Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
John sb
New Member!
Male 

20-02-2012, 08:51 PM

Raw feeding advice

Hello everybody Im thinking about feeding my 10 week old pup a raw diet soon, to take some of the hassle out of it I've been looking at the natural instinct range of ready made food, does anybody feed this to their dogs? Do they think that it is good for our pets? Thanks in advance!
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-02-2012, 08:55 PM
I have fed raw for circa 11 years now and my younger dog was raised on it from 7 weeks old.

Natural Instinct is very good but too expensive for me I am afraid.
John sb
New Member!
Male 

20-02-2012, 11:27 PM
Do you think that the meat they use will be good quality? After reading on the internet it sounds as though some of these places use meat from diseased animals is this the case? Natural instinct sounds quite good but Im not very trusting of people when it comes to making money some people will do anything. There is a wholesale place near me that sells the same type of thing but its only 50p for a pound of meat, do you think its too cheap and probably be the type of meat from bad animals? Thanks.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-02-2012, 11:33 PM
Originally Posted by John sb View Post
Do you think that the meat they use will be good quality? After reading on the internet it sounds as though some of these places use meat from diseased animals is this the case? Natural instinct sounds quite good but Im not very trusting of people when it comes to making money some people will do anything. There is a wholesale place near me that sells the same type of thing but its only 50p for a pound of meat, do you think its too cheap and probably be the type of meat from bad animals? Thanks.
Do you worry about diseased meat being used in canned food or bags of kibble?

There are strict guidelines about what may and may not be put in Pet food and contrary to a lot of scaremongering animal feed stuffs from reputable suppliers are not filled with diseased etc animals.

The contents, with the exception of green tripe, should be fit for human consumption.

Buying meat "off the hook" is bound to be cheaper than buying a premixed product, in containers which are delivered.

FWIW I have attended an evening with Natural Instinct, sampled their product (well my dogs did) and their plant is close to where I live and I would have no problems feeding this to my dogs if I chose to spend that amount on food.

http://www.pfma.org.uk/
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2012, 07:56 AM
50p/lb is the going price for meat from most raw pet food supplies so I wouldn't think the price meant it was bad quality.

I believe that Natural Instinct is a very good food or high quality. I also do not feed it because it's too expensive.
pippam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2012, 08:03 AM
Try Prize choice as a starter its much cheaper and just as easy to use, the quality of meat has improved a lot in recent years.

Berriewoods is another straight forward order online site also good.

Though with prize choice you can get in most pets at homes and other pet stores/ garden centres so its to get a hold of. Works out 89p 500g packet you get more in packet then most suppliers and its ideal for smaller freazer spaces as their is not normally a minimum order and delivery is fairly cheap.
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2012, 08:11 AM
Isn't Prize Choice only 400g a packet?
pippam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2012, 08:38 AM
Originally Posted by Moon's Mum View Post
Isn't Prize Choice only 400g a packet?
Unless its gone down since the last time I checked when it was at pets at home it was 500g at 89p

my local garden centre were selling them for 79p
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-02-2012, 08:50 AM
http://www.prizechoice.co.uk/product...eats/index.php

As far as I know, it's always been 400g. Most other places sell 1lb (454g) but I always need to add a bit extra if I feed Prize Choice as it's under.
IanIOW
Dogsey Senior
Male 

21-02-2012, 08:51 AM
If you check out the Prize Choice website it comes in 400g blocks and as far as I'm aware has always been that.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >