Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-07-2011, 12:47 PM

Watermelon and cucumber?

Louie and I took a long walk the other day - I had errands to run and he needed a good walk so why not kill two birds with one stone.. anyway I'd packed a bottle of water that had got ice cubes in too and a travel bowl and off we went.

Now I take treats with me and it got me thinking, when I kept hamsters if they were ever going anywhere in their tavel boxes of which water bottles are not easily usable and I know show hamsters only have cucumber instead of water at shows - so they can't get water on their fur but still stay hydrated. We'd put cucumber in so they didn't dehydrate and also so they kept cool.. Which got me thinking about the dogs..

So basically can dogs have watermelon or cucumber as a treat.. if they can it'll keep them hydrated and they also have natural sugars (I think - not a fruit or veg person) so technically they should be good for them as a treat on a hot day...right?

Apologies if I am just waffling and thinking in the wrong direction - it is very warm lol and I don't do well...
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-07-2011, 12:52 PM
Watermelon and cucumbers are fine for dogs, however unless you are giving large amounts it is not going to realistically provide much water or sugar for them.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-07-2011, 12:57 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Watermelon and cucumbers are fine for dogs, however unless you are giving large amounts it is not going to realistically provide much water or sugar for them.
Oh no it'd just be on walks instead of treats.. thank you
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

03-07-2011, 12:59 PM
Ollie loved cucumber and melon. Never saw any nasty effects for him.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-07-2011, 01:01 PM
I don't give my dogs watermelon as I do not buy it, I would be interested in knowing if it has the same effect on dogs as it does on me.

Yes, it makes me want to pee a lot..........
CuteRotts
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-07-2011, 01:05 PM
Gave the boys a piece of cucumber each yesterday - Dennis wolfed his down, Bill spent the next 15 minutes rolling on his!

Gave Dennis a piece of my melon later - it was still in the hall 2 hours later.

I don't think I'll convince either of them to be vegetarian
Lou
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-07-2011, 01:10 PM
Diesel loves cucumber I always buy an extra one for the fish, and while I'm cutting it up for them, Diesel waits for his bit too
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-07-2011, 01:39 PM
Cain's never had melon as I don't like it, but he really love cucumber. But I was amazed, as it doesn't really taste of anything, but he loves it
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-07-2011, 01:49 PM
I don't buy any fruit or veg for myself - it's all for the rabbits and dogs - makes my shopping trolley look healthy though
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-07-2011, 03:23 PM
i dont buy melon so mine havent tried it but they love cucumber, asbo's favourite treat is whole cherry tomatoes
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >