Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Vodka Vixen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-02-2008, 10:54 AM

Insurance/microchip

Hi all

Well Ruby is almost ready for her op but i wanted to make sure she was insured before she goes in.

Her previous owners have always stated that she is microchipped but have never passed on her details, i have requested them several times and am always told they will send them but never do.

I was going to go with Argos for her insurance and they ask the question - is she microchipped? if i put yes they ask for the tag number (which i dont have) so means i will have to put no.

Does anyone know if there is much difference in premiums whether chipped or not?

I am a little peeved to say the least, on the way they have acted since we took Ruby, insisted we keep in touch (which we have) but then wont pass on documents :smt017
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-02-2008, 11:04 AM
Simply take her to someone who scans, get her chip number then contact petlog that you are now her owner and they will write to the last know details and if no response then she will go into your ownership.
Becky
ellea
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-02-2008, 03:03 PM
Hi be care full with your insurance as I got stung with the one I had. You should be fine if your dog is under a certain age [ 8yrs ] I was with M.S for a good few years untill my G/S did her knee in and needed a op that's when I was told I had to pay her excess + a extra 8% of her bill [which was going to be £700+ ] up front befor her op as she was now over 8yrs old and for ever yr it would be a extra % as she got older. I told them to stuff it as people take out insurance to help to avoid big bills I checked out a few companys and most were doing the same when the dog [or cat] got to a certain age they added extra % on to the excess/ bill. She got her op done at less then half the price and is now a 13yr old going on 3yr and has no prolblem thanks to her vet
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-02-2008, 05:47 PM
take her to the vets to get her scanned,your details can be changed normally around £15, what is the point of her being chipped but in someone elses name? not sure about the insurance side though sorry
ATD xxx
Vodka Vixen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-02-2008, 08:18 AM
Is there anywhere that does it that isnt a vet?

I didnt want the vet to see her untill she is insured.

I'll explain my worry, Ruby has a slight "tight lip" which causes her no problems at all but who knows, it may do one day so, i want her insured before the vet points it out and we are then not covered for any future problems, a bit sly i know but i know what insurance companies are like
thandi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-02-2008, 08:22 AM
if you were nearer, I would offer to scan for for you.....unless you fancy a trip to east sussex? I dont mind driving up as far as South Godstone (where the a22 meets the m25) if it would help?
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

18-02-2008, 08:23 AM
A rescue centre might have the facility to scan her if you have some near you.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-02-2008, 08:27 AM
Dog Warden or even a police station may have a scanner, you're a bit far for me to do it lol!
When you get her number pm it to me and I'll check her details for you to make sure she is registered.
Becky
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-02-2008, 08:43 AM
dogs trust & cats protection jabe scanners. Not all wardens/police do we (cats protection) have had a lot of trouble with the council picking cats up and not scanning them. Why not take her to a different vets than your normal and ask them just to scan her to find out her id number and you change it yourself?
AtD xxx
kydandco
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-02-2008, 11:58 AM
You've probably sorted your microchip registration out by now, but just in case - I rescued Raegen a month ago. Like you, needed her registered to me to be able to sort insurance. I phoned petlog and explained. They were extremely helpful, put as much info as I had on her (which wasn't much as a rescue dog) into their computer - previous name, previous owner and postcode of the owner, breed details, colour etc. They were great!! Found Raegen on database; IMMEDIATELY put me down as her new owner, just incase, god forbid we lost her. I then filled in and sent off the required forms and proof of ownership - do you have anything that says she is now yours?? Everything done and dusted in about 10 days. You cannot do the changes yourself on line/by phone - you have to send in the forms and the £15 fee. Once it's done, you can make changes yourself for 'free' on line and keep your records updated for life, as many times as you need to.
Best wishes and good luck!! xx
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >