Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

08-02-2011, 03:45 PM
Originally Posted by sarah1983 View Post
Jesus, why does that guy in the video not just teach the dog to sit when he stops instead of hitting it with a leash? And that's his advice for PUPPIES???
Sarah , I would guess it's all about having absolute control . If you look at the sad specimen of a male in the video it probably makes him feel more of a man to have power over something.

I used to work with a man like that, he was dominated by his wife and used to take it out on the dogs choking them at one end while hitting them with a length of hose pipe at the other
Adam P
Almost a Veteran
Male 

08-02-2011, 03:51 PM
Originally Posted by sarah1983 View Post
So if prong collars don't work through pain how exactly do they work? At the very least the dog is going to be uncomfortable if it pulls and "do this or I'll cause you pain or discomfort" is not a good way to train imo.
It works by comfort v discomfort. The same way any training works.

Adam
Adam P
Almost a Veteran
Male 

08-02-2011, 03:53 PM
The pic was on line somewhere, if you will put stuff on a public domain then expect it to be utilised by the general public.

Btw if SB is reading this, nice dog!

Adam
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2011, 03:54 PM
Originally Posted by Adam Palmer View Post

Adam
Adam...you really must stop making me laugh! Not ALL training is about comfort/discomfort!
Well..mine isn't!
Meg
Supervisor

08-02-2011, 04:01 PM

Adam
One has to wonder about anyone who considers it acceptable for 'discomfort' and fear to play any part in the training of an animal.
It may be down to the parents who failed to teach the person empathy. Or perhaps they were bullied at school and feel the need to bully something in return .
Let's hope these people never have children.
Adam P
Almost a Veteran
Male 

08-02-2011, 04:02 PM
I'm afraid it is.

Example lure and reward to sit.

WHEN luring the dog experiences discomfort (mental) when trying to get the treat and not getting it. When the dog sits the treat is given and the discomfort relieved.

Another example, dog that has been recall trained with food, when the command is given the dog knows that getting back to the owner gets it food, but on the way back it experiences the (mental) discomfort of wanting but not getting the treat until its there.

Discomfort is present in all training/learning situations

Adam
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2011, 04:03 PM
I'm afraid it is.

WHEN luring the dog experiences discomfort (mental) when trying to get the treat and not getting it. When the dog sits the treat is given and the discomfort relieved.

Another example, dog that has been recall trained with food, when the command is given the dog knows that getting back to the owner gets it food, but on the way back it experiences the (mental) discomfort of wanting but not getting the treat until its there.

Discomfort is present in all training/learning situations

Adam
Hmm....

Nope....sorry. Maybe when you have a dog who is not motivated by food and/or toys you may understand this.

...but somehow I doubt it!
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2011, 04:05 PM
The pic was on line somewhere, if you will put stuff on a public domain then expect it to be utilised by the general public.

Btw if SB is reading this, nice dog!

Adam
And you found the photo on another forum after the member banned from here posted it. He also used the photo as an 'example' of how it must be ok because another member of that forum used it. Didn't wash on there and doesn't wash on here.

If you believe something is wrong, it is still wrong no matter who is using it
Adam P
Almost a Veteran
Male 

08-02-2011, 04:14 PM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
Hmm....

Nope....sorry. Maybe when you have a dog who is not motivated by food and/or toys you may understand this.

...but somehow I doubt it!
If you have a dog that is not motivated by the reward your using then no learning occurs.

If you mean the example of praising a dog, the same thing applies, you withhold the praise until the dog complies.

Adam
Meg
Supervisor

08-02-2011, 04:16 PM
I'm afraid it is.

More nonsense Adam and another argument used by your mentor, hush I hear his master voice again .

You clearly know very little about reward training, I would say a dog experiences anticipation at the prospect of the treat and one doesn't normally produce a treat then withhold it anyway. Is that what you do Adam on the odd occasion you use treats instead of pain to train.

If so I am not surprised your own little dog in a video your posted tried to avoid having contact with you even when a hand is proffered choosing instead to crawl away.
Closed Thread
Page 9 of 71 « First < 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 19 59 > Last »