View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2009, 05:27 PM
Early morning and evening here, or one or the other if I am feeling lazy.

I have to say that is really does bug me when people take their dogs out in the blazing sun across fields (or around towns) with no water sources. On my lunch break today (I go home for lunch) I drove past a woman with three dogs -- a Bullmastiff, a Collie and a young pup that looked like a Weimeraner -- riding a bike along the road while the poor dogs looked near collapse running after her. This was at 1pm, sunny and nearly 30 degrees.
JanieM
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-06-2009, 05:35 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
Early morning and evening here, or one or the other if I am feeling lazy.

I have to say that is really does bug me when people take their dogs out in the blazing sun across fields (or around towns) with no water sources. On my lunch break today (I go home for lunch) I drove past a woman with three dogs -- a Bullmastiff, a Collie and a young pup that looked like a Weimeraner -- riding a bike along the road while the poor dogs looked near collapse running after her. This was at 1pm, sunny and nearly 30 degrees.
Riding a bike!!!!! Poor dogs, surely thats tantamount to cruelty in this heat?
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2009, 05:46 PM
Originally Posted by JanieM View Post
Riding a bike!!!!! Poor dogs, surely thats tantamount to cruelty in this heat?
I think so to, but I see it all the time.
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2009, 05:48 PM
I walk early (between 6 & 7) then if it's not too hot I'll do a very short walk (15 mins) round the back field at about 2pm.

Then they'll get a long walk at 6pm.

If it's too hot to go for a walk in the afternoon they just have the run of the garden. I don't cope well in the heat anyway, so I can sympathise with a dog having a fur coat on.
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2009, 06:08 PM
Woody gets a 6.30am and a 6.30pm walk every day regardless of the weather.

The only thing that changes in this heat is his midday walk which either doesn't happen or involves a quick off lead run about and dunk in the river (if we're out for a picnic etc). We will always make sure there is shade and we have fresh water for him or we wont go.

I'm not sure I would do it this heat though. 25 and below is OK, but anything above that is too much I think. Woody is great at knowing his own limits though so we have that reassurance going for us.

ETA: the walk lengths are less in this heat too e.g. we're just back from the 6.30pm walk which was 30 minutes including a stop off at the shop, as opposed the the 1.5 hours on the cooler days.
valandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2009, 06:10 PM
I go out every morning at 9 am, followed by a 2pm very short walk then another at 6-8 pm for the evening walk. If its too hot i tend to take water with me and go where ponds are so she can cool off. Also the walks usually arnt that long, when i know im getting hot i know she will be hot. So we just take it easy.

Also ive noticed that when she foams at the mouth she is too hot and just take her in.

As for food , her bowls are full all day and she can eat when she likes
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

28-06-2009, 06:38 PM
Ollie has one walk in the morning at around 7.30 8.00 am he goes as far or not as he chooses he is still fed at the same times if he chooses to eat earlier or later then I will work with him he is big and has such a heavy coat that he tends to be very sensible in the heat he mostly stays indoors where it is cool and if he does venture out we have the gazebo up for him.
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2009, 06:46 PM
mine go out at 6am and at about 7pm, will a quick wander round the block at lunchtime. It has still been hot in the evening, so I try to take them somewhere they can have a swim.
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-06-2009, 07:47 PM
We have just got back from our evening walk, we met four lovely puppies and stayed out longer than usual letting Kismet run them all ragged! A black lab, a little springer, a beagle and a gsd/rottweiller cross... The beagle had no recall and we used Kismet and Pharaoh to get him and bring him back.. It was great fun, but poor Kismet is crashed out puffing like a steam train on the rug...

I'm watching her breathing and when she stops panting madly, I will get them their dinners
MaryS
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-06-2009, 08:36 PM
Its only been 21-3 degrees here so far but we had our first seaswim this morning halfway through the walk.

Over 25 degrees and I walk at 0630-0830 or 20300-2230 if moonlight. Feeding times as usual are 1 hr after walking and lighter meals ( 10-15% less food rather than a change).

If its hot for days on end I hose down Ilo the FL after the am walk and she lies in the shade, still wakes up panting though.
Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »