View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Sara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-02-2011, 01:30 PM
I dont think buying a puppy is wrong, as long as it's from a reputable breeder, and you have the time and patience for one. I dont, however agree with the statements about being able to mould a puppy into what you want... Puppies are born with personalities and traits, and if it's not the right one for you, than there could be major problems. When you rescue an adult, the personality is already in place, you take the time to get to know the dog, and you'll know if it's a good match.

That being said, a good breeder should be able to match a pup's personality to you. My Sister's Westie pup was picked for her by the breeder, she was not able to choose. The breeder matched the pup to the best home, and Lauren got the perfect pup. I know it's fun choosing your pup, but good breeders know their pups best, and should be able to choose the right one for the right home.

I, personally would LOVE to own an Irish Terrier one day, but as they're rare here, I'll never see one in rescue, so I'd have to buy a pup... but I wont, at least for a long time, as I really cant justify filling a spot with a pup that a rescue will need...
BullseyesTail
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-02-2011, 01:38 PM
I've always dreamed of the day I could rescue - but having 5 children spaced out n such a way there was usually a baby or toddler in the house since 1989 - we went to a breeder for a puppy, when the time came to get another dog (our original family dog died when my oldest son was a baby).

So my youngest son is 8, dog savvy and I think I can now - finally rescue or foster our 2nd dog.

Our existing dog is nearly 11 and i got her from a breeder, when she was 2. I got her at a 'bargain' price (which in itself was £750 but she was crufts qualified and one of the best dogs in her breed). On condition I agreed to let the breeder breed one litter of pups and split the profit - if there was any.

So when I got her, she had lived in kennels for 2 years. I found her to be a dream to own - already trained by the breeder as she was a show dog but also... none of that mouthing stage, or destruction you can get with a pup and no toilet training. Despite being a kennel dog, she had been let out to exercise and trained to pee and poo on command! Way easier than weeks of housetraining!

One of my neighbours recently got a puppy and I had forgotten how time consuming and exhausting it is! Much rather get an older dog who really needs a home.

You can bring a dog up 'perfectly' btw and it can still develop problems or have issues. Even if you meet the dam, you never know if it had a sire or grandparent who had 'issues' behaviourally.

No dog is a clean slate, behaviourally.

Also if you are inexperienced, you risk making mistakes that may perpetuate problems or difficult behaviours. (Behaviours that seem cute or funny in a puppy may develop into serious problems later on - a less experienced owner is more likely to inadvertantly 'praise' things they should ignore).

Not all rescue dogs have huge issues. And those that do, deserve a second chance.

I feel it's just not ethical now my kids are older, for me to buy a dog from a breeder when so many need rehoming. But I understand other people feel differently.

There are breed rescues and maybe your chosen breed has one or two?

There's a lot to be said for a friendly, intelligent crossbreed that's eminently trainable.
dizzi
Almost a Veteran
Female 

03-02-2011, 01:43 PM
Originally Posted by BullseyesTail View Post
There's a lot to be said for a friendly, intelligent crossbreed that's eminently trainable.
We haven't quite got the "trainable" bit down since between his ears seems to be a vacant space for rent! But I guess they can cat test, they can attitude test in rescue centres - stupidity testing is a bit more of a rare need! (This is the dog who managed to get running to such a speed the other day that he couldn't stop and did a full forward roll)
BullseyesTail
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-02-2011, 01:56 PM
Originally Posted by dizzi View Post
We haven't quite got the "trainable" bit down since between his ears seems to be a vacant space for rent! But I guess they can cat test, they can attitude test in rescue centres - stupidity testing is a bit more of a rare need! (This is the dog who managed to get running to such a speed the other day that he couldn't stop and did a full forward roll)
Heheh! Our dog is very decorative but I think has a brick between her ears. Lucky someone else trained her before we got her! I've no clue how they managed it.
pippam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-02-2011, 02:07 PM
Done a little dog training so know a little thing or two about K9 behavior though this was 7 years ago when I studied animal care as part of the course. I would definately recognise normal behavior for a dog and none normal behavior though have no idea how i would cope with untrained puppy which is why I gave rescueing a second thought. I started researching and have discovered many dogs come having learned some basic comands like sit, stay and the recall.

Naturally dogs come with all kinds of personalities reguardless of where they come from at first.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-02-2011, 03:31 PM
Originally Posted by Julie View Post
The day rescues make it easier for people in flats/working/with children in the home, to adopt all my dogs will be rescues as it is all but one has and the next will be from a breeder because we just can't go as far as we have physically in the past to find a rescue who will let us adopt.
Lots of ways of aquiring a 'rescue' dog which don't require going through the societies. Lots of dogs go through vets surgeries and need homes, look in the paper for rehomes, some on e pupz and various other internet sites.

The owners may well be charging for the dogs but that doesn't mean the dogs don't deserve a home.

We get people contacting us all the time trying to rehome dogs.

rune
Crysania
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-02-2011, 03:40 PM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
that made me sad to read that
That made me sad too. I adopted an adult rescue. She's not "someone else's dog." She's MY dog. They gave her up. They dumped her. They relinquished any "ownership" of her. As far as I'm concerned, they were just holding onto her until a better home came along!

As for rescue vs. buying a puppy. Well, there are numerous reasons why I go with a rescue:

1. I don't want the hassle of finding a good breeder. They're few and far between and I really don't want to take the time to do all that research and worry.

2. I don't want to be put on some super long waiting list and have to wait 2+ years to get a puppy.

3. I'm not really into getting a puppy. I prefer adult or young adult (or even older puppy -- 8 months or so and above!).

4. I like that I'm saving a life. My dog was going to be put down in a shelter. Those puppies from a good breeder will go to a good home.

5. I really like BCs and Aussies and there are TONS of young adult BCs and Aussies in rescues and shelters.

6. Plus I'll admit this up front. I don't like the cost of buying a puppy from a good breeder. I don't want to pay $1000 for a puppy and then STILL have to get that puppy spayed/neutered, get all their shots, etc. I got an awesome dog for $250 from the rescue. That included spaying, shots, and treatment for worms (she had worms when she came into the shelter). I'd much rather put my money away for future vet bills or put it to training class.
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-02-2011, 03:48 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
Lots of ways of aquiring a 'rescue' dog which don't require going through the societies. Lots of dogs go through vets surgeries and need homes, look in the paper for rehomes, some on e pupz and various other internet sites.

The owners may well be charging for the dogs but that doesn't mean the dogs don't deserve a home.

We get people contacting us all the time trying to rehome dogs.

rune
I wouldn't know what was a genuine rescue that's why I would prefer to use a rescue. I have no problems paying for a rescue all mine have cost upwards of £100 - whatever we could afford at the time as a donation.
Kerriebaby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-02-2011, 03:49 PM
sadly, I am now probably in the category of not being able to have a rescue dog again (have a young baby, and will have another in a couple of years)
Crysania
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-02-2011, 03:50 PM
Originally Posted by Julie View Post
I wouldn't know what was a genuine rescue that's why I would prefer to use a rescue. I have no problems paying for a rescue all mine have cost upwards of £100 - whatever we could afford at the time as a donation.
Not all rescues are the same. I've found some with blanket policies (someone must be home, must have a 6-foot fence, etc.) but I've found many who are much smarter about how they go about adopting out to people.
Page 3 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »