Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Sosha
Almost a Veteran
Female 

03-02-2011, 04:10 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
Lots of ways of aquiring a 'rescue' dog which don't require going through the societies. Lots of dogs go through vets surgeries and need homes, look in the paper for rehomes...
rune
Which is what I did. "Urgent home needed" Ad. No regrets at all. That said you won't have the support of a rescue - go in with your eyes open so to speak.
Crysania
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-02-2011, 04:11 PM
Originally Posted by Sosha View Post
Which is what I did. "Urgent home needed" Ad. No regrets at all. That said you won't have the support of a rescue - go in with your eyes open so to speak.
I know folks who have done that. Here we have Craiglist and there are (sadly) plenty of "need to rehome" ads. I know people who have gotten dogs and cats from there and love their pets. Really it's just saving the dog or cat from going into a shelter.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-02-2011, 04:17 PM
Originally Posted by Julie View Post
I wouldn't know what was a genuine rescue that's why I would prefer to use a rescue. I have no problems paying for a rescue all mine have cost upwards of £100 - whatever we could afford at the time as a donation.
What on earth is a 'genuine' rescue!!! Surely ANY dog advertised as needing a home needs a home!

rune
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-02-2011, 05:03 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
What on earth is a 'genuine' rescue!!! Surely ANY dog advertised as needing a home needs a home!

rune

So any dog advertised is in your eyes a rescue ? I could be buying from a back yard breeder/puppy farmer but that's ok because their dogs need homes and I might add you suggest I support them by paying for a dog ?
Crysania
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-02-2011, 05:06 PM
So any dog advertised is in your eyes a rescue ? I could be buying from a back yard breeder/puppy farmer but that's ok because their dogs need homes and I might add you suggest I support them by paying for a dog ?
I don't know about other sites, but craiglist, where most people advertise for rehoming their pets here, allow only a small adoption fee. Any ads that ask for more are flagged and removed. In order to buy a puppy from a BYB (maybe $300-500) and make some money off of it, people would have to ask for a lot more.

The people I know got their dogs for $50-100 and their cats for $25-50.
Duck
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-02-2011, 05:09 PM
I have never had a puppy from a rescue as we have always had older rescue dogs one was from a rescue centre and another wasnt but was from a homeless man that said if we didnt take him he would have dumped him in the harbour. Jasper i bought as a puppy from a breeder but only because i didnt want to rescue an older dane due to the fact of never owning one before.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-02-2011, 05:24 PM
I think even you are capable of checking out the home/circumstances of a dog that needs rehoming.

Loads of dogs don't go into rescue homes but need decent homes.

Its a good cop out though to say that you would have a rescue but........

BTW-----I think everyone should have whatever they want be it pup from breeder or rescue pup/adult.

rune
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-02-2011, 06:36 PM
Originally Posted by dizzi View Post
I wouldn't home from the rescue we went to again (they've done some stuff since then that I really disagree with - like a FB campaign that they needed a certain dog rehoming or he'd be put to sleep... I won't home from a place with a destruction policy and they explicitly stated they didn't have one - this was a natty piece of emotional blackmail on their part)
Ah, I know the rescue you are on about so you'll be pleased to know he's been moved to the Dogs Trust. I agree that they didnt seem to be doing everything they could (fostering, moving to another rescue) but they've made the right decision in the end. However, if they had destroyed him I would've totally understood. How long do you keep a dog in rescue kennels for? There is the welfare of the dog to consider along with financial costs and sometimes it's kinder to PTS, especially if it's costing the life of another more rehomable dog. Controversial but it's the way I feel.

Anyway, I digress (just had to answer Dizzi's post!)

I have both rescued and had dogs from pups. If I had to choose then I would always choose a pup with a known background than a rescue (pup or adult) simply because of my own interests and activities. If I was confined to having a single dog in the household then from a breeder it would have to be. However, as long as I am in a position to own mulitple dogs then I can satisfy both needs to mould and train a pup of my own and also rescue.

I wonder on a daily basis how Jessie's life played out before she came to live with me. She is very different to my own dogs and I believe thats more down to the way she was treated before rather than genetic temperament. Her main issues were trust and timidity but i've worked on those and she is the most gentle, sweetest, loyal dog i've ever known.

Not all rescue dogs come with big issues, some may have simple ones that are easily sorted out but it's a hard thing to call. They could be a loose cannon in the kennel but a sweetheart in a home or vice versa. I dont think you'll ever know until you actually start living with that rescue dog.
GSDlover4ever
Almost a Veteran
Female 

03-02-2011, 07:48 PM
Miniature Schnauzer Rehome & Rescue
Mr & Mrs Durso, Essex. Tel: 01376 563072
Janet Callow, Stockport. Tel: 0161 439 3233

Northern Schnauzer Club Rescue
Co-ordinator, Mrs A McElroy, Bury Lancs. Tel:01204 886838

Snauzer Club of Great Britain
Mrs H Lockyer, Essex. Tel: 01992 892881
Jadey
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-02-2011, 10:05 PM
My first dog i got as a puppy from a breeder as i lived in an apartment and worked full time so no rescues would let me adopt and for my second we've also gone to a breeder.

We were looking on Many Tears for a puppy but they said any current dogs must be spayed/neutured and Milo's not done and i'm not planning on getting him done until he's at least two. The RSPCA won't rehome to me because i work on shifts and have long hours sometimes even though my housemate works on different shifts and we have someone next door who would come in if we're working longer than 4 hours (This is after a whole month off work to spend with the puppy).

So we've got another puppy and for my next one i will probably go to a breeder as well as i want a well bred Rottweiler bitch from good show lines as i want to try my hand at showing if she's good enough

But for my 4th dog i would love to rescue a dog, an oldie that everyone else overlooks but that depends on the timings.

I think whatever suits your situation at the time, i don't think anyone should be made to feel guilty for getting a puppy instead of a rescue, not everyone can rescue
Page 4 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »