Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2009, 11:34 AM

Good thoughts and tips needed for Oldie

Laddie my shorthaired pointer is nearly 15. He is on all the supplements and metacam, wears a fleece and is on Lite dogfood. He does have spondylosis (arthritis of the spine) and I suspect he has little feeling one back leg because of this. He is reasonably active - potters about when he feels like it. He`s stone deaf and partially blind but seems to enjoy life.
Over the last week he has been falling over and finding it hard to get up again. He needs someone to help him. He`s never left alone and there is a willing crew to pick him up again, and its not distressing him.
Does anyone have any other ideas of ways to help him? He used to respond well to acupuncture but the last 2 courses didn`t help so we stopped it.
Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2009, 12:22 PM
I dont have any advice - sorry but just wanted to send some positive vibes your way.
I am sure someone will have ideas but until then will (((hugs))) do.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2009, 12:41 PM
I, too, have an oldie, but can't offer any advice, Claire - seems to me you are doing pretty much everything.

Hugs hon x
lovezois
Fondly remembered
Female 

15-02-2009, 01:03 PM
No advice here eiher but just wanted to let you know that Laddie will be in mythoughts and to send him positive vibes
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

15-02-2009, 02:23 PM
In what way are you asking for suggestions to help him... do you mean to keep him supple??

The only thing I can think off , is swimming... (hydrotherapy) this will help his joints and free up the muscles.

But you need to look at things carefully ,will he enjoy the treatment.. or will it stress him out and so on.

I wish you well in your coming time.. bless him , he seems to be fighting old age with a vengeance.

Not a lot else to suggest, but my thoughts go with you.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2009, 03:23 PM
I suppose really I`m preparing myself for the inevitable and hoping the weather will change as that helps. It`s very damp ATM. Has anyone tried and supplements (apart from Glucosamine / chond. / cod liver oil) that have made a difference? I did try Devils Claw but that didn`t seem to do anything. Does Rhus tox work?
talassie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2009, 03:39 PM
So glad that Laddie has the security and love that he needs to live out his days in peace.
Hope the weather gets better for you. Have you tried salmon oil? I have heard that is good for the joints.
EBMEDIC
Dogsey Junior
Male 

15-02-2009, 03:51 PM
How about asking the Vet for an opinion. I can think another option but am reluctant to offer advice on the NET as it may be misinterpreted by onlookers.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

15-02-2009, 05:18 PM
We are already suffering problems with Ollies joints, he is 4 in June.
I really hope Laddie picks up and the warm weather arrives quickly.
I contacted Ollies breeder because the Vet stressed him out so much that I unless really necessary I want to try other ways to help him she suggested Aloe Vera forever freedom it is £24.99 a litre but if it works we are prepared to pay for it as long as he he needs it. His breeder said it takes 2 weeks to get into the system she has 2 of her older dogs on it and swears by it so I will let you know a week on Wednesday if it works.
He has always had some sort of supplement for his joints and is currently on Vetzyme high strength joint tablets.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2009, 05:58 PM
Thanks. Your poor dog - a friend has 2 Bernese and she had to have the cruciate`s done on her old boy. Such heavy dogs! But very sweet.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >