one of those, hot or cold! It saves them the embarrassment of spilling it and making them shake even more, bless them. If you're looking for a stairlift you couldn't get better than an Acorn and if you're going this route, pm me and I will give you the details, coz I can get you £50 off and £50 for myself in the process!! We're well happy with ours, it's a complete godsend to us here, and make sure you don't pay what they ask, you can knock at least £800 quid off it, just as I did when I walked away!!!!

The ward sounds the same type as my mum had, they ignore the buzzers too! She said she used to time it, and it was usually half an hour after pressing it that somebody would come, so she used to press it after they'd brought the commode, knowing she would need it again in the half hour! They then blanked her completely though!!! As you say, you won't win with them, they know all the ropes in there, so don't get involved in trying, it'll upset you all over again!

I hope you find your mum chirpy and happy and not miserable, but she's been through a lot now, so bite that tongue if you can!!! You may be surprised, she might actually have learned a big lesson this time, but of course, they soon forget, trust me!!! All the best, I hope it all goes smoothly and stress free, will be thinking of you.xxxxx
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

25-09-2008, 06:11 PM
Well back from our visit, she is in a lot of pain. Was pleased to see her Friend and Mark that cheered her up.
They have now given her a plastic beaker Helena thank goodness but she is not eating as she has no appetite and isn't feeling too well.
This is going to be a long haul and I somehow think she will need rehabilitation before going back to her house.
Thanks for the info Helena re: the stair lift she has had one of those for nearly 2 years after breaking the right hip.
Just have to wait and see now what happens from here.
Thanks for all the good wishes.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

25-09-2008, 06:39 PM
Hi Lynn, glad everything went as well as could be expected in the circumstances. Don't know what to advise really, have you, or Gill, managed to speak to the Social Services person on the ward or anything like that to find out exactly what the prognosis is. To me, she is in no way fit to go back to live on her own.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-09-2008, 06:58 PM
Awww Lynn, I bet she's in pain poor love. I remember how awful it was to see my mum like that after her op or even after the fractured hip alone, so I know how depressing it must have been for you to see her like that. My mum didn't eat much either, and before the fall she was 9 1/2 stone and by the time I got her into the care home out of the hospital she was down to 7, so this is quite normal. I think the mere body shock to her system makes them lose their appetite, but I hope she'll soon be out of there and into some rehab somewhere. As June said, I really, really think it's time for Gill to book an appointment with the social services woman and get her assessed before the time comes for her to be discharged, otherwise it's all done so hurriedly coz they will want her bed! They will only keep her in there until she can walk a few steps on the zimmer, and they will be making her walk a few steps every day, especially after they've pinned her hip, but of course you probably already know this from the previous op. If she insists on going home, which is her right of course, maybe the social services if they assess here, just won't let her do that, they will insist she goes somewhere to recoup, just like my mum had to, they wouldn't even let ME have her back at home, let alone let her be on her own.

I'm just glad you're still keeping a bit of distance and letting the others do their bit this time, it can't be easy, I do know that, but then we only had me to do it, I had no choice. There is light at the end of the tunnel Lynn, because my mum is almost better than she was before her falls, at least in herself and her appetite, so hopefully, your mum will be the same!

I hope things turn out ok for all of you I really do.xxxxx
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-09-2008, 07:10 PM
They may not want to catheterise as it can be a major source of infection and a UTI in the elderly can be quite nasty (severe confusion etc). Catheterisation is usually only done as an absolute last resort, however with orthopaedics I would've thought they'd catherterise to prevent the strain on her when she needs to use the bed pan? But then I don't work in orthopaedics!

With regards to rehab, it might be worth considering a rehab/community hospital for a while before going home. The physios should be able to give an indication of what rehab potential your Mum has, if she has a good chance of becoming relatively independent again she may benefit from a stay in one of these hospitals. Get a member of your family to ask a member of staff on the ward to see if it's possible on d/c.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2