Our sister sites
Our sister sites
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2005, 04:54 PM

Very strange behaviour - A bit long

I've just come home from a walk to the woods with Luna

On the lawn here behind the block, there were a branch from a tree - really thick - and Luna was absolutely nuts with this and chewed away.. I walked towards the blocks, and sat down at the end of the path.. Luna started coming towards me, but really hesitant.. and approx midway she lay down...

I went towards her and she ran back to the branch.. Okay I thought, I'll just sit in the grass and let her chew for a bit..

She took the branch and went a bit away from me.. after about 5 or 10 minutes I got up and started towards the block again.. She weren't coming, so I went back for her.. And here comes the strange part... : She GROWLED at me. She has never ever done that...

I rected right away, and in a firm angry voice I told her no and she let go of the branch immediately (sp?) and backed away... I put her collar and leash on and we went home..

Have anyone any idea, why she did this? Earlier today I saw another dog being just as nuts about the branch...

But she have chewed sticks and branches before, without acting this way..
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

17-06-2005, 05:18 PM
Originally Posted by bellaluna
I've just come home from a walk to the woods with Luna

On the lawn here behind the block, there were a branch from a tree - really thick - and Luna was absolutely nuts with this and chewed away.. I walked towards the blocks, and sat down at the end of the path.. Luna started coming towards me, but really hesitant.. and approx midway she lay down...

I went towards her and she ran back to the branch.. Okay I thought, I'll just sit in the grass and let her chew for a bit..

She took the branch and went a bit away from me.. after about 5 or 10 minutes I got up and started towards the block again.. She weren't coming, so I went back for her.. And here comes the strange part... : She GROWLED at me. She has never ever done that...

I rected right away, and in a firm angry voice I told her no and she let go of the branch immediately (sp?) and backed away... I put her collar and leash on and we went home..

Have anyone any idea, why she did this? Earlier today I saw another dog being just as nuts about the branch...

But she have chewed sticks and branches before, without acting this way..
J when she stoped and lay down/wentback/growled it sounds as if either she thought she was going to be punished or was guarding. Has she been shouted at for dragging a branch ...or anything in the past..are you sure she was not growling in play?
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2005, 05:21 PM
No, I've always encouraged her to bring sticks or whatever she finds to me... And did this today aswell, but it was a bit too big for her to carry around.

Hmmm could perhaps have been a play growl, but she has never done that before and usually let me take the stick, branch or ball to throw for her...
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

17-06-2005, 05:42 PM
I agree with Minihaha about the play growling.Abe used to play snarl/growl/grumble/bark when he was encouraging me to dare take one of his toys and wasnt ever meant serious.

When she growled-were her hackles up???
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2005, 05:44 PM
Uhm, now that you mention it no, they werent...

Argh now I feel all bad for not playing along
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

17-06-2005, 05:47 PM
ahh good!

With Abe,his hackles gave away his state of mind.If they were only up only on scruff of neck-he was playing.

But if they were up from head to bum-he meant business.
Carole
Supervisor

17-06-2005, 05:47 PM
a growl is Star's invitation to play with her although it can be scary if you dont know her.
Meg
Supervisor

17-06-2005, 05:48 PM
J if Luna was not playing..and has not been 'punished' for a similar offence it may be 'resource guarding' but that doesn't sound like Luna....
If the branch was not too big for you to lift you could go back and take Luna's favourite toy/treat (keep it hidden)then when she is playing with the branch exchange one for the other so that you have the branch
A lot depends on the body language displayed at the time..playful or agressive ?
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-06-2005, 05:58 PM
Well I'll try this on our next walk. Its still lying on the grass.

I know when she means business her hackles are raised all the way down.

Its just that I've never had her growl like this before.. Neither play or resource wise...

Only if she's heard a noise in the appartment and is protecting me..
Meg
Supervisor

17-06-2005, 06:07 PM
J. when Amy is playing with a toy on the lawn she will crouch down and growl at me with the toy between her front legs, she is saying'come and get it I dare you' in the hope that I will play chase ..if I ignore her and turn away she will bring it to me, she often does this when I am hanging out the washing and drop a clothes peg. I know from her ears, hackles and the look in her eyes that she is only playing ...perhaps when you went to sit down you confused Luna....
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >