Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-07-2014, 10:14 PM

Boarding for the first time?

So the family reunion is coming up. I haven't been to one in years. I really want to go this year as family members are wondering why I hate them so much, but I don't hate them... it's just very hard for me to get out there.

We have a family member who is not expected to live to see next years reunion and this is my only chance to see him as he comes down from Ohio. I have missed like the last 5 reunions at least.

So here is the situation. We are all going to be going. Nobody is going to stay home this time. It's only one day. We leave at about 10:00 a.m. on Saturday and get home about 7:00 p.m. Sunday.

I think it's safe to leave Jadey outside in the backyard enclosure for that short amount of time with a nice tarp for shade, a big dog house, and plenty of food and water. It's only for a day, does this sound okay?

What is NOT safe is to even think about putting Nigredo in there with her. That being said, he'll need to be boarded for that amount of time.

BEFORE people jump on me for treating the dogs differently, there is more than one reason why I can't board Jade, too

#1 She's not altered and she's a bitch, not allowed in most places
#2 She's anti social/aggressive with most dogs and people, BIG NO
#3 She is over 11 years old, and they frown upon dogs that age
#4 At her age, I no longer fully vaccinate... which is also not allowed

Nigredo has never been boarded before and I have extremely little experience with it in general. Any advice would be useful. If I really have to, I'll miss the event again... but I sure would like to go this year
Timber-
Almost a Veteran
Female 

17-07-2014, 10:31 PM
Are you serious?
DaisyD0g
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-07-2014, 10:58 PM
That's not 1 day, that is 2 days, 10am Saturday until 7pm Sunday.

What about your vet? will they board?

I strongly recommend AGAINST leaving her outside, that is something I would never do. IMHO! you have to re-think this.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-07-2014, 11:56 PM
Hello, I'm serious and don't need unhelpful and condescending answers, thanks. Most dogs live their lives outside in this town, as have many of ours but I don't do it anymore. A different culture altogether, not that it's really relevant now. Judge that if you want, but I'd rather get helpful answers.

Daisydog, I don't WANT to leave her there... and it's not two full days. I really think it'll be okay for a short period of time. It's only about a day and a half. My vet will board, but I have not boarded with them before.

I cannot take the dogs with me... and though I might be able to convince my dad to stay and care for her, the last time I left her to him, I came home to a limping dog with no explanation, some people might remember this incident. I suppose I'll probably just stay home with them and let everyone else go.
DaisyD0g
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-07-2014, 12:22 AM
Well I am not going to argue over the length of time, 2 days, 1 day, whatever... you seem like you are going to do it anyway so why ask for peoples opinions.

If your vet boards, then that is what I would be doing, they know Jade and they will accommodate for her accordingly. You can make as many reasons up as you like for not boarding her there, but unless they outright say NO, then you should be considering it.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-07-2014, 12:28 AM
Thanks, and no I have not decided... which is why I asked. They do know Jade, they know she has to be muzzled for even simple procedures, they know she snarls at most dogs she sees in there.

I'm pretty sure they dislike her but perform their job because it's their obligation. I'm not making excuses, but I must follow policy in places.

If you could find a boarding place that takes aggressive animals that are not spayed or "fully" (overly IMO) vaccinated near Atlanta, please show me to it and I'll board her there. Have a feeling you're going to have as much trouble finding one as I will.

In retrospect, I'll probably stay home with her if it's deemed really unsafe to leave her alone.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

18-07-2014, 08:11 AM
Originally Posted by mjfromga View Post
So the family reunion is coming up. I haven't been to one in years. I really want to go this year as family members are wondering why I hate them so much, but I don't hate them... it's just very hard for me to get out there.

We have a family member who is not expected to live to see next years reunion and this is my only chance to see him as he comes down from Ohio. I have missed like the last 5 reunions at least.

So here is the situation. We are all going to be going. Nobody is going to stay home this time. It's only one day. We leave at about 10:00 a.m. on Saturday and get home about 7:00 p.m. Sunday.

I think it's safe to leave Jadey outside in the backyard enclosure for that short amount of time with a nice tarp for shade, a big dog house, and plenty of food and water. It's only for a day, does this sound okay?

What is NOT safe is to even think about putting Nigredo in there with her. That being said, he'll need to be boarded for that amount of time.

BEFORE people jump on me for treating the dogs differently, there is more than one reason why I can't board Jade, too

#1 She's not altered and she's a bitch, not allowed in most places
#2 She's anti social/aggressive with most dogs and people, BIG NO
#3 She is over 11 years old, and they frown upon dogs that age
#4 At her age, I no longer fully vaccinate... which is also not allowed

Nigredo has never been boarded before and I have extremely little experience with it in general. Any advice would be useful. If I really have to, I'll miss the event again... but I sure would like to go this year
No it does`nt sound OK, its 2 days for a start, you have no secure fencing so anyone can walk round back and do anything to her............

If you cant get someone to look after her, then you cant go , but then she has spent most of her life locked up in that enclosure so nothing new there.........I`m surprised you even asked to be honest, surely you knew people on this site would think that is unacceptable.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-07-2014, 08:21 AM
Originally Posted by Jackie View Post
No it does`nt sound OK, its 2 days for a start, you have no secure fencing so anyone can walk round back and do anything to her............

If you cant get someone to look after her, then you cant go , but then she has spent most of her life locked up in that enclosure so nothing new there.........I`m surprised you even asked to be honest, surely you knew people on this site would think that is unacceptable.
Our neighbors will be looking closely at our house to ensure nobody prowls about, actually. Nobody is going to get all the way into the backyard unnoticed, there will be lots of lights and eyes on the house very, very often. She would bark, anyway.

Meh, I suppose it sounds a lot worse to most people here than it does to me. I see dogs locked in cages and never let out all the time. She's never been treated like that, even though you claim she spent her entire life locked in there... which isn't even remotely true. Not being allowed in the house and never being taken from the cage are two different things, but I digress. Not going there this morning.

In retrospect, I am kind of sorry I asked. I'll abandon this thread now and make my decision privately. I have until Aug 14th to figure something out anyway. I don't wish to argue about it and I should have known you'd at least come here and dredge up the past and whatnot to put more emphasis on your response.

Good day.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

18-07-2014, 08:33 AM
Originally Posted by mjfromga View Post
Our neighbors will be looking closely at our house to ensure nobody prowls about, actually. Nobody is going to get all the way into the backyard unnoticed, there will be lots of lights and eyes on the house very, very often. She would bark, anyway.

Meh, I suppose it sounds a lot worse to most people here than it does to me. I see dogs locked in cages and never let out all the time. She's never been treated like that, even though you claim she spent her entire life locked in there... which isn't even remotely true. Not being allowed in the house and never being taken from the cage are two different things, but I digress. Not going there this morning.

In retrospect, I am kind of sorry I asked. I'll abandon this thread now and make my decision privately. I have until Aug 14th to figure something out anyway. I don't wish to argue about it and I should have known you'd at least come here and dredge up the past and whatnot to put more emphasis on your response.

Good day.
I`m sure you will............
lorniec
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-07-2014, 11:13 AM
Would you neighbour stay at your house ? or would Jade be funny with them?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >