Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2011, 04:21 PM
Originally Posted by Adam Palmer View Post
If you have a dog that is not motivated by the reward your using then no learning occurs.

If you mean the example of praising a dog, the same thing applies, you withhold the praise until the dog complies.

Adam
- Adam....I fear you will never understand. Again I feel every post you write demonstrates your lack of understanding.
Adam P
Almost a Veteran
Male 

08-02-2011, 04:23 PM
Dog doesn't get the treat until it sits fact!

Not getting the treat is unpleasent fact!

Treat training will involve some unpleasentness fact!

Adam
Adam P
Almost a Veteran
Male 

08-02-2011, 04:24 PM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
- Adam....I fear you will never understand. Again I feel every post you write demonstrates your lack of understanding.
Having read your recent posts about Zeff recall I don't think I would want to understand your way of training.

Adam
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2011, 04:25 PM
have to admit all I have read is the title to this thread as there is no point getting into a debate on here so that certain members get 'air time'

The answer from me is no. Not just pet owners either - ANY owner, should not be using a prong collar.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2011, 04:34 PM
Having read your recent posts about Zeff recall I don't think I would want to understand your way of training.

Adam
- Adam...sinking that low, tut tut.
You will never understand dogs you have made that perfectly clear.
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2011, 04:39 PM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
- Adam...sinking that low, tut tut.
You will never understand dogs you have made that perfectly clear.
lol Tassle he is so good at teaching recall he has to give his dogs electric shocks to get them to comply - do you really care what he says about your dogs recall....I wouldnt.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2011, 04:43 PM
I have experience of a prong collar and can say that categorically there is no way pet owners should be using these devices. They work through causing the dog pain. I have seen it for myself, and it was not pleasant.

A lot of the schutzhund people use them, I believe, to agitate very high drive dogs when doing man work. But I don't agree with that either.

I have spent many happy hours watching police dogs train and have never, ever seen a prong collar used on any police dog.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2011, 05:03 PM
Dog doesn't get the treat until it sits fact!

Not getting the treat is unpleasent fact!

Treat training will involve some unpleasentness fact!

Adam
Adam, you don't wait until the dog sits. You reward each and every tiny increment of the behaviour. However, usually dogs sit so readily that often they had parked their bum before you have time to give the reward for any lesser approximation of the behaviour.

Down, is perhaps a better example as some dogs find it a little more confusing. Sooooo, head dips towards lure, reward. Second run through, head dips a little futher, reward that etc.

However, I've found the treat trail one of my favourite ways to teach it and the dog gets the rewards as he reaches further and further under the bridged leg (or arm with the teeny tinies) as they are there for the taking
Adam P
Almost a Veteran
Male 

08-02-2011, 05:08 PM
But you still withhold the treat until the dog has complied.

Adam
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2011, 05:22 PM
I'd rather get a mars bar for spelling unpleasant properly than a jerk with a prong collar for not.

Consider yourself jerked. (or maybe a jerk)

rune
Closed Thread
Page 10 of 71 « First < 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 20 60 > Last »