Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-10-2008, 07:48 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
But have you had a go? ... oh, we have cows too
No...don't feel I need to to see what the dogs get from it when i can watch the dogs, if I'm not doing it....
It's not something I want to do really. I did at points in the past, but not now.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-10-2008, 07:53 PM
Aaaarrghhh! But it is what the border collie is bred to do ...

No not all BCs would prefer to herd ... but I bet the majority of working-bred dogs would! Our collies think it is a great job! (pun intended)

I do feel we are poles apart regarding this topic Ailsa, so will leave it there I think
Yes....it is, but that doesn't mean that they all want to do it....as you just said. I'm sure your collies do think it's a great job. As I said, that's good as they wouldn't be with you if they didn't (meaning your OH's working dogs).

I think we are only poles apart in that you seem to think ALL collies would prefer a life of herding to anything else, which I just don't believe is true at all. Not ALL BCs would prefer it (as you said) although I'm sure many do. Not all gundogs like to go on shoots, not all GSDs are able to work as herding dogs or protection dogs, not all corgis would want to herd cattle....as everyone said earlier in the thread, every dog has it's preferences about what it likes to do...it doesn't necessarily tie in with what it was BRED to do...
AliceandDogs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-10-2008, 08:39 PM
What makes you think Alfie would be no good with sheep Alice? Also, what makes you think he would choose agility over herding?

Our collies are all from working lines, yes, but so are all ISDS registered collies and the majority of farm bred collies - many of whom end up in pet households.
He's terrified of so much, that I can't see him not being scared of sheep! I'd LOVE to give it a go with him one day, don't get me wrong, but as you talk about herding being on another level for many BCs, Alfie is on another level when doing agility. He likes doing all the other things, but I just can't see him loving anything else in the same way he loves agility. In the same way you know your dogs would pick herding, I'm sure alfie would pick agility.
Page 21 of 21 « First < 11 18 19 20 21