View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
anna0000
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-10-2010, 09:13 PM

Westie with terminal illness (update @ post 18)

Hi, My westie is 14 and has had loads of lumps removed over the years from her chest area, but recently we found a bigger one more at the front, anyway the vet said he can't operate anymore. we have just got to make her comfortable and happy etc, she's now got some black scabs and the part of her chest where she had alot of lumps, and we have been bathing it, she seems not to bad, she was eating really well but recently she didnt eat so much, although this week she started to eat abit more. she goes for small walks every day just up the road and out in the garden. Does anyone know of anything else i can do for her? Also I would love to talk online with anyone else going through the same thing.I know to some people she is only a dog but she's not to me. I wish there were hospices or simliar for dogs, a chance for owners to meet up with others and their dogs. Sorry I've gone on but sometimes it gets to me, esp the frustration that I can't help her and make her better.
Tressa
New Member!
Female 

28-10-2010, 09:28 PM
My heart goes out to you - so very sad. I will leave the advice to others with experience, but I send you warm thoughts. The only comfort is that you have given her a very long and good life and may she have a peaceful ending. Best wishes.
scottyvdub
Dogsey Senior
Male 

28-10-2010, 09:36 PM
again sorry not the best for advice, but my thoughts are with you, my first dog with my mum when i was younger was a westie wonderfull characters. the only thing i would say is try not to share negative feelings with her, as hard as that is
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-10-2010, 09:38 PM
Sending huge hugs xxxxxxxxxx

You sound like you are doing everything for her, giving her all the love and everything she needs, keep doing that, and enjoy every minute, don't think about tomorrow, enjoy today with her, don't let her see you sad or cry. The best bit of advice I got was "Don't let her get depressed for a minute."

She has been so lucky to have lived with you for so long, you're obviously doing a good job caring for her so well.

Our dog has terminal cancer and he is only 6, everyday I wake up thinking how unfair it is, he is so young, he is on chemo so doing well for now, but it can't be cured, and after this course when the cancer comes back, probably in under a years time, we are going to have to let him go, it's so sad, he's not ready to go. But I thank god that I can let him go when the time is right and he doesn't have to suffer, like humans with cancer do, such pain.

I feed him everything he loves, raw pork ribs, chicken wings, I cook him a chicken weekly and let him nibble the skin off like he loves to do! I cook delicious meals for him twice a day. He always has a bone nearby. When he wants hugs I give him plenty, I let him sleep on our bed whenever he wants. I never tug at his lead or raise my voise. He goes out for walks when and as far as he likes, he takes as long as he likes. I try to meet up with all his doggy friends when he's up to it, and take him on short trips out and about.

Like you, he's had a fantastic life with us, albeit for only 4 years, and I tell myself that as often as I can.

Stick around here, like you say, it's only dog lovers that understand. Sending lots of health and happiness xxxxx
jordanio0207
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-10-2010, 09:46 PM
Awww bless her I really feel for you I have a boy westie he is 4, they are lovely dogs. It's very sad to have a dog very ill, we lost my childhood dog when I was 15 and I still get upset over it now,it's never just a dog they are very much apart of your family.
My uncles mastiff girl is having a biopsies tommorow it's really upset us, she is only 5, the vet said they are quite sure it's cancer were keeping our fingers crossed it's not. I wish I could say something to help you, im sorry I can't
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-10-2010, 05:43 AM
You sound to me like you're doing all you can for your precious girl..... I can't really offer any advice on that score.

I hope she continues for a while yet. You will know when it's time to help her go.....

Big hugs to you xx
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-10-2010, 06:21 AM
I feel for you and understand. I disagree that you are not helping her. As long as your beloved pet is not in pain, I think you are doing everything you can for them. Giving them as much love and affection and care as they could possibly get in their old age.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

29-10-2010, 06:29 AM
I lost a young dog to cancer 8 years ago he was 41/2.

I agree with AG just do everything as normal and only what he can manage just spoil him rotten. Our dog was on palliative steroids to help him through.

(((Hugs))).
katandcolin
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-10-2010, 06:50 AM
My family lost our beloved westie bonnie recently so I know what u must be going through. Your girl is so obviously loved, just keep spoiling her and showing her how much she is loved . Sorry can't say anything to help, but thinking of u and ur furbaby xxxxx
k9paw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-10-2010, 11:43 AM
Sorry can't give any real advice, just keep giving her all the love and care that you are. Thoughts with you all x
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >