Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-10-2008, 04:20 PM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
no matter how enthusiastic I am about obed.... vinnie just sits on his fat ar*e stareing at me ....waiting on the clicker coming out

Im going to have to combine the two....
Poor Vinnie
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-10-2008, 04:22 PM
Originally Posted by AliceandDogs View Post
As I doubt he would ever be much good with sheep, I wonder if agility to him has the same effect that herding does to some other collies. I can almost 100% guarantee you that Alf, being the dog that he is, would pick agility over herding.

It could also be to do with the fact that Moobli, your BCs are all from herding lines I think? So it really is bred into them very recently.
What makes you think Alfie would be no good with sheep Alice? Also, what makes you think he would choose agility over herding?

Our collies are all from working lines, yes, but so are all ISDS registered collies and the majority of farm bred collies - many of whom end up in pet households.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-10-2008, 04:23 PM
Originally Posted by red collar View Post
Are there any aspects of 'working' a dog that you feel you totally understand without having experienced it?

If so, would you consider spending some time alongside someone who does work their dog in that discipline to see whether you were correct in your original assumption?

You seem like an open minded person Ramble. It might be interesting to do that.
You are more than welcome to come up here Ailsa, and see our dogs at work, young dogs in training etc etc Also, if you are in the NW, there are loads of sheepdog trials held in that area each weekend.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-10-2008, 04:29 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
I've been around people working sheep (and herding cows when I think about it), I have been around people training and working with assistance dogs...not quite sure what you mean.
I am an open minded person (most of the time) but I'm not sure what you're getting at here. I only suggested that perhaps Kirstys dogs picked up on her enjoyment of it which is more than possible. They will also be praised for doing it as well, plus it is the only life they know. I have no doubt that they enjoy it, they wouldn't do it if they didn't, but at points there can be an element of 'dogs are best doing what they were bred to do' and actually, that isn't always the case at all.
I agree with what others have said, dogs do also show preferences, even within a breed, but they will also respond to the activities the handler enjoys the most. Example..all my dogs love dancing with me in the kitchen when no one else is in....because we have fun and they pick up on my enjoyment (it isn't HTm by the way...just a bit of dancing in the kitchen!!!!) It isn't in any of their breeding...but they love it!!!!!! Would my old BC have preferred dancing in the kitchen oherding in a field...definitely the former!!!! He was from farm stock...
I am clearly not explaining myself properly (nothing new there! ), but I do think that sheep herding for the average border collie is on another level to anything else you might do with them. I am not sure how I can prove it, but that is my honest opinion.

Working is not the only life my dogs know Ailsa - my four dogs (two working collies) are my pets first and foremost. I have also done agility and obedience with them, as well as tracking and searching. Herding is the one thing they love above all else.

A working life is the only life my hubby's dogs know - and I have no doubt that a few of them would also make good pets/agility/obedience dogs ... but some of them only want to work ... nothing else! There are two in particular who won't even come for walks - they just want to work sheep.

I do feel I am going round and round in circles now though, so will try to stop repeating myself.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-10-2008, 04:34 PM
Red Collar - I have to agree with all you have said, in such a concise and eloquent fashion. I am not sure I have anything more to add.

There are good working homes and there are good pet homes. There are bad working homes and there are bad pet homes.

Turning this conversation away from sheepdogs for a moment, how do people feel about the other thread on personal protection dogs? These GSD, Malinois, Dobes, Rotts etc are bought in by a reputable couple, trained to a high level of personal protection and then sold on for fairly high prices to people who require such a canine bodyguard. Is this okay? I personally do not have any problem with it, as long as the homes where these dogs are going are vetted, suitable and responsible.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-10-2008, 05:35 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
You are more than welcome to come up here Ailsa, and see our dogs at work, young dogs in training etc etc Also, if you are in the NW, there are loads of sheepdog trials held in that area each weekend.
I've seen dogs working sheep though...and cows...
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-10-2008, 05:38 PM
I am clearly not explaining myself properly (nothing new there! ), but I do think that sheep herding for the average border collie is on another level to anything else you might do with them. I am not sure how I can prove it, but that is my honest opinion.

Working is not the only life my dogs know Ailsa - my four dogs (two working collies) are my pets first and foremost. I have also done agility and obedience with them, as well as tracking and searching. Herding is the one thing they love above all else.

A working life is the only life my hubby's dogs know - and I have no doubt that a few of them would also make good pets/agility/obedience dogs ... but some of them only want to work ... nothing else! There are two in particular who won't even come for walks - they just want to work sheep.

I do feel I am going round and round in circles now though, so will try to stop repeating myself.
But herding is the only life most farm BCs know.
Not all BCs would prefer to herd...yours do, which is a good job really.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-10-2008, 05:40 PM
Red Collar - I have to agree with all you have said, in such a concise and eloquent fashion. I am not sure I have anything more to add.

There are good working homes and there are good pet homes. There are bad working homes and there are bad pet homes.

Turning this conversation away from sheepdogs for a moment, how do people feel about the other thread on personal protection dogs? These GSD, Malinois, Dobes, Rotts etc are bought in by a reputable couple, trained to a high level of personal protection and then sold on for fairly high prices to people who require such a canine bodyguard. Is this okay? I personally do not have any problem with it, as long as the homes where these dogs are going are vetted, suitable and responsible.
I have to say I think it is a totally appalling idea... there are enough dogs out there being treated as weapons.
I saw some Kerry Katona (is that her name) thing and she was getting one...just awful, cringeworthy stuff. Nope, can't see anything good about it at all.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-10-2008, 06:23 PM
I've seen dogs working sheep though...and cows...
But have you had a go? ... oh, we have cows too
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-10-2008, 06:27 PM
But herding is the only life most farm BCs know.
Not all BCs would prefer to herd...yours do, which is a good job really.
Aaaarrghhh! But it is what the border collie is bred to do ...

No not all BCs would prefer to herd ... but I bet the majority of working-bred dogs would! Our collies think it is a great job! (pun intended)

I do feel we are poles apart regarding this topic Ailsa, so will leave it there I think
Page 20 of 21 « First < 10 17 18 19 20 21 >